April challenge - Banana for scale!

Deadline for entry:

March challenge Winner announced!

CGMythology's Sketchbook (nudity)

01 Aug 2022 12:04 #41586 by cgmythology
Charlotte:  Thank you!  Excellent input as well, I made some final changes to the prince/dragon image, hopefully it's better now!  Thanks for your suggestions on the glow as well, incorporated it a bit!

Valence:  That's intentional, I didn't want to over detail them as I wanted them to look unique.  Glad you like it otherwise, however!

I updated the Prince/Dragon image, added a drop shadow and broke up the straight lines on the floor.  Hopefully it's OK now!  Also began the painting process for the new portrait, it's come quite a long way!  I'm pretty pleased with the colors I've achieved here at this stage as well.  Any feedback is welcome!

Attachments:

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

01 Aug 2022 12:12 #41587 by Charlotte
I wish I could work as fast as you :D

Any an all misspellings are henceforth blamed on the cats.
The following user(s) said Thank You: cgmythology

03 Aug 2022 08:56 #41613 by cgmythology
Charlotte:  Haha, I do indeed work fairly fast.  I'm used to working at a fast pace when painting, but I try to take it very slow during the sketching process....................I finished up the self portrait!  Lots of fun with this one.  I was going for a bit of a traditional look with this one, hopefully I was able to convey that here.  Below is the final image followed by the steps for those interested.  Of course any final feedback is welcome!

Attachments:

04 Aug 2022 11:34 #41616 by Valence
Love the light in the eyes. It makes the gaze so striking and powerful.

I think the collar bone on the left looks a little flat. Just a little touch of highlight could add a bit of life to the shading there.

06 Aug 2022 06:16 #41638 by cgmythology
Valence:  Thank you!  I spent a lot of time on the eyes so I'm glad to hear that!  Great point regarding the color bone, it's a minor detail but I'll see if I can make time to update it.  For now I'm moving on to a new illustration!

Time for a new illustration!  Wanted to toy with a both a sci-fi and post apocalyptic theme, so I drew in a futuristic solider with some rubble.  I want the environment to be very destructive and animated compared to the calmness of the figure, but this will be more obvious during the painting process.  I had a reference for the pose, while incorporating my own character design for the costume.  Below is the sketch, any feedback before I begin some color tests would be most appreciated!

Attachments:

06 Aug 2022 11:30 #41639 by Valence
Looks good so far. The only thing to keep an eye on as you develop is all those ellipses on the left side. At the moment they don't quite line up and are a little bit "pointy" at the extreme edges. When doing lots of aligned shapes like this I like to create one base shape and copy/resize it to use that as a guide for the others.

06 Aug 2022 18:11 - 06 Aug 2022 18:11 #41643 by cgmythology
Valence:  Thank you!  Excellent point regarding the ovals, I'll make sure to make a mental note of that as I progress on the image!

I did some color tests for the image.  I'm torn between A and B as I think those two work the best IMO, figures pops out the most there.  Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated!

Attachments:

08 Aug 2022 18:23 #41662 by cgmythology
I resumed the painting process and decided to combine both color palettes of A and B as I feel those two worked best.  The image has already come quite a long way, and I'm particularly pleased with the colors... Very natural looking while avoiding oversaturation so I'm very happy in that regard!  Any input would be appreciated as always! 
Attachments:

14 Aug 2022 07:46 #41685 by cgmythology
I resumed work on the image and it's come a long way, pretty much done at this point!  I'm calling it done for now unless there' something major that's not working, so any input would be appreciated as always!

Attachments:

14 Aug 2022 14:35 #41687 by Valence
Looks nice. The only thing I'd consider adding is maybe some contact shadows on the rocky ground. The flat values there make it look like the feet are dangling above the rocks, especially the one on the right.
Also only one of the "lights" on the shoulders seem to be glowing.
But I like the strong silhouette across the top of the figure and the distant clouds of smoke have an impressive depth to them. :thumbup: