April challenge - Banana for scale!

Deadline for entry:

March challenge Winner announced!

CGMythology's Sketchbook (nudity)

26 Jan 2019 09:39 #23557 by Charlotte
I really like those eyes - and even though the ref has similar eyes I like how she doesn't just look like a copy of the ref. A few things though...

The sword isn't straight. I've read somewhere that for straight items that pass behind something (like hands) you need to make them less straight to look right, but in this case the hilt and blade doesn't line up and I find it quite noticeable.

The hands could use small tweaks. The one holding the blade looks like it's being cut into by the sword on both your drawing and in the ref. I'm pretty sure someone who wants to keep their fingers wouldn't hold a sharp sword like that, but now that she does.... aligning the sword gives you a chance to make it not cut into her hand, so you can basically address two issues at once.

Finally I noticed her belt seem to disappear behind the sword? I don't know if that's the design but it looks odd...

As always, looking forward to seeing it coloured :)

Any an all misspellings are henceforth blamed on the cats.
Attachments:
The following user(s) said Thank You: cgmythology

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

26 Jan 2019 15:21 - 26 Jan 2019 15:21 #23558 by Atto
I think Charlottes crit is spot on (as it normally is). The only thing I could add is for some reason I always imagine Joan d’Arc with a shaven head, though I’m pretty sure that’s a pop culture/movie thing (I also always envisage her in muted blues and browns).
Your colour choices sound really interesting and I love the way you confidently use vibrant colours in your art.
Also looking forward to seeing this develop!

No smudge tool was harmed in the making of this image.

26 Jan 2019 16:18 #23560 by Charlotte
It makes me think of Joan of Arc too, but I'm guessing it isn't, actually :)
I noticed one more thing: the chainmail in her armpit would probably be more horizontal rather than following the opening?

26 Jan 2019 18:19 #23562 by Valence
Well everyone else seems to have spotted all the things that I always fail to spot in line drawings. :)
So I'll just comment on the one thing I did notice... that's a fantastic face!

27 Jan 2019 09:59 #23567 by cgmythology
Charlotte: Thank you! Your feedback is on point as always. I just updated the image and implemented your input, think it looks much more natural now!

Atto: Thank you! A shaven Joan of Arc doesn't appeal to me at all I have to admit, I always assumed she had short hair due to how she was often depicted in paintings. Glad you enjoy my color choices!

Charlotte: Yep, it is Joan of Arc although I took a lot of artistic liberties here to make it a bit more fantasy themed :)

Valence: Thanks! I tried my best to capture the eyes and expression of the reference model, so I'm glad you enjoy the results!

Photobucket is acting weird again so I wasn't able to upload yesterday's and today's updates, so I'm attaching them directly in the forum. The image has come quite a long way and I did my best to incorporate all the great input I received. I think I'm gonna go for a bit of a darker and grittier feel for this image as I think it'll make it more believable, so I added some battle scars on her face and will add dirt/rust/etc. on her armor and sword. Below is yesterday's update followed by the more recent one. Feel free to let me know any feedback as always!

Attachments:

27 Jan 2019 10:42 #23568 by Charlotte
ah :)
I remember Dave Brasgalla doing a series of Joan of Arc's and he'd done his research beforehand. He gave her short hair, so I'm pretty sure that's accurate :)

28 Jan 2019 05:05 #23582 by Yian
Looking really good!

29 Jan 2019 00:26 #23596 by Digital Dave
Looks nice and like the color choices. But I do get a slight cross-eyed appearance, which I think is from her Right eye? (Our left) But when zoomed in, I don't get it as much?

I get sketchy around pencils! ...=D

27 Feb 2019 05:24 - 27 Feb 2019 05:25 #23917 by cgmythology
Charlotte: Awesome, I prefer her with her short hair so it all works out :)

Yian: Thank you!

Digital Dave: Thanks, great point! I reworked the eyes a bit to get rid of that effect, I think it's OK now!

Attachments:

06 Jul 2019 17:04 #25273 by cgmythology
I just finished some fairly complex illustrations for a client, so I decided to take a bit of a break and paint something a bit more simple. I started on a portrait for a friend. I did my best to capture her likeness in the linework, and will hopefully be able to do her justice with the painting.

I'm going for a soft, ethereal feel to this one. It's not obvious yet as I'm working almost exclusively with hard edged brushes at this point, it's just easier for me to define form and lighting working this way. The light source is from the bottom, and I intentionally chose this as it's more challenging than the standard front or top light sources. Attached the final line work, and the beginning of the painting process, as well as the reference photo I'm referring to. Any input is always welcome and appreciated!

Attachments: