May challenge - Alien excavation

Deadline for entry:

April challenge Voting open!

CGMythology's Sketchbook (nudity)

24 Apr 2022 13:38 #40426 by cgmythology
Charlotte:  Glad to hear it!

And it's time for another illustration!  I wanted to create something inspired by Boris Vallejo with this one, and I wanted to do something a bit straightforward.  I also avoided a  complex background with this to keep things simple, but hopefully it'll be a bit more interesting when I paint it in.  Below is the sketch, any input before coloring it in would be greatly appreciated as always!

Attachments:

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

25 Apr 2022 12:53 #40429 by Valence
Looks good so far. The uncluttered simplicity is quite effective especially with the strong ground base to anchor the character and, as a line drawing, it reminds me of the illustrations in those old Fighting Fantasy books. :thumbup:
The following user(s) said Thank You: cgmythology

14 May 2022 12:35 #40679 by cgmythology
Valence:  Thank you kindly!  That's quite a compliment as well as I'm a huge fan of those books!

I finished up the painting process and had a blast with this one.  Below is the final image followed by the steps if you're interested.  Of course there's still time to revise it, so any feedback is always welcome and encouraged!

Attachments:

15 May 2022 14:33 #40684 by cgmythology
Next up I worked on a new fantasy-inspired piece, this time of a Goblin in a swamp.  Always wanted to illustrate a goblin so I just went ahead and done so.  I had a reference for the general pose of the figure  here  as well, courtesy of The Pose Archives.  Below is the sketch, any input before I begin the painting process would be hugely appreciated!

Attachments:

15 May 2022 18:12 #40685 by Valence
I like the look of this one.
One minor thing is the way that the dagger in the top hand is a little too close to where the thumb is. It's like there isn't enough space for the thumb to "wrap around" so either move the edge of the handle a bit to the left or push the thumb a bit more to the right and then the grip should seem more natural.

25 May 2022 16:40 #40800 by cgmythology
Valence:  Thank you!  I reworked the area mentioned a bit, hopefully it works better now!
............I updated the sketch based on the feedback I received and painted the image in.  The environment took a bit longer than anticipated but overall I'm satisfied with how it turned out.  As always there's still time to improve it if necessary, so if something looks off please let me know!  Below is the final image followed by the steps for those interested.

Attachments:

26 May 2022 14:14 #40810 by cgmythology
I started work on a new illustrating, a fan art featuring 'Jax' from the 'Mortal Kombat' series.  Trying to create an iconic look with this one.  Below is the drawing, any input before I begin to paint it in would be highly appreciated!

Attachments:

07 Jun 2022 14:48 #41001 by cgmythology
I finished painting the 'Jax' Mortal Kombat fanart piece.  Below is the final image followed by the steps for those interested.  Any final input is welcome, so if something feels off please let me know! 

Attachments:

07 Jun 2022 15:13 #41002 by Banj
I find the cigar smoke a little distracting and disconnected from everything else. The source of the smoke is to one side of the cigar that is creating it (which you had right in your earlier stages), it also isn't affected in any way by the strong coloured light sources (the intense yellow backlight and the orange glow of the burning cigar).

20 Jun 2022 15:05 #41125 by cgmythology
Banj:  Great point!  I worked on the issue and did some more detail work, hopefully it's better now!  Below is the final image:

Attachments: