March challenge - Enter here!

Deadline for entry:

February challenge WINNER ANNOUNCED!

CGMythology's Sketchbook (nudity)

31 Jan 2022 18:31 - 31 Jan 2022 18:57 #39307 by Banj
Sorry about that George, I pinged you an email just now to let you know. I've restore the post but you'll need to edit to add the broken attachment back.

I also forgot to mention that we refer to the bot as HAL in reference to 2001: a Space Odyssey, and the comment he makes calling you Dave is when he deletes a message is meant to be a joke based on that  . Not sure what triggered him to remove your post, but he's attacked everyone at some time or other. Maybe your IP address or something is different to your usual posts.

EDIT - And if you still have any problems with it let me know.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

01 Feb 2022 06:29 #39333 by Charlotte
Glad it worked out and you can post again :)

I like your catwoman, but I rather wish I could see the ref because there are a couple of things that I react to:
1) I think it must be her pinkie but it reads to me like a thumb. The angle between it and the next finger just seems too wide - and I think it would be easily remidied by just adjusting the shape/direction of the nail.
2) The back arm looks so very very straight. Perhaps it should, but I can't help but think that a slight bend at the elbow would suit her better. (And maybe we should see a wee hint of the far shoulder blade as well, in this pose? Not sure.)
3) Not sure what she's sitting on, but if it's supposed to be the top of a building I suggest rethinking the detailing, as it implies that she's huuuuge....? There's also something off perspective wise, with the "vertical" lines, I think? Though I've only had 2 hours of sleep, so it might just be me going cross eyed....

Any an all misspellings are henceforth blamed on the cats.

01 Feb 2022 12:45 #39339 by Banj
I agree that the outstretched arm looks very awkward and broken.

06 Feb 2022 08:03 - 06 Feb 2022 08:06 #39458 by cgmythology
*edit*  I wasn't aware there was feedback after I posted the sketch as there was a problem with my post, thanks to everyone  who responded.  I did end up fixing the hand as I noticed that as well, hopefully the image works better now!

I finished up the Catwoman image, very pleased with how it turned out.  Of course there's still time for tweaks and minor changes if necessary, so any final feedback would be more than welcome.  Below is the illustration followed by some steps for those interested!

Attachments:

07 Feb 2022 14:51 - 07 Feb 2022 14:51 #39491 by Valence
Interesting to see such a warm colour for the moon. I'd never think of doing a colour scheme like that but it works well with those skin tones.
The following user(s) said Thank You: cgmythology

12 Feb 2022 06:33 #39561 by cgmythology
Valence:  Thank you!  I wanted to do something unique for the moon, so it's great to hear your positive input!

Time for a new illustration!  I wanted to draw something a bit more dynamic in terms of perspective while maintaining an iconic look to the image, and this is the result.  The 'Gladiator' theme was something I wanted to do for a while as well, and I feel it works quite well here.  The figure was referenced from 'Grafit' with some artistic liberty taken in terms of character design.  Any input before I begin the painting process would be greatly appreciated!  Below is the sketch:

Attachments:

12 Feb 2022 08:36 #39562 by Charlotte
Looking promising! :)
I do have a few comments, as usual... :p

The cyclops head seems a bit "flat at the back" due to it's position/size. It seems to me that if it had a normal human-shaped skull, it would end up a bit higher above the hard surface. Also I don't understand what the shape at the bottom is? If a soft ear, like a floppy goat ear, I think it's fall down, not point up. If a horn, half of it wouldn't disappear into the rock surface below... Or is it a cut?

The thing they're on... Is it a staircase to nowhere? a pyramidal shape? The perspective lines look a little off, but I also find it a little odd looking for having steps on one side whereas all the other sides line up. Personally I think a step pyramid shape might work better. Oh and where is the horizon line? It seems to be both at the very bottom of the pic (looking at the cylindrical buildings which we see from below all the way) and around her feet, looking at the stairs/pyramidal structure which we see from above.

And a minor thing that I know will be at least partially resolved by colour: the hair outline is so similar to the tattered skirt outline that I first thought the skirt was part of her hair. Might want to try to differentiate the shapes a bit. But colour etc would probably solve it too.

Any an all misspellings are henceforth blamed on the cats.

12 Feb 2022 15:48 #39565 by Valence
Love the dramatic viewpoint in this one!

I think the perspective on the base looks OK. It's just the bands around the pillars that seem to look inconsistent.
Looking forward to seeing this one develop. :)

04 Mar 2022 17:15 #39913 by cgmythology
Charlotte:  Thank you!  Hopefully the head makes more sense now that it's painted!  The perspective of the pillars at the bottom is off so I corrected those as well.  Hopefully it works better now!  Great input as always!

Valence:  Thank you!  Wanted to do something more dynamic with perspective so I'm glad you appreciate it!  I fixed the pillars as well, great input!

I finished up the painting process!  Had a lot of fun with this one.  Of course there's still time to revise it if needed, so please feel free to let me know any final input.  Below is the final image followed by the steps for those interested.

Attachments:

04 Mar 2022 19:07 #39918 by Valence
Those pillars look much better now. :aha:
Love the out of focus leaves in the foreground. It really pushes the extreme perspective even further to make it even more epic.

I also like the picture in the penultimate step too, before you increased the yellow glow. That image is just as good as the final but has a slightly different mood to it. :)