April challenge - Banana for scale!

Deadline for entry:

March challenge Winner announced!

CGMythology's Sketchbook (nudity)

27 Oct 2014 21:53 #6871 by Digital Dave
Looking good, CG. None of the images on this page have been showing up for me from work, at least none last week. But I think it has something to do with the OS I've been using there. But at least I can see them now here from home. :) Look forward to the updates.

I get sketchy around pencils! ...=D
The following user(s) said Thank You: cgmythology

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

28 Oct 2014 14:35 #6880 by cgmythology
Domtopia: Thanks, I decided to drop the image in favor of something a bit more dynamic and graphic.

Digital Dave: Thank you :)

I found out I was using the wrong dimensions for the Space Marine vs Orc image, so I dropped it and started on something new with a different composition. Below is the sketch and current progress:

File Attachment:

File Attachment:

28 Oct 2014 16:03 #6881 by Domtopia
Glad to see you trying out some new ideas CG.

There are a couple of issues that I see with this though.

Is this going to be a games workshop space marine? If it is, then I would recommend that you beef him up a bit. The armour looks very figure hugging, which would be great for a female character, but not so great for a space marine!

The ork is really skinny too and is very similar to a normal human in anatomy. I think he could do with being much bulkier too.

The ork's right foot overlaps the space marine making the depth read really strangely. It means the marine is standing inside the ork's 'personal space' more like he is going in for a hug!

Normal orks are just a bit larger than humans, but get much bigger as they become more prominant. Warbosses tower even space marines, so maybe by making this ork a warboss you could make him pretty massive and have the space marine flying through he air and taking his chop. That would create a lot of tension between the characters and add much more dynamism.

I think that if the ork was the background character and the marine was in the foreground, then you would be able to sell them both in the image much better.

Just some ideas.

Everything's on the right!!!

It's like driving abroad!

28 Oct 2014 18:39 #6883 by cgmythology
Domtopia: Thanks, I'm trying to explore deeper Fantasy and Sci-Fi themes with my new work, I have to say it's a lot of fun! Regarding the image, it is indeed for Games Workshop; I can't change the figures too much at this point as I have spent quite some time on the linework so it's pretty much final.... I did adjust the orc's foot a bit, however, looks much more natural now....

File Attachment:

28 Oct 2014 21:44 #6886 by cgmythology
Another update before I catch some precious zzZZzzz's :P

File Attachment:

28 Oct 2014 22:33 - 28 Oct 2014 22:39 #6888 by Digital Dave
Looking good, but your marine seems to have a pretty stale/stiff stance at the moment, devoid of any action. If anything, he appears to be in a 'ready to swing stance/position', rather then a 'I just took off his head' pose. If the makes sense. ... His right foot also seems to be out of alignment with his leg, as if he's standing on the outer edge of it.\

Edit: I actually missed where you mentioned to Dom it might be too late to make any changes to the characters, but thought maybe the information might still be useful? :)

29 Oct 2014 17:44 #6889 by cgmythology
Digital Dave: Thanks, I need to practice more on action poses, will be doing a lot of sketches in that regard in the near future. With that said, it's a bit too late to make any noticeable changes to the image in that regard, although I did add some 'moment' on the sword which helped a bit....

Been working on the image throughout the day, really exhausted to be honest but I'm quite satisfied with the image.
File Attachment:

31 Oct 2014 17:58 #6901 by cgmythology
I think I'll wrap this image up now, worked on it long enough. Thanks everyone for taking the time to help me out, very much appreciate it..... Next update will be on the space alien!

File Attachment:

21 Nov 2014 10:13 #7284 by cgmythology
I had a very productive week, did a ton of environment and perspective studies.

File Attachment:

File Attachment:

File Attachment:

File Attachment:

File Attachment:

File Attachment:

File Attachment:

File Attachment:

File Attachment:

File Attachment:

File Attachment:

File Attachment:

File Attachment:

File Attachment:

File Attachment:

File Attachment:

File Attachment:

File Attachment:

File Attachment:

File Attachment:

File Attachment:

File Attachment:

File Attachment:

File Attachment:

File Attachment:

File Attachment:

File Attachment:

File Attachment:

And that'll be all, I'll have another update soon with the 'Alien' painting, it's almost finished.

21 Nov 2014 13:00 #7287 by Digital Dave
Nice sketches/studies. You definitely been busy.

Side note, did you ever do that skin tut you and Kaz were speaking about a while back? Just wondering, since I don't recall seeing it posted. :)