March challenge - Enter here!

Deadline for entry:

February challenge WINNER ANNOUNCED!

CGMythology's Sketchbook (nudity)

16 Oct 2022 08:19 #42492 by cgmythology
I finished the 'Jedi Knight' illustration, much faster than expected.  I think it's probably because I stayed true to the original color scheme of the first stages so things were just easier and faster to tackle, so I'll make sure to try and repeat this for future images as that will save me quite some time.  Below is the final image, any feedback is most welcome!  Steps posted below as well for those interested!

Attachments:

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

16 Oct 2022 09:04 #42494 by Charlotte
Dang you're fast. I do think his left foot (to our right) would need some shadow beneath, to "ground it". But I can't see anything else to complain about :)

Any an all misspellings are henceforth blamed on the cats.
The following user(s) said Thank You: cgmythology

16 Oct 2022 11:43 #42495 by Valence
I agree with Charlotte about that foot. Even though the cast shadow in on the opposite side the sand would deform under his weight to create a darker area at the contact point. Also the arrangement of the ships looks a little contrived, especially the ones by the lightsaber tip. Just breaking that "line" should make it a bit more natural.

I think the aerial perspective is really well done and that glow either side of the face is very well controlled.
And that sand texture added in the final stage is fantastic! :cheer:

16 Oct 2022 15:08 - 16 Oct 2022 15:09 #42501 by cgmythology
Charlotte:  Thank you, and great suggestion as well!  Will implement it shortly!

Valence:  Excellent suggestions, I'll make the said changes in an upcoming update! Glad you like the image!

I'll have updated on 'Joan of Arc' and 'Jedi Knight' in a few days, want to take a bit of a break from them so I can view it with fresh eyes and also apply the feedback I've received.  With that said, I have a sketch that I completed a few weeks ago that I would like to begin painting.  It's futuristic/sci-fi themed once again, something that I'm really enjoying to tackle!  Below is the sketch, any input before I proceed with some color tests would be most appreciated! 

Attachments:

17 Oct 2022 21:51 #42518 by Digital Dave
Nice works, and I know you might be two images beyond it... (Sorry, I haven't been around regularly) but I just wanted to mention that the lower lip on your 'Joan' image keeps drawing my eye. It looks as if we should see more of her lower lip, as we do with the upper. Or this is how it appears. - Or maybe it's the angle of the area just under the lower lip that's exaggerating it even more? Just a thought...

I don't know the character or if any refs were used, but just wanted to mention it was drawing me each time I view it.

I get sketchy around pencils! ...=D

18 Oct 2022 15:49 #42522 by cgmythology
DigitalDave: Thank you!  Excellent point regarding the lips, the bottom one does look a bit unnatural.  I fixed the issue now, hopefully it looks better!
 Have several updates today;  I finalized both 'Redemption: Joan of Arc' and 'Jedi Knight' based on the input received.  Hopefully they're improved now.  I think I'll call them finished as well unless there is something major that is off!  Below are the finished illustrations:

Next up I resumed work on the cyborg woman, made some small tweaks to the line art and did some quick color tests for the costume.  My personal favorites are B and E as they pop the most, and they're also the most stylish which is exactly what I'm going for.  I'm open to hear input as well, so please feel free to let me know which you feel works best!  Any input is appreciated as always!  

Attachments:

18 Oct 2022 16:30 #42525 by Charlotte
I like B and E best as well, although they do make me think of Kill Bill, with that yellow suit... Maybe it would work in orange as well? Or would that look like a "prison suit"? :) I rather like the white one too (F) though I think it's work better with pink or purple hair instead of white suit and hair.

19 Oct 2022 09:21 #42533 by Digital Dave
Yep, looks like it fits better and isn't drawing my attention as before.

I get sketchy around pencils! ...=D

22 Oct 2022 05:56 - 22 Oct 2022 05:57 #42581 by cgmythology
Charlotte:  Glad to hear it!  I prefer the more yellowish color as it really pops out compared to orange so I went with that.  I'm a huge fan of the Kill Bill movie so the similarity doesn't bother me at all and I feel it works best.

DigitalDave:  Glad to hear it! 

I finished up the image and am fairly satisfied with it.  I stayed true to the general color palette of what I began with and the painting process has once again gone smoothly and didn't give me too much trouble thankfully.  Always pays to plan ahead!  Below is the final image followed by some steps if you're interested.  Any final feedback would be appreciated!

Next up is a new illustration of Superman.  I had a reference for the general pose which you can view  here  although I tried to draw it much more dynamic while emphasizing the anatomy as well.  Any feedback on the sketch before I begin painting it in would be most appreciated! Below is the sketch.

Attachments:

22 Oct 2022 08:38 #42584 by Charlotte
For your "Kill Bill" girl, one thing I miss, now it's done, is a bit of blood splattered on the low wall she's standing on. Seems there should be at least some small splotches/sprays with that big splotch in the foreground. Otherwise nothing :) :thumbup:

For your superman I think you improved on the reference (the ref seems a bit bleak with him moving down from the high buildings in the BG... not sure what the creator of the ref was thinking, there...) but I do think his chest/ribcage would be a bit flatter to the front, rather than rounded as it is now.