March challenge - Enter here!

Deadline for entry:

February challenge WINNER ANNOUNCED!

CGMythology's Sketchbook (nudity)

30 Mar 2020 15:05 #28519 by Charlotte
Great job on the face! He looks like he's enjoying himself :)

Might be the shading or so but something feels a little skewed with the plane, now. Maybe it's the angle of the support wheels... not sure...

Any an all misspellings are henceforth blamed on the cats.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

30 Mar 2020 20:41 #28532 by Valence
It may be down to those windows on the nose area. I'm not sure you'd see that much (or any part) of the cockpit from that low angle.

04 Apr 2020 07:32 #28605 by cgmythology
Charlotte: Thank you! Good call regarding the plane, will see what I can do to make it appear more natural!

Valence: Maybe, I'll take another crack at it soon!

Decided to take a short break from the image to begin on a new one, this time depicting a friend and fellow artist 'Steve Cas' as a cyborg. Very excited for this image and just finished up a sketch, please let me know any input as I'd like to get as much right as possible before beginning the painting stage, just makes this easier! Any comments are welcome!

Attachments:

04 Apr 2020 15:20 #28608 by Valence
Nice looking sketch. :)
As always, I find it tough to judge proportions on just linework but the challenge on this one will definitely be the foreshortening on that weapon/arm. The values used in the painting phase will play a big role in that and don't be afraid of mocking up a little 3D model to get it right.

05 Apr 2020 08:54 #28614 by cgmythology
Valence: Thanks! I actually did a bit more work on the sketch before the painting process, reworked the cannon significantly for something a bit more dynamic, hope it's better now!

So I reworked the sketch a bit, just tried to make it a bit more dynamic while reworking the hand cannon entirely for something more appealing. Pretty pleased with it so far. Also began the painting process, it's very early but it should give you an idea of where it's heading:

Attachments:

05 Apr 2020 11:57 #28616 by Atto
Looking awesome CG! Only comment I’d make is that calf muscle on the left looks a little bulbous for the position of his foot. At the moment it looks like he’d be up on his toes for that kind of compression of the muscle. But that could be part of the design if that leg is bionic too. Love your colour choices, the green/blue trousers sit nicely against the orange bg.

No smudge tool was harmed in the making of this image.

11 Apr 2020 08:36 #28658 by cgmythology
Atto: Great point regarding the calf muscle, will tone it down by the next update! Glad you enjoy the color work!

I resumed work on the image, made some changes on the left leg to make it look more natural. Image has come quite a long way I'd say, but it still needs some work. Any input is appreciated as always!

Attachments:

18 Apr 2020 18:18 #28705 by cgmythology
I reworked the leg significantly, updated the anatomy and design. Also revised the image overall to bring in more refinement and detail. It's getting there!

Attachments:

18 Apr 2020 22:00 - 18 Apr 2020 22:01 #28706 by Valence
Excellent progress, the dark smoke in the background is a great addition.
I'm not sure about the changes to those toes at the bottom right. In this version the angle of the foot doesn't quite match the ground beneath. A bit more tweaking may be needed. No such problems with the other foot though. That looks amazing with the way the light is just catching the front part of the shoe! Sooooo convincing!

27 Apr 2020 08:42 #28780 by cgmythology
Valence: Thank you! I tweaked the toes a bit and finalized the image, hope it's better now!

I continued to revise the image and finalized it. Pretty happy with how it turned out! Thanks to everyone who helped me with the image, received some great feedback which I tried my best to incorporate, and I feel the image is much stronger as a result. Calling it done now, already have an idea for a new painting and will be posting a sketch soon for that as well. Here is the final image:

Attachments: