April challenge - Banana for scale!

Deadline for entry:

March challenge Winner announced!

Crankshaft's Sketchbook

31 Jan 2015 18:17 - 31 Jan 2015 18:19 #8610 by crankshaft
Replied by crankshaft on topic Crankshaft's Sketchbook
Hey guys! Got some more studies! Been working hard on the factory lately. Will post an update and more studies real soon! This is a one point perceptive study where I learned that front facing diagonals stay parallel to each other.

Attachments:

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

31 Jan 2015 19:28 #8613 by Domtopia
Replied by Domtopia on topic Crankshaft's Sketchbook
Do you have any drawings from life?

Theory is important, but not to be neglected is the application of that theory to an actual object.

Everything's on the right!!!

It's like driving abroad!

01 Feb 2015 16:29 #8639 by crankshaft
Hey Dom! I have some car drawings, that glasses case and the flashlight that are from life. I'm definitely planning on doing more life drawings in the future. :P Yeah I know my SB is rather boring with just studies but I'm having tons of fun with them and I'm definitely applying the theory to my designs.

More updates! Learned lots about rendering here! I'm pretty happy with the end result. I'll post an update of the factory real soon!

Attachments:

01 Feb 2015 19:30 #8646 by Digital Dave
Personally (and this is just my opinion) though drawing certain items can be quite useful, and help train yourself. (especially in areas you might struggle with) But I think the act of just sketching itself gives you your biggest gain. The more you do it, the more natural it feels. ... I know for me when I step away for a while, it takes me a little time to get back into it & sometimes it's quite a while before I get that natural feel back. ... Like someone who hand writes a lot. Unless they are trying to scribble these words, such as like doctors do, they will almost always have very legible, if not elegant writing.

I get sketchy around pencils! ...=D

01 Feb 2015 23:37 #8650 by crankshaft
@Dave Thanks for the kind words. I'm not sure I understand what you're getting at but my favorite part of drawing is actually the design phase which is almost the same as sketching. At the other end I also like the polishing stage, adding details and finishing touches.

Update on my factory! Basic rendering, getting the mood and lighting down. I'm very happy with it! First one is with lines and second is just values. It's going be a dark ominous environment so there's going to be a lot of soft lost edges and the value range may be skewed.

Attachments:

02 Feb 2015 03:06 #8651 by Digital Dave
Very nice start. Looking cool.

All I was saying above is that sometimes it doesn't matter what your drawing, or the subject, as long as your drawing something. Just having a pencil, pen, etc in hand, just keeps you in the game so to speak.

I get sketchy around pencils! ...=D

02 Feb 2015 11:11 #8663 by Domtopia
Replied by Domtopia on topic Crankshaft's Sketchbook
Are these drawing back to front Crank? It looks like the top one is more finished than the bottom one!

Great atmosphere so far. I think that hazy effect of heat and stem rising that the piece already has, looks very interesting and adds mood to the image. Keep it up!

Everything's on the right!!!

It's like driving abroad!

02 Feb 2015 23:22 #8683 by Kodabble
Replied by Kodabble on topic Crankshaft's Sketchbook
The factory is looking great. You could do a similar one like this for the (February) Steampunk Challenge.

07 Feb 2015 02:15 #8805 by crankshaft
@Dom The first one is with the line work while the second is just values. Thanks about the atmosphere! I tried very hard to capture that feeling from my head. Looks like I nailed it!

@Kodabble Thanks! I'm too slow to enter any contest yet :P

I'll be posting a color update very soon! As always, I'm open to any critique you guys have! Thanks!

07 Feb 2015 02:25 #8806 by crankshaft
Some updates! Most of my time is being spent learning on the factory so there's less separate studies.
Attachments: