April challenge - Banana for scale!

Deadline for entry:

March challenge Winner announced!

CGMythology's Sketchbook (nudity)

19 Jul 2022 15:41 #41447 by cgmythology
Current update, worked mostly on bringing life to the environment.  Pretty pleased with it.  I'll resume painting in the figure now as it needs a lot of refinement, but it's getting there surely.  Any feedback is welcome!

Attachments:

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

23 Jul 2022 04:29 #41477 by cgmythology
I resumed working on the image and made some changes to the composition/environment and refined and detailed everything even further.  I think it's pretty much done at this stage, quite exhausted from working on the image for so long.  With that said, please feel free to offer any input if something is really off as there's always time to improve it if necessary!  Below is the final image:

Attachments:

23 Jul 2022 14:14 #41485 by Valence
Nice work. The only thing I'd consider changing is the glare on the hair. It feels a little too intense and washes out the otherwise strong silhouette of the character, so just toning down the strength/opacity should help with that. :)
The following user(s) said Thank You: cgmythology

26 Jul 2022 16:00 #41513 by cgmythology
Valence:  Thanks!  Great point regarding the glow, I sometimes overdo this effect so I might revisit it in the future................
 Started on a new illustration, featuring a prince with his mischievous dragon.  I'm going for a classical fantasy feel with this one, so I'll likely use some cool colors for the painting process... we'll see!  Figure referenced  here , tried my best to stay close to the general pose while taking a lot of artistic liberties in regards to his design and overall look.  Any feedback would be appreciate it before I try some quick color tests!

Attachments:

27 Jul 2022 17:05 #41529 by cgmythology
I tweaked the sketch a bit and began some color tests.  I think 'A' is the strongest, but any suggestions on what works best is more than welcome! 
Attachments:

27 Jul 2022 18:28 #41531 by Valence
Nice. I'd say A or D.
I think D has the best colour harmony but, as with the previous one, you'll have to be careful to maintain that edge at the top of the head with so many similar hues.

29 Jul 2022 18:21 #41560 by cgmythology
Valence:  Thanks!  I've decided to mix A and B for a more natural look and giving it much thought. 

.............I proceeded the painting process, combined both A and B for the colors.  It's come quite a long way too and I'm pretty happy with how it's shaping up.  Any input is welcome as always!

Attachments:

31 Jul 2022 08:07 #41576 by cgmythology
I finished up the painting process, pretty pleased with how the image turned out.  Of course there's still time for revising if needed.

I also started on a new self portrait, wanted to go for a classic feel with this one which will be much more obvious during the painting process.  Any input on the material is welcome! 

Attachments:

31 Jul 2022 08:43 #41577 by Charlotte
I like them both :)
For the finished one, I think maybe the shadows should have been a bit deeper under the arm (not sure we should see the cloak all the way to his waist under the arm, but rather part of his waistcoat thingy?) and on the thigh/butt area on our right side. The fabrics look great though, as does his face. The other thing I do react to is the blue glow on the butterflies. I think the front one is a bit too blue and the back ones a bit too dark against the sky: if they glow they shouldn't look like they darken anything. I'd probably lighten the glow, or use a blend mode that lightens it/the colours behind it, so that it actually looks glowy.

Any an all misspellings are henceforth blamed on the cats.

31 Jul 2022 11:26 #41578 by Valence
I think the butterflies look a little too stylized. You'd be better off defining them as a simple pattern rather than flat colour with such a bold outline.
Terrific textures on the outfit though and I really like the work on the guy's face and the expression. :aha: