April challenge - Banana for scale!

Deadline for entry:

March challenge Winner announced!

CGMythology's Sketchbook (nudity)

14 Jul 2020 03:52 #30150 by cgmythology
I resumed work on the image, spent a lot of time on it thus far and it's coming together quite well I think. The rock still needs a bit more work and I want to do some more color variations on the dragon as it's looking a bit monochromatic, but it's getting there! Feedback welcome as always :)

Attachments:

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

14 Jul 2020 07:18 #30152 by Charlotte
When I saw the first line drawing of this I felt maybe it looked a bit cliché - it reminded me of Vallejos paintings with her pose and the pointing finger... But once you started adding colours if definitely became your own.

Suggested improvements:
* Her pointing hand is almost all fingers. I think the hand itself should be a bit longer between bracelet and fingers, and also that we'd see a bit of the underside, making it a bit thicker (which would also help it not disappear into the dragon behind it).
* I would soften the transition between shoulder and upper arm on the pointing arm as it currently looks a bit like she has an arm coming out of her arm pit and another arm holding it in place (of which we only see the shoulder...)
* I would choose a warmer yellow for the dragon, especially where the light from the fire hits it. The current fairly cool yellow looks lit with a white light, not firelight.

Looking forward to seeing it finished :)

Any an all misspellings are henceforth blamed on the cats.

15 Jul 2020 01:36 #30161 by Digital Dave
Looking good on all the updates... I agree with Charlotte, the area just outside the armpit on her 'right' arm isn't reading well, and believe she makes a good point. Right now the contrasting shading has it sitting too far forward toward the viewing, and makes it look offset. But looking great...

I get sketchy around pencils! ...=D

16 Jul 2020 06:51 #30177 by cgmythology
Charlotte: Yes, it's a bit cliche I admit but I wanted to illustrate something classic fantasy, so that's a bit intentional on my part! Your advice was incredibly helpful, tried to apply as much as I could on the current update. Hope it works better now!!

Digital Dave: Thank you! I reworked the arm area a bit, hope it works better now!

I spent a ton of time on this new update based on the input I received. Reworked everything from the composition to the values and colors, and I feel the image is quite improved now. I think it's pretty much done, I will take time to do some final touches on it this weekend, so any input now would be incredibly helpful! Here is the current progress:

Attachments:

16 Jul 2020 09:45 #30178 by Charlotte
The arm looks much better, but I see no change in the hand. Regarding the values I think the yellow still looks too cool to fit well, but then the firelight should give cool shadows I guess... It's just hard to get cool shadows to look right on yellow colours in my experience. Also, the sky is a cool colour so maybe the shadows further from the fire should be warmer? Just a thought.

16 Jul 2020 19:07 - 16 Jul 2020 19:09 #30182 by Atto
Wow! The difference from the last post to this most recent one is like night and day.
The colour scheme is more mature(?) the sky is beautiful and the texture on the dragons wing is stunning!
Did you just photograph one as it flew overhead?

No smudge tool was harmed in the making of this image.

19 Jul 2020 05:24 #30205 by cgmythology
Charlotte: Thank you! I repainted the hand completely, I feel it works much better now. Also tweaked the colors a bit. Thanks for your input as always!

Atto: Thank you! I tried to push myself with the latest update so I'm glad it shows! I did in fact photograph a dragon which was a great help. It was hard to get him to pose but luckily he accepts bribes :D

And I'm calling this piece finished! Did the final detail and refining, fairly pleased with how it turned out overall. The feedback I received was insanely valuable, so thanks to all for taking the time to give me input, really appreciate it! Here is the final painting:

Attachments:

19 Jul 2020 07:28 #30206 by Charlotte
The hand looks much better now! :)
Looking forward to your next one! (Hey were's the sketch? You always post a new sketch with your finished image! :silly:)

19 Jul 2020 16:24 #30211 by Digital Dave
Haha... Like it's a coming attraction. :) Nice work, and the lighting look good.

I get sketchy around pencils! ...=D

28 Jul 2020 13:31 #30383 by cgmythology
Charlotte: Thank you, glad to hear it! And I see you caught my pattern :D I actually sketch a lot and have multiple sketches done of illustration I plan to paint, have 3 done so far. I'm proceeding with the one below!

Digital Dave: Thanks, much appreciated! Had a lot of fun with the lighting!

I began work on a new sketch, this time with a Sci-Fi theme. I was inspired by a www.deviantart.com/s-t-a-r-gazer/art/Sto...Art-6-746868754stock photo I found on DeviantArt, really digged the pose and design of the costume on the figure, so I did my best to recreate it. I tried to do something more original with the expression and especially the background to make it more interesting. Overall I'm very happy with the sketch, although I'd like to hear some input before beginning the painting process, so please feel free to offer any input! Here is the sketch:

Attachments: