December challenge - A MARVELous Holiday Season

Deadline for entry:

November challenge - WINNER ANNOUNCED

CGMythology's Sketchbook (nudity)

15 Aug 2018 21:19 #21925 by Valence
Good job all round. :)

*applause*

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

25 Aug 2018 10:16 #21978 by cgmythology
Valence: Thank you, much appreciated! :)

I'm beginning work on a new illustration, exploring a sci-fi theme this time. I went for something a bit simple, but I want to play up the details during the painting process. Here's the sketch:

File Attachment:

Any feedback is always welcome as always!

25 Aug 2018 10:37 #21979 by Charlotte
Looks like a good start. Two things I'd look closer at: The shape at the back of her skull seems to be to one side, which would be clearer if we saw a bit of a corresponding shape on the other side. And her right eye looks like it's an empty socket, or concave - if it's a globe like ours, it should hide the corner that currently gives it a bit of a heart shape. There's no such corresponding corner on the other eye.

That said I can just picture this in your usual vibrant colours, though I'm curious to see exactly which colours you'll choose :)

Any an all misspellings are henceforth blamed on the cat.

25 Aug 2018 13:17 #21980 by Valence
I agree with Charlotte about the eyes. They both look a little too flat to me, a bit like the eyes on a Spiderman costume.
Just give them a bit of volume and it'll look fine.

15 Sep 2018 06:40 #22158 by cgmythology
Charlotte: Thanks! Great feedback regarding the eye as well, I revised the sketch a bit to fix the issue!

Valence: Agreed, fixed the issue; Hope it looks more natural now!!

I began painting the alien with magenta tones and didn't like the results, so I ended up repainting it again. The colors were very challenging in this piece, probably because I'm not used to painting Alien skin tones, so this was a welcome challenge. I worked on the image a great deal, pretty pleased with how it's turning out so far. Feedback welcome as always!

File Attachment:

15 Sep 2018 14:50 #22159 by Valence
The left side eye looks much more rounded now but the one on the right still has a bit of "flatness" too it.
I think it's because the transition line that divides the dark purple and the bright cyan is too straight. If you just bend it into a shallow "C" shaped curve then the form of the eye will push out more from the face.
The following user(s) said Thank You: cgmythology

16 Sep 2018 06:24 #22162 by cgmythology
Valence: Excellent feedback regarding the eye, I applied your input, I think it works much better now, thank you!

Current update, it's almost there! Going to take a small break from it then finalize it, want to push the detailing a bit more before I call it done:

File Attachment:

24 Nov 2018 13:29 #22870 by cgmythology
I just had the time to finalize the image; Worked more on defining shapes, details, and textures. I'm quite pleased with how it turned out, and it was a ton of fun working on an alien character, so I'll definitely explore this theme in the near future. Thanks again to everyone who helped me out with this image, very much appreciate it as always :)

File Attachment:

24 Nov 2018 14:37 #22871 by Valence
Looks good. Toning down those orange colours (especially in the ear) has given the character a subtle, more natural feel, making it much more believable. And I do like the extra brightness you brought to the stars with those diffraction spikes!
:thumbup: