May challenge - Alien excavation

Deadline for entry:

April challenge Voting open!

Crankshaft's Sketchbook

08 Mar 2015 22:57 - 09 Mar 2015 00:06 #9455 by crankshaft
Replied by crankshaft on topic Crankshaft's Sketchbook
Update on my factory! I'm calling this done. I've been recording how many hours I've spent on this and I'm scared to add them all up...However I've learned tons of things here that I would of never learned anyway else. Most of the refs came from my head but to show what they are I've included some internet/google refs of various mechanical objects.

Attachments:

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

09 Mar 2015 23:29 #9473 by Domtopia
Replied by Domtopia on topic Crankshaft's Sketchbook
Awesome Crank!! Just awesome!!!

Some atmosphere would just finish it off though. Try a bit of steam or smoke here and there.

Everything's on the right!!!

It's like driving abroad!

10 Mar 2015 22:54 #9513 by microscopi
Replied by microscopi on topic Crankshaft's Sketchbook
Great job Crank ! Looking pretty awesome. :woohoo:

11 Mar 2015 14:22 #9518 by Domtopia
Replied by Domtopia on topic Crankshaft's Sketchbook
Also, if you put a square behind the holographs, fill it with a pale blue and then blur it, you will get a much more convincing hologram look.

Everything's on the right!!!

It's like driving abroad!

14 Mar 2015 14:14 #9575 by crankshaft
Doing tons of perspective studies! I think these are very important for any artist regardless if you do technical stuff or natural stuff. These are a result of my curiosity and are a culmination of what I've learned so far. In other words, I'm combining what I've learned to learn more!

Here I learned how to properly converge a true square or circle in perspective from a front view. I also learned a circle will always tangent 2/3 on a diagonal from the center of the square.

What happens in perspective when you have concentric ellipses? Certain parts are thicker and thinner. The outer edges sharpen as they get away from the horizon line.

What happens when you have non parallel sides of a box in perspective? Using the top view to design the angles first then transfer their vps in perspective after.

How to rotate boxes in perspective using info from Scott Robertson and top view. This also shows the distance from each other.

What happens to the vp of ramp that's on a turned/rotated box? Use that box's vp to determine the proper convergence.

Same thing but with boxes that don't have parallel sides. Notice the amount of vps now.

14 Mar 2015 14:16 #9576 by crankshaft
@ Dom Thanks man! I couldn't of finished the pic without your help! I'll try what you said about the hologram for next time.
@ Micro Thanks man!

15 Mar 2015 14:47 #9603 by crankshaft
Here I learned that cylinders in 1 p or 2 p don't make a different in construction and that the degree and angle can still be accurate.

How to tilt objects. Vps must be maintained so that proportions can be maintained.

How to cast a shadow for ramps. Notice the chamfers.

How ellipses change in relation to the horizon line.

Tilting objects by using a vertical reference line.

Casting shadows for ramps. Notice tapered cast shadow.

How angle of light can change the outer edge of the cast shadow.

15 Mar 2015 14:50 #9604 by crankshaft
Placing different triangles in perspective. How to know whether they're scalene, isosceles or equilateral triangles.

Attachments:

21 Mar 2015 02:37 #9736 by crankshaft
Hey guys! Been heavily studying perspective. The more I learn the more I realized how little I know.

Combining 1 pt and 2 pt perspective in one and how line of sight changes objects in picture plane.

Proving that even tilted verticals don't converge in 2 pt perspective with line of sight still parallel to ground plane.

Using ellipses to tilt the same box and still maintain the same proportions but in perspective.

Plotting a curve in perspective using multiplying and intersections.

Learning how to tilt on the x axis as opposed to the Y axis. Then using ellipses to best guess the verticals.

How ellipses help maintain proportions when tilting a box in perspective.

Casting shadows on tilted boxes and how the gap from the ground affects the shadow.

Same thing but with bigger gap and the tilt is on the x axis.

21 Mar 2015 02:41 #9737 by crankshaft
Casting shadows for tilted triangles and how the gap affects the shadow.

Attachments: