April challenge - Banana for scale!

Deadline for entry:

March challenge Winner announced!

CGMythology's Sketchbook (nudity)

22 Jan 2015 00:16 #8263 by Valence
Just been playing around with Pose Tool and your anatomy isn't too far out (taking into account bulging God-like muscles!) Just a few tweaks and extra shading should do the trick. Note how the deltoid comes down to a point over the top of the bicep.

Attachments:
The following user(s) said Thank You: cgmythology

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

22 Jan 2015 00:40 - 22 Jan 2015 00:41 #8264 by Digital Dave
Agree with the anatomy issues mentioned, but also check the trident. It doesn't appear to be straight. Try running a line from end to end to see what it tells ya. ... Like was also mentioned, your color palettes are always nice and bright/colorful.

I get sketchy around pencils! ...=D

22 Jan 2015 12:30 #8280 by cgmythology
Valence: Thanks for taking the time to do that, very helpful!

Digital Dave: Thanks, I'll tweak the anatomy a bit further as the image progresses.

Latest update:

File Attachment:

22 Jan 2015 16:51 #8299 by Kodabble
Cgaddict: Really like the way this image is developing. Not really good at anatomy myself but I imagine a a big muscled god would have huge arms so not much of a comment on that, What I did notice is that the trident seems to be disjointed on each side of the hands and the curvature of the bands at the end of the handle. Did a little playing with this and shown below. One other thing check the focus of the eyes, is he supposed to be looking at the ship? Hope this helps. Looking forward to final piece.
Attachments:

22 Jan 2015 20:00 #8307 by cgmythology
Kodabble: Thanks for that, tweaked the image a bit based on your input.

I pretty much finished the Poseidon image, although I might tweak it later on. Very pleased with how it turned out.

File Attachment:

24 Jan 2015 16:44 #8351 by cgmythology
I just wanted to share an image I began a few months ago for a friend, it's pretty much finished but I'd thought I'd post it here to get some input. Please let me know any feedback as I want this image to be as highest quality as possible!

File Attachment:

24 Jan 2015 18:47 #8354 by Charlotte
Since you want it to be the very best it can be, I'll be completely honest and list quite a few issues because I feel this image could be a lot better and I know you can paint better as well.

Regarding the man, I don't feel the pose is entirely natural but these comments are mostly down to taste perhaps. I would have given him a slightly bent raised arm, not a stiff and perfectly straight one. I'd also add more detail to his armour since he currently is bulky as if wearing armour but the armour looks rather like a wetsuit or X-men suit or something else with a tight fit. The main issue with the guy, though, is his hands which don't seem to be holding his spear at all - but perhaps this is one of the things you've yet to finish.

Regarding the horse, you seem to have only cared for it's head or else it's legs and hooves are not finished. The closest front leg is misplaced on the horse's body, both front legs look like they're rubbery and bend without joints and the further one is too slim. The back leg.... doesn't even look like a leg. (Sorry!)

The dragon... does remind me of some medieval depictions of St George's dragon, but those medieval depictions are rather wierd looking. Obviously you could be aiming for wierd, but in my mind I can't quite understand why the dragon has one wing and one giant foot and a couple of horns or claws in it's rump? Personally I'd like to see it look like a "realistic" monster.

That all said, I love the cape with it's stiff and directional shape and the colour and lighting is very striking.

Any an all misspellings are henceforth blamed on the cats.

24 Jan 2015 19:32 #8356 by cgmythology
Charlotte: That's the type of feedback I needed! Thank you for that, I'll address those issues when I work on the image again.

I started on another image, a portrait of an elf. Portraits are always a lot of fun for me to paint, and I need a bit of a break to paint something that I enjoy. Below is the sketch.

File Attachment:

24 Jan 2015 20:36 - 24 Jan 2015 20:37 #8357 by Valence
Regarding the previous image, it's a very ambitious and complex composition. It has a great silhouette that is very understandable as a thumbnail. But as Charlotte said, on closer inspection the horse anatomy does seem vague and undefined, especially the legs. Horse legs are usually very angular at their joints rather than the smooth bendy curves that you have here. Also with these kinds of complex poses it's a good idea to draw the entire figure (or in this case "horse") even though most of it may end up being covered up by foreground elements.
I had a go at a paintover (forgive me) to try and explain but I ended up struggling with the back leg too!

I think the best teacher around for this kind of animal anatomy is Marshall Vandruff, check out some of his work. I think I might have to as well. :)
Attachments:

24 Jan 2015 21:39 #8358 by Digital Dave
Nice start on the new one. But also agree with Charlotte & Valence on the rider pic. Valence's horse paint-over addresses a lot for the horse and gives it a nice solid form. ... To add, you might want to check the riders posture too. (which Charlotte also touched on) But his present positioning does not give the impression he's about to deliver a blow, but rather maybe climb up the weapon, as if it's a pole. ... I think this is mostly due to the arm positioning that is causing this. Maybe have the left hand/arm lower on the staff (for guiding the thrust) and the right arm bent more like Charlotte mentioned to give it the appearance he's about to drive it home.

As for the dragon, I'm not familiar with the type that Charlotte mentioned, if this is what you are going for. But as is, I find it hard to read as is. And I believe the what Charlotte refers to as a 'giant foot' is actually supposed to be the other wing closest to the viewer, but with foreshortening. (But I don't think it's coming across as thus) Also, the spikes placement on the neck is also confusing.

I get sketchy around pencils! ...=D