April challenge - Banana for scale!

Deadline for entry:

March challenge Winner announced!

CGMythology's Sketchbook (nudity)

16 Aug 2022 16:23 #41710 by cgmythology
Valence:  Thanks, glad to hear it!  Great suggestions as well, just made the final changes!.............. I made some final adjustments to the image based on the input I received and finalized it.  I'm calling it done for now, here is the final image:  ..............
 Up next is another take on the Greek Goddess Athena.  The image was inspired by a recent photo from Grafit Studio that I recently purchased, so I did my best to recreate the general pose while taking some artistic liberties on the costume design.  Also went for a complex environment this time, which was very time consuming as it took me 3 times to get right, but I'm quite happy with the sketch I must admit.  Any feedback before I begin some color tests would be most welcome! 
Attachments:

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

16 Aug 2022 17:13 #41711 by Banj
The helmet isn't sitting at the same angle as her head. You would be able to see the other side of it as you can with her face.

e.g.

Attachments:
The following user(s) said Thank You: cgmythology

18 Aug 2022 17:54 #41741 by cgmythology
Banj:  Excellent points!  I refined the helmet per your input, very helpful!
 I refined the sketch a bit further and improved many aspects of it all around thanks to the feedback received.  I began painting it in, had a very clear vision of the colors I wanted to use so I didn't bother with the color tests for this one.  I'm keeping things fairly desaturated at this point for a more natural look.  Still has a long way to go but I'm pretty pleased with the progress.  Below is the current update:   
Attachments:

18 Aug 2022 19:32 #41743 by Valence
This is looking nice and I really love the owl! :)
There are are couple of small issues with the face in this version which may just be down to the intermediate stage of the shading. The nose looks a little skewed, as if its turning up and away from us, and that may be caused by the darkness beneath the nostril and the curved highlight that goes all the way up to the forehead. Breaking that highlight towards the brow might help with that.
Also the distant eyelid appears a lot bigger than the one on the near side.

I think both of these issues are the types of things can be more easily seen and fixed after flipping the pictur, which is always worth doing from time to time. :aha:

23 Aug 2022 17:13 - 23 Aug 2022 17:14 #41781 by cgmythology
Valence:  Thanks you!  I revised the face and tried my best to rectify the issues, I hope it works better now!

I finished up the image finally.  Pretty pleased with it overall, but I'm open to any final suggestions if something is off so please let me know!  Below is the final image followed by the steps for those interested!

Attachments:

23 Aug 2022 18:34 #41782 by Valence
Yes, the face looks so much better with those subtle changes to the eyes and nose. Excellent work. :thumbup:

23 Aug 2022 19:43 #41784 by Banj
I like the lighting. The raised upper arm looks a little funky as if it's broken in the middle.

24 Aug 2022 17:02 #41786 by cgmythology
Valence:  Glad to hear it, thanks!

Banj:  Thanks, hope the arm isn't too distracting!

Updated the image a bit for some final tweaking, I'm calling it done for now.  Thanks to everyone who commented and gave their feedback, it was really helpful and made for a better image in the end!  

Attachments:

29 Aug 2022 17:27 #41849 by cgmythology
Time for a new illustration! I wanted to try to tackle a bit more of a dynamic perspective with this one, so this is as much as the environment as it is for the figures, which were referenced from Grafit Studio.  I'm pretty satisfied with the line art but any input before  I do some color tests would definitely be appreciated! 
Attachments:

31 Aug 2022 13:01 #41887 by cgmythology
I revised the sketch and decided to do some color tests.  I think going to go with 'A' as I think the colors works best there, and I haven't used that sort of color palette before so I'll likely go with that... Any suggestions on what colors work best would be appreciated, however as I'm curious to hear others thoughts in that regard!

Attachments: