April challenge - Banana for scale!

Deadline for entry:

March challenge Winner announced!

Crankshaft's Sketchbook

15 Dec 2014 08:18 - 15 Dec 2014 08:20 #7690 by Charlotte
Replied by Charlotte on topic Crankshaft's Sketchbook
I Think you'll find the two colour factory images are the references Crank mentioned at the top of the post. :)

EDIT: Come to Think of it, since text can easily be added in between images, I suggest anyone posting reference images that are not their own copyright take the opportunity to add a caption or subtitle or something to explain where the image is from and that it's a reference. It would help avoid confusion :)

Any an all misspellings are henceforth blamed on the cats.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

16 Dec 2014 23:15 #7726 by microscopi
Replied by microscopi on topic Crankshaft's Sketchbook
O.O woops well I liked the sketches and flashlight way better anyway :silly:

20 Dec 2014 03:14 - 20 Dec 2014 03:16 #7806 by crankshaft
Replied by crankshaft on topic Crankshaft's Sketchbook
Merry Christmas everyone! Happy New Year as well! Some updates from Scott Robertson's books. I'm currently working on the factory right now and I'll post a wip soon. :cheer:

@Charlotte That's a good idea about the references. The pictures are from Final Fantasy 7 the Mako reactor and the other is a door from Fallout 3.

Attachments:

21 Dec 2014 20:37 #7819 by crankshaft
More updates!

Attachments:

27 Dec 2014 17:33 - 24 Jan 2015 22:44 #7860 by crankshaft
Hey guys! Hope you're all having good holidays! Some studies that I had to when doing the factory door. I couldn't understand the spacing of objects and whether there would be interferences. Eg If you have a pipe descending downwards what angle would the pipe have to be to not touch other objects behind it. So here are some studies regarding that problem.

Attachments:

27 Dec 2014 19:05 #7862 by cgmythology
Replied by cgmythology on topic Crankshaft's Sketchbook
Your perspective studies look really good and on point. Your values in general are also very strong with your pencils and digital paintings. I think you can benefit more from gesture studies for your figure work as they look a bit stiff at the moment, have you ever studies Vilpu? He has a great technique for that which I think could benefit you. Keep up the good work!

28 Dec 2014 17:39 #7872 by crankshaft

Your perspective studies look really good and on point. Your values in general are also very strong with your pencils and digital paintings. I think you can benefit more from gesture studies for your figure work as they look a bit stiff at the moment, have you ever studies Vilpu? He has a great technique for that which I think could benefit you. Keep up the good work!

Thanks Cgaddict! I will look up Vilpu. In terms of anatomy I'm simply going thru Andrew's books and attempting to draw through, as in seeing the form.

Some updates!

Attachments:

31 Dec 2014 12:56 #7917 by cgmythology
Replied by cgmythology on topic Crankshaft's Sketchbook
Nice update, the perspective studies are looking good and on point, nice to see that you're applying what you learned to figure drawing. Keep it up!

01 Jan 2015 19:30 #7921 by crankshaft
Hey guys! Got some updates on my factory door. I've also included some reference pictures I've taken myself from before. I love engineering :P. 90% of the lines done in the final stage were done freehand. I want this painting to be all me and I redid each line about 10 times until I felt that the line was clean enough.

Quick rough stage getting major forms and design ideas.

Slight clean up and checking perspective.

Very heavy perspective check up making sure there are no interferences and the structures can physically exist.

Bare bones detail and lots of clean up.

My own references.

References off the internet of an old fashioned electrical dynamo and a door from Fallout 3.

01 Jan 2015 19:34 #7922 by crankshaft
The original paper drawing.

@Cgaddict Thanks! Your anatomy skills are great! Wish I could draw people. If only people were made out of metal... :)
Attachments: