April challenge - Banana for scale!

Deadline for entry:

March challenge Winner announced!

CGMythology's Sketchbook (nudity)

21 Dec 2014 20:29 #7817 by crankshaft
Great studies! Even though you draw mainly organic stuff like anatomy, have you tried drawing rotated cubes in perspective? Or tilted rectangles? They're actually quite hard. Keep up the good work!
The following user(s) said Thank You: cgmythology

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

23 Dec 2014 20:39 #7828 by cgmythology
crankshaft: Thank you! I'll tackle rotating cubes again, really want to make sure I concentrate strickly on perspective with these studies....

Just wanted to wish everyone a Happy Holiday, here's a painting I just completed to celebrate Christmas, hope you enjoy:

File Attachment:

24 Dec 2014 19:28 - 24 Dec 2014 19:38 #7835 by Valence
The caricature came out great! I just want to fondle that warm fleshy ear!

And that's some great pencil work in the figures and faces.
Be careful with the profiles though, especially the position of the lips relative to the nose. I know there are quite a few Pre-Raphaelite paintings that that have that kind of shape to them (especially Rossetti) but it can make the face look rather flat and unflattering. Aside from that it's all excellent work.

Edit:
And that's a great tutorial too. Good to see people mentioning the bit about shifting the highlights to a more yellow hue. It took me ages to learn that and even after the epiphany I still forget from time to time.

27 Dec 2014 11:40 #7859 by cgmythology
Valence: Thank you! I wouldn't have thought of adding that effect if it weren't mentioned in the forum, so I'm very glad that I'm posting here! Good point about the profile as well, it's definitely a bit off so I'll do more studies in that regard. Glad you enjoy the tutorial as well, and yeah, the desaturated yellow is great for skin tones, gives them a very natural feel.

I finished up a commission, this one had a limited budget so I concentrated mostly on giving it a crisp and clean feel without any superfluous detail. Also continued to do more sketches and studies, this time dealing with a bit of everything:

File Attachment:

File Attachment:

File Attachment:

File Attachment:

File Attachment:

File Attachment:

File Attachment:

File Attachment:

File Attachment:

File Attachment:

File Attachment:

File Attachment:

File Attachment:

File Attachment:

File Attachment:

File Attachment:

File Attachment:

File Attachment:

and that's all for now, feedback welcome as always!

27 Dec 2014 17:44 #7861 by crankshaft
Great updates! Studies are looking good! As for the painting there a few things I noticed. Even though it's done I think the moon and the background buildings could use more atmospheric perspective or fade them into the night better. I also think the roof top that the girl is standing is rather flat and could use stronger shadows. Keep the good work!

30 Dec 2014 11:52 #7888 by Charlotte
I love the santa pic! I seem to have missed it while peeping er popping into the forum on my cellphone during christmas :)

and all the practice sketches are inspiring. I hope I'll have some time for sketching and painting now, before it's back to work after the holidays :)

Any an all misspellings are henceforth blamed on the cats.

03 Jan 2015 06:44 #7951 by Digital Dave
I also like your Santa! Though it would be nice to see some tongue and teeth to give the mouth some life. :)

I get sketchy around pencils! ...=D

15 Jan 2015 14:18 #8170 by cgmythology
crankshaft: Thanks, those are great suggestions but since the budget was limited, I didn't get to work in those details you mentioned, unfortunately.

Charlotte: Thank you! Santa's always a blast to paint :) Glad you enjoy the sketches as well, I wish I had more free time to practice more of them more often....

Digital Dave: Thank you! Great suggestions, I tried to keep the image fairly simple but I agree it would have looked more lively if I included those details.

I've been insanely busy as of late, mostly doing freelance work here and there... Had a lot of fun projects I've worked on, which I'll post here:

File Attachment:

File Attachment:

File Attachment:

File Attachment:

File Attachment:

The following images were painted for www.xymore.com/forum :

File Attachment:

File Attachment:

That's all for now, feedback encouraged as always.

16 Jan 2015 09:24 #8174 by Charlotte
Grumpy Cat! :woohoo:

Any an all misspellings are henceforth blamed on the cats.

16 Jan 2015 13:14 #8175 by Domtopia
The goat is ace!

Everything's on the right!!!

It's like driving abroad!