April challenge - Banana for scale!

Deadline for entry:

March challenge Winner announced!

CGMythology's Sketchbook (nudity)

02 Feb 2020 09:43 #27703 by cgmythology
Valence: Thanks, I altered her hand a bit based on your input, hope it works better now!

I had the chance to add the final touches to the image, decided to go with a bright background set during the day as it felt more right for this sort of scene. Also messed with the shape of the text so it looks more natural now. I think I'm calling it done for now! Thanks to everyone for their input, always appreciate it. Here is the final image:

Will be taking a very long break from digital painting and will be focusing on improving my drawing skills, both digitally and traditionally. So I'll have a bunch of studies on anatomy and such shortly, going to study the legs first as I feel I can improve much in that regard.
Attachments:

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

02 Feb 2020 10:05 #27704 by Charlotte
How long is a very long break?
Though, I am looking forward to seeing your sketches and studies too!

Any an all misspellings are henceforth blamed on the cats.

04 Feb 2020 21:11 #27720 by Valence
I feel like I'm always one failure away from a VERY long break. :lol:

That final pic looks great. And I agree that the daytime background is a better choice and makes a lot more sense. :thumbup:
Can't wait to see the studies!

15 Mar 2020 14:46 #28258 by cgmythology
Charlotte: The break just ended !:D

Valence: LOL, you and me both :D Thank you, will try to post the studies asap!

Hope everyone is safe out there with the recent events! I took a break from some recent traditional leg studies I did, which I'll be posting in the near future, to start on a painting for a friend. I attached the finished sketch, please let me know any input you may have in mind before I begin the painting process!

Attachments:

15 Mar 2020 15:06 - 15 Mar 2020 15:07 #28259 by Charlotte
Glad it wasn't longer :)

My first thought seeing your sketch was that maybe the guy on the bike should lean slightly in the opposite direction of the bike, but... seeing how he's looking right, I'm guessing he's still turning in which case him leaning more than the bike makes sense...

So... it's the usual comment. Hands ;)
They don't look quite right (and also the fingers look like their different sizes between the two hands).
Most motorcyclists seem to wear black gloves (making it hard to see the fingers) but here's something showing approximately what the hands would look like:

The following user(s) said Thank You: cgmythology

15 Mar 2020 18:00 - 15 Mar 2020 18:01 #28261 by Valence
Looks good and I like the dynamic lean of the rider.
Personally, I'd think about either making the bike larger, or making the man smaller. I did a bike-riding picture a while back and afterwards I regretted not making the bike look bigger and heavier. But that may just be my personal choice. :shrug:

As for the hands... I obviously know nothing. :lol: But the one on the right "looks" like there's one finger too many although that may be a tangent with a background line. When doing the "fist holding something" pose I find it easier to draw the whole hand as a geometric block and gradually define the fingers later. But I still get them wrong doing it that way as well. :)

19 Mar 2020 10:16 #28308 by cgmythology
Charlotte: Some great input as always! I admit that the hands weren't well thought out (figured they would be easier to tackle painting) so I took some time to study your reference and updated it accordingly, hope they look more natural now!

Valence: Great suggestion. I made the center circle/light bigger so it looks more dynamic without having to rework it heavily. Updated the hands as well, hopefully for the better! :D

I worked on the sketch based on all the input I received, I'm very pleased with this update, I feel everything works much better now. The motorcycle and plane appear much more natural now hopefully! Here's the latest update on the sketch, feedback is welcome as always!

Attachments:

19 Mar 2020 11:17 #28309 by Charlotte

19 Mar 2020 14:34 #28315 by Banj
Your bike is very distorted. Elements that should be symmetrical on one side don't align with those on the other. The upper fairing is facing a different direction to the lower fairing making it look twisted.

Very quick rough scribblage...
Attachments:

30 Mar 2020 12:15 #28518 by cgmythology
Charlotte: :woohoo:

Banj: Thank you for that diagram/fix, just ridiculously helpful. I think the problem was that I rotated a bit before I had the chance to finalize the symmetry, which proved to be problematic. Just fixed the issues with your help, thanks again!

Been working on this image for the last few weeks, it has come quite a long way! Made a ton of changes based on the input I received. I think it's close to being finalized, don't want to overwork this one too much! Here is the current update:

Any input would be appreciated as always! :)
Attachments: