April challenge - Banana for scale!

Deadline for entry:

March challenge Winner announced!

Crankshaft's Sketchbook

25 Oct 2014 17:51 #6842 by crankshaft
Replied by crankshaft on topic Crankshaft's Sketchbook

More perspective studies. I'm learning lots from Andrew Loomis. My gesture poses have come from 5 min to roughly 3 min now. :)
Attachments:

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

25 Oct 2014 17:54 - 25 Oct 2014 17:54 #6843 by crankshaft

Self critique/notes:
I chose a simply boring object (my glasses case) because my goal here was to focus on understanding light and value and getting use to the tablet. I've tried to capture the reflections as accurately as I can but for some reason the piece looks "dead."I think it could the poor original setup/composition or distracting background. There are definitely measurement/angle errors. My next still life I will focus on having good initial composition and color. If there's anything else you guys see, please let me know!
Attachments:

25 Oct 2014 19:20 - 25 Oct 2014 19:23 #6847 by Valence
Replied by Valence on topic Crankshaft's Sketchbook
When I looked at your picture I thought it looked good but couldn't tell exactly what what it was, so I looked at the reference ... and I couldn't tell what THAT was either. :) But don't worry that's not a criticism.

The values, textures and shading are almost perfect.
I think there's a slight perspective error with the case, the right side seems to levitate a fraction. Although it's difficult to tell due to the lack of detail in the "ground" plane of the table. Because of this it's hard to connect the different objects to a common vanishing point and to visually construct the space that you're looking at.
Technically it' s a really excellent study, you just need to choose a subject that has a more obviously recognisable context.
The following user(s) said Thank You: crankshaft

26 Oct 2014 16:14 #6848 by crankshaft
Thank you for the feedback. You are right about the perspective and subject. My next piece i'll try something more clear, like a flashlight.

27 Oct 2014 21:50 #6869 by Digital Dave
Latest looks good, and nice studies as well.

I get sketchy around pencils! ...=D

01 Nov 2014 17:04 #6911 by crankshaft

Latest looks good, and nice studies as well.

Thanks! Next up, life studies in color. :)

01 Nov 2014 20:41 #6920 by crankshaft
Some perspective and anatomy studies. I'll currently doing some personal/imaginative work as well and I'll try and apply what I learned to them.

Attachments:

08 Nov 2014 15:04 #7027 by crankshaft
More perspective studies. I'd like to get my hands on Scott Robertson's books since he does a lot of what I like to draw as well. Do you have to order them online or can you buy them from a store?

Attachments:

11 Nov 2014 01:26 - 11 Nov 2014 01:27 #7058 by crankshaft
More studies. I still find ellipses hard to get into perspective (mainly things like the tilt, degree of rotation etc).

Attachment scan0011copy.jpg not found

Attachments:

11 Nov 2014 22:38 #7065 by crankshaft
Some very old artwork. My focus back then was more on design rather than following fundamentals. A lot of these pieces have isometric perspective, meaning nothing converges. However, they do a good job of portraying my love of technical detail and imagination.

The Star of Vista. A flying Titanic. Ideas came from the Prima Vista ship from ff9.

My version of the The Hilda Garde from FF9.