April challenge - Banana for scale!

Deadline for entry:

March challenge Winner announced!

CGMythology's Sketchbook (nudity)

28 Apr 2020 09:44 #28789 by Atto
That’s fantastic CG! Really love the way the hand sits over the fire and smoke in the background, almost as if he’s holding the destruction of the far away city in his fist. The shadowed leg is really subtle but still evident and as Val said the light that hits the front of his shoe is a really cool little touch.
There’s just enough detail in his ripped shirt and trousers to keep the eye interested without detracting from the style and there’s a logic to the rocks that surround him that suggests they were actually part of a structure and not just placed haphazardly for dramatic effect (though they accomplish that as well).
I think this is my favourite piece of yours I’ve seen.
Excellent stuff!

No smudge tool was harmed in the making of this image.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

04 May 2020 13:18 #28895 by cgmythology
Atto: Thank you, glad to hear you enjoy those subtle lighting effects! Really positive feedback you gave me, thank you kindly!

Starting on a new painting, something a bit more classical and Fantasy themed. I spent quite some time on the sketch, wanted to get some input before I begin the painting process, however. Here is the sketch:

Any input is appreciated and welcome as always!
Attachments:

04 May 2020 13:29 #28897 by Charlotte
Looking nice and classical :)

The one thing that struck me is the eye of the dragon. It seems to be a classical western dragon with the eye ono the side of the head yet the eye is drawn as if it's forward facing. I think it'd look more natural if we saw more of the tear duct side of it, so to speak. (And currently the dragon seem to enjoy looking at the girl's toes, too - perhaps make him look her in the eyes?)

The girl has a very sweet face, though compared to the pretty circlet her dress looks rather plain. Unless that's on purpose, perhaps an ornate belt or some such would make a nice addition?

Looking forward to seeing it coloured up :)
and PS - very well done hand ;)

Any an all misspellings are henceforth blamed on the cats.

10 May 2020 15:32 #28999 by cgmythology
Charlotte: Thanks, that's the vibe I'm going for! :D Great point regarding the dragon, decided to close it along with the woman's to help make the image more emotional. I agree about the dress, refined it a bit and planning to detail it with delicate patterns and such as it progresses, great suggestion!

I reworked the sketch a bit based on the suggestions, decided to have them embracing more and have their eyes closed, which makes the image a bit more intimate. I'm pleased with the sketch so I went ahead and began the painting process, here is the current preview:

Any input is always welcome as always :)
Attachments:

10 May 2020 20:39 #29002 by Valence
That looks nice now. The change in expression has given the image a much more interesting mood.
Keep it going. :)

16 May 2020 07:44 #29096 by cgmythology
Valence: Thanks, glad you like the new expression!

Continued to work on the image, spent a lot of time on the Dragon especially. Pretty happy with how it's turning out, here is the current progress:

Feedback appreciated as always!
Attachments:

21 Jun 2020 12:47 #29742 by cgmythology
Finally had time to finish this piece, very happy with how it turned out, especially in regards to lighting and color. Here is the final image:

I began on a new illustration, spent a ton of time on the linework. The 'owl' is placeholder for now, want to create a sort of magical effect during the painting process, will keep it or discard it depending on how well it goes. Here is the current sketch:

Feedback would definitely be appreciated before I begin painting, so feel free to offer any input!
Attachments:

21 Jun 2020 12:59 - 21 Jun 2020 13:00 #29744 by Charlotte
That's a very nicely intricate helmet :) It does look a wee bit as if the helmet is looking in one direction while her head is slightly inclined in another, but I think that can be remedied by making the shaded far side of the helmet by the brow a bit smaller and maybe also decrease the "bulge" of her brow a bit as well (it currently suggests that we're seeing a bit of her other eyebrow but I am assuming both her face and the helmet are to be in perfect profile?)

The lines defining her jaw/neck are a bit harsh but I'm pretty sure that'll be remedied "by itself" when you apply colour :)

EDIT: and silly me forgot the first pic when seeing the second! But it's a lovely light and a wonderful "fairy-tale feeling" in the dragon picture :)

Any an all misspellings are henceforth blamed on the cats.

23 Jun 2020 18:54 #29807 by Atto
Though I’m not really into fairy tale images like your dragon I think you used the saturated colour and the white light ‘burn’ to create a really distinctive atmosphere here that sits perfectly with the subject matter.
The new one looks interesting and I’m looking forward to see how you handle that owl.

No smudge tool was harmed in the making of this image.

24 Jun 2020 20:28 #29824 by Valence
Love the glare of the light. It really pushes the intensity of the image and also connects the characters with the background environment.