May challenge - Alien excavation

Deadline for entry:

April challenge Voting open!

Crankshaft's Sketchbook

06 Apr 2015 12:45 #10015 by microscopi
Replied by microscopi on topic Crankshaft's Sketchbook
Admire your dedication Crank :cheer: Is that just one sketchbook with all the studies in it? Must be huge by now !

Was thinking the same thing, when you start on your next image, what you learned should apply to your drawings without much thought, which is a great place to be, I've been studying more shapes and lighting recently, neglected studies and sketches so it's hard for me to paint fine detail right now.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

11 Apr 2015 01:24 #10065 by crankshaft
Replied by crankshaft on topic Crankshaft's Sketchbook
Thanks Micro! I mix everything in my SBs from studies to sketches. I'm a technical perfectionist so I need to loosen up and just draw. I'm now on another SB! Regarding my next image I think the perspective studies are paying off since I can eye ball a lot of things and see if they're accurate or not.

Not many updates for now since I'm focusing on design and applying my theory/studies to my next image.

Here I learned dvps always indicate perfect squares for that plane/axis.

If you have a dvp thats not 45 degrees from the station point then it becomes a rectangle and not a true square in perspective.

Attachments:

12 Apr 2015 13:41 #10085 by crankshaft
Some design draw through with ellipses and boxes. Also how to know what the degree of an ellipse is in relation to the viewer.

How to convert 2 point perspective to 3 point and how to fix distortion by locating the center of vision.

Attachments:

13 Apr 2015 01:19 - 13 Apr 2015 01:20 #10095 by crankshaft
Top view study on cylinders/radii and how their circumferences affect adjoining edges. Also, understanding how to draw thru with overlapping/ hidden contact points as a result of the radii.

Same study but in 3d/perspective. With vertical cylinders they stay pretty much oval regardless of the surroundings.

Putting the study into practice while trying out some pens/line weight.

Attachments:

18 Apr 2015 03:06 #10212 by crankshaft
Yay more studies! Understanding different degrees of ellipses in relation to the true circle. This also helps with eyeballing ellipses better when free hand sketching, especially if you know where the viewer is standing.

Using receding lines to lay in coordinates for plotting ellipses. This is useful for doing tighter accurate drawings as well as quick sketching because it gives you more limits/guidelines how the ellipses should be drawn.

Attachments:

18 Apr 2015 22:28 #10222 by evilrobot
Replied by evilrobot on topic Crankshaft's Sketchbook
Love your drawings of machines and all your perspective practice.

19 Apr 2015 19:47 - 19 Apr 2015 19:48 #10234 by crankshaft
Thanks Evil robot!

Some quick design sketches. My goals here: Get use to pen, line weights, applying some theory and developing new work flows. I have two big drawing problems: Detail every space syndrome and get everything perfect syndrome. From now on I'll be doing design sketches in pen to force myself to loosen up and draw smarter and more efficiently. These pieces have so many problems but the focus is design not fundamentals.

Flying transport. The back cage is way off perspective wise but I learned that by leaving it out it produces a nice vignette effect, doubling as a sense of atmospheric perspective. Plus I messed it up in pen so correcting it would make an even bigger mess.

Attachments:

19 Apr 2015 20:25 #10236 by Valence
Replied by Valence on topic Crankshaft's Sketchbook
Like you said there may be some little errors (the bit that says Level1 sticks out to me) but it doesn't really matter because the progress is still excellent. Stick with the pen work, it may be a bit scary knowing you can't correct but the results are really bold and expressive. Really positive.
And I love all these details. It's great to see you put all that you've been learning into some pictures and designs. Well Done.
The following user(s) said Thank You: crankshaft

19 Apr 2015 21:42 #10237 by crankshaft
Thanks Valence! It means a lot to me! I really need to overcome my perfectionist mindset so those words are encouraging!

Wip sketch of new project. Many things are off. The final result is going to be a line drawing with a focus on design, line weights, linear perspective, ellipses and some rendering (not much since this would be a nightmare). Basically all the perspective studies I've been doing so far This is an electrical dynamo inside a large room with an overseeing control tower.

Attachments:

25 Apr 2015 01:42 - 25 Apr 2015 01:44 #10362 by crankshaft
More practice rotating objects using ellipses. Also, top views of rotated objects and their relationship to each other.

Intro/practice using the Brewer grid.

Using half diagonals to multiply volume instead of the full diagonal.

Understanding automatic foreshortening using the Brewer grid. When doing ramps you usually need to erect a vertical at a vp but not here since the grid gives you the coordinates instead.

Understanding what degree an ellipse should be in perspective. The station point does not change but the view can.

Some practice using ellipses to determine rotation via a grid.

Understanding how to get the right view point before even constructing the grid. Eg Do you want to be looking up or down at the subject? How the lines converge tells you where the horizon will be which in turn tells you the view point.