April challenge - Banana for scale!

Deadline for entry:

March challenge Winner announced!

CGMythology's Sketchbook (nudity)

20 Jun 2022 15:11 #41126 by Banj
That does look a lot more integrated into the rest of the image now.
The following user(s) said Thank You: cgmythology

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

02 Jul 2022 05:57 - 02 Jul 2022 05:58 #41255 by cgmythology
Banj:  Thanks, glad to hear it!

And it's time for a new illustration!  This is a group of fantasy warriors, was going for a fairly iconic feel with this one.  I had a reference for the general poses as well, while inventing my own character designs since the models were nude for the most part.  Spent a lot of time bringing the sketch to life and I'm fairly satisfied with it.  I attached it below, any input before I begin the painting process would be greatly appreciated!

Attachments:

02 Jul 2022 09:23 #41256 by Charlotte
I like the group composition and their design but I do have a few issues:
1) The first thing I thought of was the front man's right leg (to our left). Might be the knee armour that does it, but the shape looks oddly bulbous and kind of cut off...
2) I'm not sure if these guys are supposed to be all the same approximate size or if the front guy's supposed to be a giant, but since the girl's feet are almost where his bum/feet are, she looks like she'd reach just over his waist, should he stand up. If they are all "human" in size, I think she needs to be pushed back. And also her foot might look better angled towards us than seen from the side - it looks like a bit of an awkward pose for her...

Any an all misspellings are henceforth blamed on the cats.

02 Jul 2022 11:17 #41257 by Valence
I don't like the way that the arm pulling the bow is at a completely different angle to the arrow and there doesn't seem to be any tension in the pose or bow. I'd have a look at some proper, more dynamic archery reference as it currently looks more like someone posing for a camera rather than someone ready to shoot.

14 Jul 2022 17:08 #41386 by cgmythology
Charlotte:  Thanks!  I reworked the image a bit, hopefully it works better now!

Valence:  I agree, I reworked the archer's pose significantly, hopefully it works better now!................I reworked the image significantly based on the great feedback I've received.  Below is the final image followed by the steps for those interested;  Of course there's still time for some changes if necessary, so if anything feels off please feel to let me know!  Thanks again to everyone who offered their help!

Attachments:

14 Jul 2022 17:59 #41388 by Valence
Much better pose on that archer! :aha:
I like the hazy background trees too, it feels very "foresty" and natural.

16 Jul 2022 16:08 - 16 Jul 2022 16:08 #41413 by cgmythology
Valence:  Thank you, glad to hear it!

Time for a new sketch!  This time I wanted to concentrate on one character.  Was in the mood to paint a strong warrior woman, and for reference I had this great photo which you can view  here .  I did my best to recreate the general pose, while coming up with a new character design so I didn't want to be a complete slave to the reference.  Any input before I begin the painting process would be welcome!

Attachments:

17 Jul 2022 08:03 #41418 by cgmythology
I did some changes to the line art and did some quick color tests as I didn't have a strong idea for the colors this time, so I chose to do some tests to try out different options.  Ironically the first one I find the weakest, so it's a good thing I did them.  My personal favorite my far is C, I feel it has the strongest colors and values.  Any input would be appreciated!

Attachments:

17 Jul 2022 14:53 #41421 by Valence
I like the value range for C, it makes the image easier to read but I find the blue a little too cool. In terms of temperature B looks most appealing to my eye.

18 Jul 2022 16:21 #41436 by cgmythology
Valence:  Thank you, went with C and will likely introduce some more greenish tones as I progress!

Here is the current progress, still has a long way to go but I'm happy with how it's turning out so far.  Any input appreciated as always!

Attachments: