May challenge - Alien excavation

Deadline for entry:

April challenge Voting open!

Crankshaft's Sketchbook

23 Feb 2015 03:12 #9036 by crankshaft
Replied by crankshaft on topic Crankshaft's Sketchbook
Hey guys! Got an update on my factory! C and C are welcome! Last one and recent one.

Attachments:

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

23 Feb 2015 03:17 #9037 by crankshaft
Another thing I just noticed the image seems blurry when I upload them here. They look very clear on other sites. Is there a way to fix this? Thanks!

28 Feb 2015 15:54 #9183 by crankshaft
Hey guys! More studies. Casting shadows for complex forms and some anatomy. Also an update on my factory environment. Something just feel off with it, too much noise or detail in the centre? It's still a wip and I'll detail the outside soon.

Attachments:

28 Feb 2015 17:06 #9188 by Domtopia
Replied by Domtopia on topic Crankshaft's Sketchbook
Great!!

It's got depth, sharpness and clarity. Just needs a bit of atmosphere now. Fortunately you have a bunch of perfect features that will lend themselves to adding some.

If you take a look at my paintover you may notice that in the left hand shaft of light there is a slight haze? If you paint in something like that, then this will really pop! Give it a look and see what you think.

Everything's on the right!!!

It's like driving abroad!

28 Feb 2015 17:28 #9190 by crankshaft
Thanks Dom! Another question, how come my images are coming out blurry? I'm saving them as 1600 by 832 pixels at 100 ppi as a jpeg.

28 Feb 2015 17:56 - 28 Feb 2015 17:58 #9193 by Domtopia
Replied by Domtopia on topic Crankshaft's Sketchbook
It may be because the ppi is so low. Try upping that to 300.

I always paint with 300 ppi and have learned to draw big and then reduce when posting up. My current piece (which is in my WIP thread) is 3500 by 2480 pixels and has a resolution of 300 ppi. When I post it up I reduce the largest dimension to 800 pixels whilst constraining the proportions. That enables it to be seen reasonably well here on the site.

Everything's on the right!!!

It's like driving abroad!

28 Feb 2015 18:09 #9198 by Charlotte
Replied by Charlotte on topic Crankshaft's Sketchbook
If you upload them to the site at 1600 pixels they may be shrunk (or maybe they won't be accepted, I'm not sure) - there's a maximum size of 1024 pixels. Not sure how that maximum is enforced though. But if they're shrunk that may account for the bluriness if it only appears on the forum.

Any an all misspellings are henceforth blamed on the cats.

28 Feb 2015 18:11 #9199 by Banj
Replied by Banj on topic Crankshaft's Sketchbook

Thanks Dom! Another question, how come my images are coming out blurry? I'm saving them as 1600 by 832 pixels at 100 ppi as a jpeg.

Are you saving your original working copy at 1600x832, or the copy you are uploading here? If you mean the web copy then the size is fine, you can try running an unsharp mask filter over it to add some subtle sharpening but you need to be careful with the settings so as not to overdo it (I'm assuming Photoshop here).

28 Feb 2015 20:57 #9206 by crankshaft
Hey guys. Some studies on rendering. Cars are like the only thing I know how to draw :P This one is purely from imagination.

The original factory is 4598 w by 2390 h pixels at 200 ppi. It's saved then as 1600 by 832 at 100 ppi. Does 200 seem low for this piece? I'm not planning on printing it but will that cause problems later on?

Testing at 1024 at 200 ppi.

Attachments:

28 Feb 2015 20:59 #9207 by crankshaft
Ok the image looks much better now! @Banji, Charlotte, Dom thanks!