April challenge - Banana for scale!

Deadline for entry:

March challenge Winner announced!

CGMythology's Sketchbook (nudity)

22 Nov 2014 16:53 #7308 by crankshaft
Excellent studies! It looks like you've been using Norling books for perspective drawing. I also recommend reading Successful Drawing by Loomis. Or you could simply look at my studies since I did a lot of them from his book. He takes perspective further. Here's an example of what I mean.
Attachments:

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

23 Nov 2014 13:49 #7313 by cgmythology
Digital Dave: Thank you! I began work on the tutorial, took me a while to decide which illustration to base it on... It'll try to post it as soon as it's complete!

crankshaft: Thanks! I'm planning on tackling Loomis again, I always gain a ton studying his work, thanks for the recommendation!

I continued with my perspective studies, really paying off... I have a much greater 'feel' of perspective now, and there also quite a lot of fun to illustrate!

File Attachment:

File Attachment:

File Attachment:

File Attachment:

File Attachment:

File Attachment:

File Attachment:

File Attachment:

File Attachment:

File Attachment:

File Attachment:

File Attachment:

File Attachment:

File Attachment:

File Attachment:

08 Dec 2014 15:45 #7584 by cgmythology
Found the time to finish up the 'Alien' piece, thanks everyone for their input!

File Attachment:

11 Dec 2014 13:53 #7644 by cgmythology
I began work on a caricature for my cousin, will try to have it complete before Christmas. Below is the sketch followed by the current WIP:

File Attachment:

File Attachment:

Feedback is always welcome!

13 Dec 2014 14:35 #7674 by cgmythology
Current update, it's getting there:

File Attachment:

13 Dec 2014 16:24 #7675 by Valence
These are excellent. You have a lovely clean style with good detailing and design. I like how you maintain the balanced form of the face while still pushing exaggeration (something I struggle with.) At this stage the shadowed area still looks a little flat. Some smoother, warmer shading at the transition edge or a cooler bit of reflected light will help maintain or suggest the form through the darker regions.
I'm also tempted to suggest some subsurface light coming through the ear but it's a difficult technique and I think I'd chicken out and leave it. I'm never brave enough to do that kind of thing but when an artist pulls it off there's nothing that looks better.

Also I'd like to mention the alien pic (I thought I'd commented on this before but I must have imagined it so here it is later than intended.) There was a bit of a debate about the redness of the nose and at the time I didn't understand the issue. But that was on my tablet; when I viewed it on my PC monitor it did look too red. It's a great example of how some colours close to the gamut limit can look very different on different devices. The moral of this story is that it's good to view your pictures on as many different displays as possible.
None of this matters now because you fixed it very well, but I thought it was worth mentioning.

19 Dec 2014 19:38 #7802 by cgmythology
Valence: Thank you! I liked your idea of the subsurface light coming from the ear so I incorporated it, very glad you recommended it as I think it gives the image a lot more life! As for the alien, it was mostly desaturated so any hint of color would really stand out more than normal, so I toned it down a bit.

Just wanted to say that I finished writing up the skin tone tutorial which I'll publish on this forum, I had a blast writing it up and I'll format it shortly, should be online up and running by sometime tomorrow..

Been very productive lately, I finished up the caricature for my cousin, he was very happy with how it turned out so I'm very pleased!

File Attachment:

Also revisited the Artemis piece, I wasn't really feeling the magenta colors for the background so I altered it a bit for a more natural tone... Also gave her wilder hair which I feel suits her nicely.

File Attachment:

And finally, I began work on a Cyclops:
File Attachment:

and that's all for now!

19 Dec 2014 20:19 #7804 by cgmythology
Just wanted to say I finished formatting and uploading the skin tutorial on the forum, you can check it out here:

cgartnexus.com/index.php/forums/tutorial...l-skin-tone-tutorial

I hope you find it useful, had an absolute blast writing up the tutorial, and it's great to give back to this forum as I've been getting a ton of constructive critiques which helped my paintings improve signifcantly, so I was more than happy to contribute to this forum. Hope you enjoy!

20 Dec 2014 03:23 #7807 by crankshaft
These look awesome cgaddict! Really nice of you as well to do a tutorial for the site!

21 Dec 2014 15:38 #7816 by cgmythology
crankshaft: Thank you, and no problemo, had a blast writing up the tutorial!

Been working on perspective studies, also some figures in which I applied what I learned:

File Attachment:

File Attachment:

File Attachment:

File Attachment:

File Attachment:

File Attachment:

File Attachment:

File Attachment:

File Attachment:

File Attachment:

and that'll be all for now!