May challenge - Alien excavation

Deadline for entry:

April challenge Voting open!

Crankshaft's Sketchbook

28 Feb 2015 21:02 #9208 by Charlotte
Replied by Charlotte on topic Crankshaft's Sketchbook
I work and save final images at 300 ppi, but save copies at 72 or 96 ppi for the web (usually 72). Obviously lower res might end up looking blurrier or lower quality but computer screens can't show a higher res anyway so for the web it's not really much point saving at a high or "medium resolution". At least that's how I understand it. But I'm only a geek (according to a presumably thoroughly reliable facebook test) and not a nerd or a dork, so I guess I might be wrong...

Any an all misspellings are henceforth blamed on the cats.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

28 Feb 2015 21:22 #9209 by Banj
Replied by Banj on topic Crankshaft's Sketchbook

The original factory is 4598 w by 2390 h pixels at 200 ppi. It's saved then as 1600 by 832 at 100 ppi. Does 200 seem low for this piece? I'm not planning on printing it but will that cause problems later on?

All that matters is pixel dimensions and the 4k that you are painting at is fine even for printing. The numbers people are mentioning for pixel resolution (in your case, the 200ppi) are completely meaningless unless used in conjunction with a physical measurement for printing. For example 21cm at 300ppi (which would result in a canvas 6300 pixels high or wide).

28 Feb 2015 21:45 #9210 by Domtopia
Replied by Domtopia on topic Crankshaft's Sketchbook

But I'm only a geek (according to a presumably thoroughly reliable facebook test) and not a nerd or a dork...

You have been "tested" and you are a geek!! haha!! That's awesome!!

I have always thought of myself as a nerd. But, maybe I am a geek!! However, my understanding is that a dork is an undesirable designation... as is dweeb. So, hopefully I am not either of those!

Everything's on the right!!!

It's like driving abroad!

28 Feb 2015 21:56 #9211 by Charlotte
Well the test seemed to consider dorks clumsy but lovable or some such but I agree it doesn't have the best ring to it. To my understanding nerds are more techie than geeks, so I think geek is probably OK for me. Although come to think of it, you do say computer geeks... hmmm... so maybe I'm a nerd after all. :?

28 Feb 2015 22:04 #9213 by Domtopia
Replied by Domtopia on topic Crankshaft's Sketchbook
Oh, I see. Yeah, I think geek is more accurate then. I have no interest in computer things... just this digital art lark!

Everything's on the right!!!

It's like driving abroad!

01 Mar 2015 02:03 #9218 by microscopi
Replied by microscopi on topic Crankshaft's Sketchbook
What would a geeky nerd be ??

01 Mar 2015 02:53 #9220 by crankshaft
Replied by crankshaft on topic Crankshaft's Sketchbook
Since we're on the topic of nerds and geeks I need to confess something: I'm a car/Final Fantasy geek. Just thought that was relevant :P

01 Mar 2015 09:10 #9223 by Charlotte

I need to confess something: I'm a car/Final Fantasy geek.

:ohmy:

We'd never have guessed! ;)

02 Mar 2015 14:58 - 02 Mar 2015 14:58 #9267 by Digital Dave
I don't think either of them are actually looked upon as appealing to the general public, but then again, the general public is usually made up of a bunch a tools to begin with! :D ... I think the term 'Geek' is used more frequently when someone relates people to being computer savvy though. And 'Nerd' is used more for those who see someone as a person who would rather read, learn, etc. and not seen as outgoing and tends to be more of a loner and not very social.

I don't see these traits in any of you personally. :) But then again, artist themselves can be a bit kooky. :wink:

I get sketchy around pencils! ...=D

02 Mar 2015 15:13 #9269 by Charlotte
Well according to your description I'd be more of a nerd for sure. But the test said Geeks are the new cool! B)