May challenge - Alien excavation

Deadline for entry:

April challenge Voting open!

CGAN April24 - Banana for scale - Final entries

01 Apr 2024 14:06 - 01 Apr 2024 14:06 #49796 by Banj
Banana for scale

Brief:
Banana for scale" (bananas not strictly necessary)
Basically showing something large or small by juxtaposing it with something we think we know the size of? Like.... Is Empire State Building small or is King Kong big? Kind of...

Deadline: Midnight on Tuesday the 30th of April. 

This thread is where you post your final entries, WIPs (works in progress) should be posted here: cgartnexus.com/index.php/forums/challeng...anana-for-scale-wips

Challenge rules and guidelines:
cgartnexus.com/index.php/forums/challenge-rules

Rules in brief:
- All challenge entries must be your own work.
- You should post at least two WIP images that are clearly different from your final entry and each other.
- Your final entry should contain your image (inserted so it shows up full size) and at least two links to your WIP posts on the forum.
- No chatter in the finals thread – if you have questions, post them in the WIP thread or PM an admin.
- Feedback is allowed & encouraged together with the voting and in the WIP thread.
- Deadline is given in UK time (midnight UTC) with a grace period of 5 minutes for getting the post sorted.
- Each member may cast one vote.
- No cheating! Admins may decide to disqualify an entry that does not adhere to the above rules.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

24 Apr 2024 22:07 - 26 Apr 2024 08:03 #50034 by Banj
Attachments:

28 Apr 2024 11:26 #50085 by Valence
Big Chess. :aha:

Some WIPs..
1: e4....  
....c5.  

Attachments:

01 May 2024 15:28 - 01 May 2024 15:50 #50104 by Banj
I believe it is now voting time, and as such people should cast their vote for one of the following:
  • Banj
  • Valence
Voting will close at the stroke of somewhere around midnight on the date known to many as the 8th of May. The very next day without fail, somebody will come along and count up the votes 

01 May 2024 19:33 #50109 by Valence
Well I think Banj's pic captures the theme and mood of the brief much better than mine. The banana takes centre stage and successfully shows us the scale of the little "mousies" and their actions. The image has a great storytelling quality to it, showing us the whole drama of the scene like a wonderful illustration in a children's book.
I love the texture and detail of that banana skin. I can almost feel the cool smoothness of that curve and the sparse, subtle brown mottling creates a styled realism that anchors the rest of the picture.
The only minor change I'd make is to add a bit more contrast to the shading on the two foreground faces to separate them from the similar values in the background cloud and foam.
Also I was impressed by, and envious of, the plausible perspective that successfully tied all the different elements and figures together, unlike that other picture which seems to have a multitude of different horizons and vanishing points. :lol:

So... BANJ! :aha: