May challenge - Alien excavation

Deadline for entry:

April challenge Voting open!

Crankshaft's Sketchbook

08 Feb 2015 04:31 #8815 by crankshaft
Replied by crankshaft on topic Crankshaft's Sketchbook
Hey guys! Got an update on my factory! I think I nailed the mood! I'm in the process of sharpening the values/form because things were very soft and blurry. First one was quickly done to get mood and atmosphere while the second is me sharpening/cleaning up. As always I'm open to critique!

Attachments:

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

08 Feb 2015 10:48 - 08 Feb 2015 10:50 #8816 by Charlotte
Replied by Charlotte on topic Crankshaft's Sketchbook
Progressing nicely into colour there! I do get the feeling that the lighter vertical "beams" currently are leaning a bit and I assume they're meant to be straight, but that's probably sort itself when you work on the edges.

EDIT: Unless they're actually meant to be light beams... it's a bit hard to see just yet, but there doesn't seem to be any corresponding shapes. If it is light I'd suggest making them a bit wider towards the bottom. But I'm sure you're on it :)

Any an all misspellings are henceforth blamed on the cats.

08 Feb 2015 16:02 #8826 by crankshaft
@Charlotte Thanks for critique! Yea they're supposed to be dim light beams shining down on the pipes. I guess they're not clear. I'll add more light on the pipes themselves to make it obvious.

More updates! Some basic rendering of pipes and understanding of values.

Attachments:

14 Feb 2015 14:42 #8926 by crankshaft
Hey guys! More studies! I couldn't figure out how to render the pipes/cylinders in my factory so I did some studies on them.

Attachments:

15 Feb 2015 00:02 #8933 by Valence
Replied by Valence on topic Crankshaft's Sketchbook
I'm liking the factory progress. It really does have atmosphere and those shafts of light make the air seem thick and heavy. I can almost imagine motes of dust and pollution drifting around. The image is very dark on my screens but I understand it is at an early stage and that more form will gradually emerge. Keep at it!

15 Feb 2015 09:54 #8935 by Digital Dave
Agree about the factory. Really like the color scheme.

I get sketchy around pencils! ...=D

15 Feb 2015 14:38 #8937 by crankshaft
@Valence Thanks! I'm glad I nailed down the atmosphere! That was one of the harder parts.
@ Dave Thanks! I was worried the color scheme might seem off.

More updates! Rendering spheres! Factory update coming soon!

Attachments:

17 Feb 2015 03:06 - 17 Feb 2015 03:11 #8950 by crankshaft
Hey guys! Update on my factory. The first one is without lines and the before pic while the second is the after wip/update. C and C are welcome! Some things I've noticed/will work on: I liked the blurriness in the previous picture and since this is a dark scene there should be more lost edges which I'll go back and put. There should also be a cast shadow coming from the giant door lock from the door itself to the floor underneath. There should be cast shadows under the giant pipes.

Thanks guys!
Attachments:

18 Feb 2015 17:41 #8974 by microscopi
Replied by microscopi on topic Crankshaft's Sketchbook
Hey Crankshaft, factory setting looks amazing, really like the atmosphere and setting:woohoo: I hope you don't mind just couldn't resist doing a quick paintover to show what I think would be cool for lighting, I really like what you have here, just used the dodge brush to give you a quick idea.

Attachments:

18 Feb 2015 19:11 - 18 Feb 2015 19:13 #8979 by Domtopia
Replied by Domtopia on topic Crankshaft's Sketchbook
No way! I did a paintover too!

I think this is a great environment, but I thought it might benefit from some sharper edges, so I gave it a go. I have changed the design a bit, but that's because i wasn't planning on showing to anyone... but since Mic put his paintover up, I thought you might get some ideas from my paintover too. Hope it helps!

Everything's on the right!!!

It's like driving abroad!
Attachments: