March challenge - Enter here!

Deadline for entry:

February challenge WINNER ANNOUNCED!

CGMythology's Sketchbook (nudity)

28 Jun 2020 05:58 #29872 by cgmythology
Charlotte: Thank you! Spent a lot of time on the helmet so I'm glad you enjoy! I made some minor changes to the helmet, hopefully it works better now. Great point regarding the lines on the jaw/neck, I'll probably remove them during the painting process. Glad you enjoy the dragon image as well, lots of fun with that one! :)

Atto: Thank you, I had a lot of fun tackling the light on the dragon image image so I'm glad to hear that!

Valence: Appreciate it!!

I began the painting process for Athena, focused on establishing the lighting above all. Still fairly early but I think it's looking fairly decent at this stage:

Feedback welcome as always :)
Attachments:

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

28 Jun 2020 07:40 #29873 by Charlotte
I hate to say this but, I think your changes just made another error... we really shouldn't see that much of the front of the plume thingy when we see the rest of the helmet from the side. I still think my two suggestions would serve better to make the head and helmet look like they're seen from the same angle...

paintscribble-over

Any an all misspellings are henceforth blamed on the cats.
Attachments:
The following user(s) said Thank You: cgmythology

01 Jul 2020 06:49 #29950 by cgmythology
Charlotte: Yep, you're completely right. I wanted to show more of a 3D look but it unfortunatly doesn't work given the profile view. I applied the changes, thanks for the sketchover much appreciated!

I worked on the image for quite some time, has come quite a long way. I refined it altogether and repainted the background to help it pop out some more, also began some detail and texture work. Here is the current progress:

Attachments:

01 Jul 2020 08:27 #29952 by Charlotte
She looks meeeaaaan! I never thought of Athena as mean :P But I love the colours and lighting so far! :)

08 Jul 2020 08:15 #30073 by cgmythology
Charlotte: The mean look is intentional... Wanted her to look like she's fighting in a war, so I tried to make her look like a bad bitch. Glad you dig the colors and light, lots of fun to work on!!

Did a significant amount of work with this update, reworked the lighting severely and did a ton of detail and texture work. I think it's pretty much finished, although I'm open to any final feedback!

Attachments:

08 Jul 2020 11:46 #30077 by Valence
Beautiful strong light! The intensity of that is really impressive.

There are two very minor things that I might tweak if I was painting it. First I'd reduce that suggestion of lashes on the lower eyelid. At first glance it makes it look like the eyes are closed, especially with the iris blending into the touch of glare. And second I'd use that bluish colour from the top right to just pick out a couple of details in the helmet to add some dimension within the shadow area.

Amazing work though, love the detailed stars too.

08 Jul 2020 14:13 #30078 by Charlotte
I think it looks lovely. The shaft of light is wonderful, though I'm uncertain if it's supposed to be from a light source like a window, in which case I'd expect it to widen away from the source, or from something shiny, like a sword (in which case it should perhaps be a bit narrower).

11 Jul 2020 13:42 #30109 by cgmythology
Valence: Thank you, the light was a lot of fun to tackle! Excellent input as well, incorporated everything you mentioned to the final image!

Charlotte: Thank you! The light source is supposed to be fantastical, just to give an impression of importance or a diety-like presence.

I finalized the image based on the very helpful feedback I received. I'm very happy with it overall. Here it is:

I started work on a new illustration, experimenting with a Fantasy theme one again. Spent a lot of time on the linework and I'm pretty satisfied with it. Figure referenced from imgur.com/a/bFCcpuBhere . Any feedback would be greatly appreciated as always!

Attachments:

11 Jul 2020 18:22 #30111 by Valence
Looks perfect now. Definitely one of the best ones you've done! :thumbup:

12 Jul 2020 08:18 #30123 by cgmythology
Valence: Thank you, that's a huge compliment, much appreciated! :)

I began the painting process on the current illustration, focused on colors and lighting here while avoiding any serious detail work. Overall I'm fairly pleased with how it's coming along at this stage:

Attachments: