April challenge - Banana for scale!

Deadline for entry:

March challenge Winner announced!

CGMythology's Sketchbook (nudity)

15 Jan 2022 13:31 #39033 by cgmythology
And time for a new illustration!  Wanted to do something a bit different than the usual fantasy work so I went with a sci fi theme, this time featuring a friendly space alien smoking a cigar because... why not?  Here is the finished sketch, any input before I begin the painting process would be greatly appreciated!

Attachments:

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

15 Jan 2022 14:50 #39036 by Valence
The Flash picture is fantastic. The subject matter really suits your vibrant, saturated style and you've perfectly captured the movement and energy of the character. Great work! :thumbup:
The following user(s) said Thank You: cgmythology

15 Jan 2022 15:57 #39039 by Charlotte
I like your alien! I'm thinking maybe, if it smokes, it would also wear something... (Might of course settle for dressing his nether regions...) I think it'd be a shame to cover up the body and markings you have designed, but maybe something like a sash (the diagonal kind royals and beauty contestants wear) could be added, and maybe some pin or something, to that sash. But it's just an idea :)

Any an all misspellings are henceforth blamed on the cats.

18 Jan 2022 14:32 #39075 by cgmythology
Valence:  Thank you!  Glad to hear that!

Charlotte:  Thank you! Great suggestion, and although I won't apply clothing to this particular alien, your suggestion did give me an idea of painting an alien in a luxurious attire which I plan on exploring soon.  I like him naked in this image as I wanted to show off the skin texturing, and I think it adds to the humor as well!

I finished up the painting process!  This is definitely my most successful alien image I feel so I'm quite satisfied with how it turned out.  I'm calling this finalized unless there's anything major off, so any final input is welcome!  Below is the final image followed by some steps!

Attachments:

18 Jan 2022 15:38 #39076 by Charlotte
That IS a nice skin texture, too! :)
There are two small things for me: In hindsight I think his mouth could have been formed around the cigar a bit more - it doesn't really look like he has it between his lips. Second thing are the "streaks" of darker blue in the sky - they give the impression that the moon behind him is hurtling (did I spell that right?) through space... (And I just now noticed that for the smallest moon, there seem to be stars this side of it, which would make for very very small stars/suns...)

Otherwise it's a great pic and you're right to be proud!

Any an all misspellings are henceforth blamed on the cats.

20 Jan 2022 18:04 #39093 by cgmythology
Charlotte:  Glad to hear it!  Made some very minor changes to the image, hopefully it looks more natural now.  Next up I started on a new sketch, back to my usual fantasy theme.  I'm actually working on a big project featuring dragons and knights, so I thought I would practice those themes a bit more and came up with this.  Figure was referenced from Satine Zillah's 'Knight' reference pack from ArtStation as well, the lightning in it is very dynamic which I hope to recreate when I begin painting it in... but before I do that any input would be appreciated!  Here is the current sketch: 

Attachments:

20 Jan 2022 22:01 #39098 by Valence
I agree with all the praise about that alien skin texture. :aha:
Beautifully done.

29 Jan 2022 17:31 #39260 by cgmythology
Valence:  Thank you kindly!

Finished up the new painting, took a lot of work as I played up the details quite significantly.  Of course there's still time to revise if needed, so any final input would be most appreciated.  Below is the final followed by some steps if you're interested!

Attachments:

29 Jan 2022 18:08 #39262 by Valence
I like the creepy, glowing eyes and the detail in the beard looks very natural and well rendered.

31 Jan 2022 18:20 - 01 Feb 2022 04:54 #39306 by cgmythology
Valence:  Thank you, glad to hear it!!

And time for a new illustration!  Back in 'fan art' mode, decided to sketch 'Catwoman' with the likeness of the actress that's playing her in the new Batman movie, Zoe Kravitz.  The general pose was referenced from one of  Grafit's  excellent reference packs as well.  Overall I'm fairly pleased with the linework but I wanted to her any feedback before I begin the painting process.  Here is the current sketch:

Attachments: