March challenge - Enter here!

Deadline for entry:

February challenge WINNER ANNOUNCED!

CGMythology's Sketchbook (nudity)

30 Aug 2014 14:59 - 30 Aug 2014 15:04 #5738 by Digital Dave
Looking quite nice, CG. The one thing that stands out to me is his hands. The way you have the shading, the digits appear to be a little short in length and disconnected from the main body of the hand. Not sure if I'm explaining that properly, but I simply extended your lighting/shading some on the fingers to extend them and to show a connection. I also added a tip onto his pinky, which I believe is supposed to be around the hand and not viewable, but I think if you could somehow show it some, it might help. It just appears his pinky tip is missing as is.

Hope this is somewhat helpful to ya. :)

NOTE: After posting the side-by-side, I also noticed that you may want to visit his palms. With fingers laced, the palms would pretty much line up, or at least be close. Right now, his left palm appears to be too low in relation to the right.

I get sketchy around pencils! ...=D
Attachments:
The following user(s) said Thank You: cgmythology

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

18 Oct 2014 06:40 - 18 Oct 2014 06:42 #6715 by cgmythology
Digital Dave: Thank you. I'm planning to revisit the image shortly and will keep your feedback in mind.

Been quite busy with some freelance work, just finished a bunch of caricatures for a client. The images are going to appear much smaller than the size I posted, so I didn't go too crazy with the details here, just wanted them to look nice and clean....

File Attachment:

File Attachment:

File Attachment:

File Attachment:

File Attachment:

File Attachment:

File Attachment:

File Attachment:

File Attachment:

File Attachment:

File Attachment:

File Attachment:

File Attachment:

File Attachment:

18 Oct 2014 19:01 #6717 by crankshaft
That picture of Jesus is amazing. The lighting looks spot on. Maybe blur the leaves in the background a tad more to put more emphasis on his face? I draw mainly machines so I'm not that good with anatomy.

21 Oct 2014 12:11 #6755 by cgmythology
crankshaft: Thank you. I did blur the leaves a bit since the last update, but I agree I can take it a step further, and I agree that'll help Jesus pop out from the background.

I decided to take a break a bit from drawing/painting human figures and I'd like to expand my work a bit to include more sci-fi and fantastical themes, so I began work on an alien piece. I'm having a blast painting this piece so far, and I plan on adding a ton of detail here. Any input as always is greatly appreciated:

Here is the initial linework:
File Attachment:

And this is the current progress, still very early:
File Attachment:

21 Oct 2014 15:51 #6758 by cgmythology
Worked on the image for several more hours, concentrating on form and lighting at this stage while avoiding the urge to do any serious detail work.... It's getting there!

File Attachment:

21 Oct 2014 17:50 #6761 by Charlotte
It's always cool seeing work progress :) I do think there are a few things you may want to give some attention though, on your alien portrait.

First and foremost his near side is shaped like a human face (pretty much) while his far side has a much more pronounced cheekbone. You could either add some visible cheek on the far side, or the near side needs a sharper edge and deeper shadow between cheekbone and jawbone.

A smaller issue is the nose. It seems to be painted somewhat more straight on than the rest of the face. (And a personal taste thing: I think the pink makes it look a little kitten-ish... Of course pink does make sense if the alien has red blood like us, but then maybe there should be some around the eyes as well. Which might be in the works, for all I know ;) )

Any an all misspellings are henceforth blamed on the cats.

21 Oct 2014 20:38 #6767 by cgmythology
Charlotte Ahlgren: Thanks, I altered the cheekbone/jawbone area to give it a more natural look, hopefully that did the trick. I readjusted the nose and altered it's shape quite a bit.... As for the redish tone on his tone, I kinda like it, breaks up the monotonous gray shades a bit....

Worked on the image for a few hours, here's the current progress:

File Attachment:

21 Oct 2014 21:43 #6772 by kazky
Looking good, I do agree with charlotte though, the pinkish nose doesn't make much sense to me as I would think there would be other pink areas but it's artistic license I guess.

The thing that stands out wrongly to me is the highlight on its eye, it makes the eyes look cross eyed and doesn't really read as a highlight. Love the blue & orange in the eyes though

23 Oct 2014 16:25 #6817 by cgmythology
kazky: Thanks, good point about the eye; I added that highlight to give it more of a 3D effect, but it does make him look more cross eyed like you stated. Will fix it by the next update.

Took a break from this piece to focus on something I'm working on, an action scene between a Space Marine and an Orc. I don't usually paint action scenes so this was a nice change of pace for me. Here's the linework plus the current progress stage:

File Attachment:

File Attachment:

23 Oct 2014 22:11 #6821 by Domtopia
Looking forward to seeing this progress a little bit more.

It's not looking good for the ork is it!?

y only criticism is that the pose is a bit static for an action scene. There's no tension between the characters and the forced perspective on the bolt pistol is more of a barrier to the mid-ground than a link from front to back ground, I think.

Maybe if we could see more of the ork, perhaps having him/it reacting in some way then that might add more tension and interest. If the marine were off balance or even standing tall and stoic, about to perform a cold and emotionless execution, then that might sell the image a bit more too.

Some thoughts before it goes too far to make changes to.

Everything's on the right!!!

It's like driving abroad!