April challenge - Banana for scale!

Deadline for entry:

March challenge Winner announced!

CGMythology's Sketchbook (nudity)

17 Jan 2015 02:09 #8180 by crankshaft
That knight is so cool! Loving the gold trim on his helmet!

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

18 Jan 2015 17:12 - 18 Jan 2015 17:12 #8202 by cgmythology
Charlotte: LOL, indeed :D

Domtopia: Thank you!

crankshaft: Thanks, much appreciated :)

I recently had a chance to work on an exciting project, a book cover illustration featuring a dragon. I haven't painted a dragon in what seems like ages, so this was a blast to work on. I spent quite a bit of time on the details to really bring this image to life, with lots of texture work and a ton of custom brushes. The rocky area was painted with custom brushes, some photo textures, and hand painted textures... Overall I'm quite pleased with the image.

File Attachment:

Here is a WIP of how this image was painted:

File Attachment:

...... and that'll be all. Feedback appreciated as always :)

18 Jan 2015 17:22 #8203 by crankshaft
Great dragon! I think the right back foot should be pointed forward more as it seems off. Also I'm confused with the front legs/arms. Is there another arm behind that one? The color seems too uniform throughout his body, maybe try varying the saturation/ value more? The rocks look awesome through!
The following user(s) said Thank You: cgmythology

21 Jan 2015 14:52 #8247 by cgmythology
crankshaft: Thank you; There is an arm behind it, although it's hard to see. Great point regarding the colors, I would have loved to have had more color variations, but the client was specified she wanted the whole thing blue.

I started work on an exciting project involving Greek Mythology and began sketching the first image. It took me hours to complete the linework, I wanted to perfect it as much as possible before beginning the painting process. Here is the final sketch:

File Attachment:

21 Jan 2015 17:01 #8252 by cgmythology
Current progress, very pleased with the lighting so far... worked mostly on Poseidon.... Still a long way to go but it's getting there!

File Attachment:

21 Jan 2015 19:44 #8256 by cgmythology
Latest update:

File Attachment:

21 Jan 2015 21:02 #8259 by Valence
That reflected rim light makes the face look fantastic and gives a real sense of the space that the figure exists in.

I'm not quite sure about the deltoid muscle on the front arm. Without getting out my anatomy book I can't say exactly how or even if it's wrong. I'm just "not sure" about it, maybe it's just the viewing angle, I don't know. It kind of looks like a double bicep.

Everything else looks just grand though.

21 Jan 2015 22:31 #8260 by kazky
I love your colouring George, it's so bold and rich, perfect choices. I do think the anatomy has a few issues though, and I don't know any muscle names so i'll just try and indicate what i mean :D and I hope you don't mind me saying these things.
The front of the upper chest looks too high to me, and sort of on the wrong angle for what we should see.

Both his arms look out of proportion and quite short, even taking into account any foreshortening. Also that bulbous muscle looks wrong in comparison to the rest of the forearm.

21 Jan 2015 23:07 #8261 by Valence
That's a good spot with the chest, Kaz. I didn't notice that in the darks (the perils of Power Saving Mode on my tablet!) The pecs should end a bit lower so the top crease disappearing under the beard is unnecessary.

21 Jan 2015 23:29 #8262 by cgmythology
Thanks everyone for their feedback, will work on the issues mentioned tomorrow morning... Gonna catch some much needed sleep!

File Attachment: