April challenge - Banana for scale!

Deadline for entry:

March challenge Winner announced!

CGMythology's Sketchbook (nudity)

26 Nov 2019 12:11 #26870 by Digital Dave
I was thinking the very same about the wing tip. Unless they were larger in general, it wouldn't show as is with the current angle of the head.

I get sketchy around pencils! ...=D

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

27 Nov 2019 13:11 - 27 Nov 2019 13:12 #26888 by cgmythology
Valence: Thank you! Glad you dig the start to 'Cap'. For the oval lines, I 'cheated' and used Photoshop's circle/oval tool, which required a small amount of my cunning. Don't judge me!!! :lol:

Banj: Ah, great point regarding the 'wing', I just removed it. As for the star on his costume, I think it works better given the angle. I'm not not trying to be accurate to any specific version of Cap, so I'm taking a lot of artistic liberty in that regard!!!

Digital Dave: Yep, you're right, just removed it!

I began the painting process on 'Cap', pretty pleased with how it's turning out so far. Using mostly hard edged brushes so far (except on the sky which was done primarily with soft brushes), I'm thinking of incorporating more texture with this piece so I'm going to play around with speckled brushes as I continue to work on it. Any feedback is appreciated as always!!!

Attachments:

27 Nov 2019 18:43 #26891 by cgmythology
I worked on the image a great deal, refined the skin heavily, made more progress on the environment. Enriched colors a bit as well to make them a bit more lively. Here is the current progress:

Attachments:

27 Nov 2019 19:04 #26892 by Charlotte
didn't notice before but it looks a bit odd how the crumbling building follows the shape of his shoulder... I'd suggest fixing that, otherwise it's coming along wonderfully. :)

Any an all misspellings are henceforth blamed on the cats.

07 Dec 2019 18:55 #26996 by cgmythology
Charlotte: Ah, great eye! Just fixed the issue you mentioned, thank you!!! :)

I did some significant work on Cap, I think it's pretty much done at this point. Don't want to overwork it. Here is the current progress, any final input would be very much appreciated!

I worked on a new sketch as well of a Pirate Girl. I spent a lot of time on it to really bring it to life, it's easily one of my most detailed sketches to date.

The figure was referenced from a stock photo which was the inspiration for the illustration, and can be viewed here: imge.to/i/vw1DRw

Here is the new sketch:

And that'll be all for now! Thanks in advance for any feedback, always very grateful and appreciate of them!
Attachments:

07 Dec 2019 20:02 #26998 by Charlotte
For Cap I'd say just maybe a hint of texture or detail or something on those airplanes above so they don't look too smooth... Maybe fade the further one a bit too (atmospheric perspective) to push it back?

For Pirate Girl, I'm not convinced by her face - it looks a little strange. Maybe the nose is too small or don't line up with the mouth? Not sure. The hands need work and I think you should take a look at ship sterns (or is it the other end? I can't recall what's what) too, for the sinking ship. Other than that it looks OK though personally I don't think the "cutesy finger to the mouth" quite works for a pirate character... Toughen her up a bit! ;)

07 Dec 2019 21:14 #27000 by Valence
I agree about the planes/ships, and the same could be said of that building behind his neck.
They look a little like 3d models before you click render. Just a little more detailing to the structure and then some texturing will do the trick.

09 Dec 2019 04:53 #27013 by cgmythology
Charlotte: Great input on Cap, just made those changes. Regarding the Pirate Girl,I'm going for more of a sultry/playful look than a dangerous one so that's quite intentional :D I'll definitely study some references for the boat when it comes to painting it as well!

Valence: Yep, great points! I fixed the values a bit and added debit, texture, etc. Made a huge difference so thank you!

Received some great input and reworked the Cap environment significantly, I think it's a huge improvement! Not sure what else I can do to it at the moment, but any suggestions are welcome!

Next up is the Pirate Girl, made some changes to the line art and began the painting process. I spent a great deal of time on it so far so it has come quite a long way. Environment needs a lot of work but I'm pretty pleased with the progress so far:

.... and that'll be all for now. Any input is always appreciated!
Attachments:

09 Dec 2019 14:49 #27017 by Charlotte
Don't forget to rework those hands ;)

15 Dec 2019 06:26 #27104 by cgmythology
Charlotte: I refined the hands, feel free to let me know if it works better or if I should rework them further, as they seem pretty good to me as is (although I might be wrong as I've worked too long on the image and might have become 'immune' to its mistakes!)

Worked a great deal on the illustration and it's almost finalized. Refined it as much as I could and reworked the colors (I've worked too many times with cool colors so I opted to do something a bit different and went for a much warmer color scheme).

Would definitely love to hear any input before calling it final, however, so any input would be greatly appreciated as always! Here is the current WIP:

Attachments: