October challenge - WITCHES - OPEN FOR ENTRY

Deadline for entry:

Queen of Soul(s) - WINNER ANNOUNCED

CGMythology's Sketchbook (nudity)

29 Jul 2018 08:54 #21803 by cgmythology
Charlotte: Thanks for taking the time to do the 'line-over', great help illustrating your point! Very useful; I implemented your input, hope it's improved now :)

Current progress, has come quite a long way but there's still a lot of work to be done:
File Attachment:

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

29 Jul 2018 13:46 - 29 Jul 2018 13:49 #21804 by Valence
Looks good. It's coming along great!

The hip area I mentioned before still looks a little flat and I'm not sure your ref can help you out because it's where the dress covers and creases. You'd probably be better off with a nude anatomical ref.
I had a google and found some here.

And I did a bit of a paint/line over to explain.

You want the form of the torso to shape inwards to the groin area so that the hip/buttock can recede behind to give the body more dimension.
I know this is really tricky with mermaids due to the fact they don't have legs or any groin area. :lol: But a bit more shaping and shading round there will make it work. Currently the strong outline of the hip is working against the form rather than helping to define it.
Attachments:
The following user(s) said Thank You: cgmythology

30 Jul 2018 11:29 #21814 by Banj
I think you should move your horizon up. Everything is making her look like a giant and that ship look tiny.

FAQ/Site guides: cgartnexus.com/index.php/help/faq

Feedback, suggestions, problems with the site ask here: cgartnexus.com/index.php/forums/suggestion-box
Attachments:

30 Jul 2018 11:40 #21815 by Banj
To illustrate further, what you are trying to achieve is like this photo:

But what you actually have is more like this:

FAQ/Site guides: cgartnexus.com/index.php/help/faq

Feedback, suggestions, problems with the site ask here: cgartnexus.com/index.php/forums/suggestion-box
Attachments:

05 Aug 2018 06:42 #21876 by cgmythology
Valence: Thanks! I refined the hip area a bit according to your input, I hope it's better now!

Banj: Great feedback, thanks for taking the time to do that, I think it works much better with the eye level higher as you illustrated. I updated the image with the new eye level.

Current progress, made changes to eye level/perspective and refined the figure heavily. I think it's a strong improvement over the previous version, although it has a long way to go:

File Attachment:

10 Aug 2018 13:42 #21898 by cgmythology
Found the time to work on the image some more, it's getting there! Want to give it another detail pass or two before I call it done:

File Attachment:

11 Aug 2018 12:55 #21903 by cgmythology
Worked on the image some more, it's almost there! Will have it finalized tomorrow, but please feel free to leave any final input, would be very much appreciated!

File Attachment:

11 Aug 2018 13:20 #21904 by Charlotte
A lot has happened since the last WIP :) I'm sure most things I could comment on are things you're still working on, and the "leggy tail" as I've mentioned before, is a thing of personal preference. I do think she could have some more shadow under her bum (on the rock) and I'm not entirely convinced by her hands yet, even if I can't put my finger (no pun intended but :lol:) on exactly what needs changing.

Also, Happy Birthday! :woohoo:

Any an all misspellings are henceforth blamed on the cat.

11 Aug 2018 23:18 #21907 by Valence
Is it everyone's birthday round here?
*looks for presents*
*disappointed sigh*
:lol:

At least the picture is looking fantastic. The girl looks so radiant now.
I'd be happy with it as it is, with maybe a little work on the ship and perhaps a change to the angle of one of those seagulls in the top right to break the look of "formation flying."
But it's looking ever closer to being finished!

14 Aug 2018 06:43 #21920 by cgmythology
Charlotte: Thanks for your input! I added the shadow and revised the hands a bit. Thank you for the birthday wishes as well, much appreciated :)

Valence: LOL it appears so :D I reworked the ship almost entirely as well, and revised the seagulls.

I revised the image some more and did some final detail work, I'm calling it done for now. I sent the image to my friend and she's very happy with it as well, so I consider the image a success in that regard. Thanks to everyone for taking the time to provide feedback, as there was a lot of things that weren't working in the beginning stages that were pointed out and corrected, so I'm very grateful for all the input I received! Below is the final image:

File Attachment: