April challenge - Banana for scale!

Deadline for entry:

March challenge Winner announced!

CGMythology's Sketchbook (nudity)

06 Mar 2022 15:10 #39944 by cgmythology
Valence:  Glad to hear it!  I might have overdone it with the yellowish tone for the final, hopefully it's not too big of a deal!

Time for a new illustration!  Want to experiment with a sci-fi theme again so I chose to depict a cyborg.  I was inspired by this reference photo here which had very dynamic lightning.  I didn't want to be a slave to it so I came up with my own figure as well as theme.  Below is the sketch, any input before I begin the painting process would be appreciated!

Attachments:

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

06 Mar 2022 16:08 #39945 by Charlotte
That ref's one sultry looking dude :P
Anyway, only comment is that as with your previous cigars/cigarettes, this one doesn't actually seem to be between his lips but just in front of them. Basically I think you just need to soften the two sharp "fang-like" shapes on his upper lip (either side of the cigarette).

Any an all misspellings are henceforth blamed on the cats.

13 Mar 2022 05:21 #40043 by cgmythology
Charlotte:  Indeed!  Hopefully the cigarette looks more natural now that's it's painted, please let me know!

Finished the painting process for the cyborg.  Tried to play up the details with this one and am fairly satisfied with how it turned out.  Below is the image followed by the steps if you're interested.  Of course there's still time to apply feedback if necessary, so any input is welcome!

Attachments:

13 Mar 2022 14:56 #40044 by Charlotte
It does look better but I still don't find it convincing. I tried a bit of a paintover but I can't say I find my version very convincing either... Anyway, I think the cig needs to "go a bit higher" with the upper lip sort of curving softly around it... 

Attachments:
The following user(s) said Thank You: cgmythology

19 Mar 2022 18:22 #40118 by cgmythology
Charlotte:  Interesting!  I see your point, might revise the image in the future if I revisit it.  Coincidentally I just sketched out another figure with a cigar, so I took your critique and applied it to that image (will publish it at a later point!).  Thanks for taking the time to illustrate your input as well, very much appreciate it!

I began work on another personal piece, an illustration of Baby Yoda.  Want to do something a bit simpler this time in terms of composition, so I didn't opt for a detailed setting.  Below is the sketch, any feedback before I begin the painting process would be most appreciated!

Attachments:

19 Mar 2022 18:32 #40119 by Charlotte
The only thing I notice is the shape of the thicker lines denoting the eyes. They're not the same which looks a bit odd. (Left looks like a realistic closed eyelid while the right one looks more like a cutesy emoji smiling eye type of thing.)

19 Mar 2022 18:50 - 19 Mar 2022 18:50 #40120 by Valence
I'm never good at judging things from the linework but the chin doesn't look quite right to me. It currently makes him look a bit older and more chubby that I imagine/remember him to look. Maybe lifting it a little and making it a bit more rounded would help.

29 Mar 2022 08:13 #40210 by cgmythology
Charlotte:  Great feedback, thank you!  I made the correction before I began the painting process, hopefully it's OK now!

Valence: You're right, made the change you suggested and it works much better now, thank you for that!

And the image is finished!  Had a blast with this from start to finish, although the colors weren't quite working during the later stages.  I actually limited the color palette towards the end for better harmony as the grass color was too distracting.  Below is the final image followed by the steps for those interested.

Attachments:

29 Mar 2022 08:29 #40211 by Charlotte
Aw, I really like that little bit of fuzz at the top of his head and the way it's lit :)

The following user(s) said Thank You: cgmythology

06 Apr 2022 03:38 #40294 by cgmythology
Charlotte:  Thank you, glad you like that effect! :)

Did some final tweaks to Baby Yoda, hopefully the image works a bit better now!

Next up I began working on a new image depicting a female orc.  Pretty happy with how the sketch turned out!  I had a reference for the general pose which can be viewed here , did my best to recreate the general gesture and pose and I think I was fairly successful in that regard.  I'm about ready to begin painting but feedback would be most welcome before I do so!  Here is the sketch:

Attachments: