May challenge - Alien excavation

Deadline for entry:

April challenge Voting open!

Gaming

30 Mar 2023 09:29 #44970 by Charlotte
Replied by Charlotte on topic Gaming
:stare:

Any an all misspellings are henceforth blamed on the cats.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

30 Mar 2023 09:31 #44971 by Banj
Replied by Banj on topic Gaming
There are many games that would be ruined if that happened.

30 Mar 2023 09:33 #44972 by Charlotte
Probably, but I don't think I'm playing any of them :dry:

30 Mar 2023 09:47 #44973 by Banj
 Skyrim already has a quick save 

30 Mar 2023 09:56 #44974 by Charlotte
Exactly. As should all good and sensible games. :confident:

30 Mar 2023 10:06 #44975 by Banj
I don't remember if Sensible Soccer had a quick save 

30 Mar 2023 10:11 #44976 by Charlotte
Sports games aren't sensible. Nobody likes sports :nope:

30 Mar 2023 11:44 #44980 by Valence
Replied by Valence on topic Gaming

Nope.

Yes!
You're outvoted on this one. Or at the very least, if not a quicksave then an automatic Save And Quit.
I ended up playing that game for over two and a half hours last night, not because I chose to, not because I was enjoying it and not because I wanted one more go in an addictive way. Instead I HAD to keep going to the checkpoint just so that I didn't lose what I'd gained and waste all my previous effort.
This is my main gripe with the Souls-like/Metroidvania genre. It's not that they're difficult, it's that the entire gameplay loop revolves around wasting your time, with the checkpoint saves that are too far apart, the endlessly respawning enemies, the excessive level-gating forcing you to backtrack hours after you've left that area, the awkward, contrivedly confusing maps (if they even bother to have a map. Lords Of The Fallen doesn't. :eyeroll:)
It's all just a cheap way to make a small game seem bigger and longer than it really is and if you only have a specific amount of time to play a game (I sometimes have only 20 minutes to play something) then you can't guarantee that you'll be able to make any progress at all in that time no matter how well you play it.

Quicksave or Save And Quit! :stare:

30 Mar 2023 12:34 #44981 by Charlotte
:woohoo:
Well put!
*smug*

30 Mar 2023 13:03 #44982 by Banj
Don't know about souls-like, but the souls games themselves constantly save automatically and you can quit to the menu at any time, even during a boss fight you can quit and it will plop you outside the boss room when you reload.

I think the saving system should be down to the individual game and what it's trying to do. As I said, a number of games would be completely ruined with the ability to save at any time. Horror games like the original Resident Evils, Dead Space, and Alien Isolation would all be worse off with the ability to quick save as any tension would be completely removed with a casual tap of F5 every five seconds. Part of the gameplay in the Resident Evil games was the risk/reward aspect of deciding whether to keep hold of a ribbon for later, or use it in the typewriter you just found, and not knowing when you would be likely to find another. One of the most intense experiences I've ever had playing a game would be Dead Space 2 on hardcore mode* where you are restricted to a maximum of 3 saves for the entire playthrough. This was far more nerve-wracking than Dead Space 3's hardcore mode which allowed you to save any time along with automatic checkpoint saving, even though that was permadeath and deleted your save at the moment of death.

Not to mention multiplayer games (that's it, I'm not mentioning them).

*Dead Space 2 hardcore mode is the reason I have occasionally joked about the XBox being easy mode. Because the XBox had to swap discs half way through the game, they got an additional save point at the disc swap effectively making the game easier.