April challenge - Banana for scale!

Deadline for entry:

March challenge Winner announced!

Gaming

17 Aug 2020 18:22 - 17 Aug 2020 18:22 #30666 by Valence
Replied by Valence on topic Gaming
Damn, I thought that checkpoint was closer. :unsure:
Just got slaughtered by that teleporty baddie that stays in the distance, then I bled to death without knowing how to stop it. Should have bought bandages back at the base. I've corrected that and spent some of my currency which is definitely the scrap metal. :confident:
Managed to eventually defeat that ranged, teleporting fellow by running away and trapping him in a small room where I could bash him to death but then got killed again further on by a bigger thing with a swinging metal weapon.
And I'm still no nearer that checkpoint!

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

17 Aug 2020 22:18 #30668 by Charlotte
Replied by Charlotte on topic Gaming
:dry: I think I'll just stay at the base then.... Where do you buy bandages? I tried approaching that guy with a metal leg after he told me I could buy things from him and ... was it Ace? But nothing happened...

Also, in your screenshots from yesterday you seem to still have the 3 dragon heart charges. They're like healing potions, aren't they? Maybe I should use one before leaving the base.... If I recall my health was pretty low...

Any an all misspellings are henceforth blamed on the cats.

17 Aug 2020 22:53 - 17 Aug 2020 22:58 #30669 by Valence
I got the bandages from Reggie . There was another merchant there too that I didn't notice first time. He wore a mask and couldn't talk so wrote all his lines down. :) I think he sells armour/outfits.

I actually found it hard to use the dragon hearts during a fight. It takes a bit of time to reach back and get them out of your bag and I find myself getting hit again before I can heal. I have much better luck pressing F and using that weapon mod to heal but I think that option is dependent on the character pick at the start (the cowboy hat one.) The other characters may have a different "mods" that do other things. Maybe. :unsure:

Edit: Apparently you can buy them too.

18 Aug 2020 00:13 #30670 by Charlotte
Uhm, "Q" makes you open your backpack?
and yes for the mods. Can't recall what my first* one did but it was nothing I cared much for.

*and still only

*follows links*
ah, yes, I got the hunter's mark. So if I hit an enemy I can then see it through walls for like 20 seconds by which time either it or me is already dead anyway. Might be more useful in multiplayer...

18 Aug 2020 00:20 #30671 by Valence
No, I think Q is just the dragon healing thing but rather than happening immediately the character reaches into the backpack to get it out and I get killed while it's playing the animation. :P

It's a bit like Witcher 3 and the way Geralt cast spells ... very ... slowly. Just hurry up and do the thing! :)

18 Aug 2020 00:37 #30672 by Charlotte
ah... good to know. Don't use Q in a fight....

It's still too warm for me to focus on a game like that, though. I guess it'll have to wait until autumn or something... :dry:

18 Aug 2020 02:21 - 18 Aug 2020 02:25 #30673 by Valence

ah... good to know. Don't use Q in a fight....

Unless you're quicker than me.
And EVERYONE'S quicker than me. :dry:

Just made a crossbow in Ark. I didn't realise that it was almost twice as powerful as the bow. :dunno:
Or maybe I did know and had just forgotten.
So I used that to fire arrows at Trilobites. Still takes 2-3 hits from a close distance to kill them but I think I killed enough to now have all the resources for a Pteranodon saddle. But I can't make one yet cos I'm not quite at the level for the engram. I'm 35 and I think I need to be 38.
But the wait will give me chance to plan how to tame one! :)

That Carno is still stalking about on that Island. It's a little too close for comfort. I don't like looking at it from my hut with my tamed dinos and part of me wants to sail over there to get rid of it and test my crossbow skills. However I haven't died for a while now and I'd obviously like to keep that run going for the foreseeable future. :S

19 Aug 2020 02:42 - 19 Aug 2020 02:44 #30676 by Valence
Oof, that was a tough session on Ark.

First of all, I killed that Carno across the waters. I fired a couple of shots at it from the raft which tempted it into the wet stuff and they can't swim that fast so I picked it off from a distance and then dived in to hack at the meat/hide. :)

Then I went off in search of Pteranodons just to get a feel for the taming process. And where are those Pteranodons you may ask? Yes, I was asking it too. They've all disappeared now that I want one. :eyeroll:
So I circled around in the raft, back and forth along the coastline waiting for one to come and land. I was making sure to stay away from the deep waters, which can be difficult when you're sailing round in circles, but I was so successful at keeping away from the deep that I got my raft completely stuck on the beach. Couldn't move it at all, it just spun around on the spot.
So now my mobile base is just a ... base. And it's not even in a good spot. :rage:

I jumped off, jumped back on, tried various keypresses, tried running and pushing, logging out then in and jumping on again. :nope:
Looked on the internet and tried all the suggested tricks but.... :shrug:
Finally I found something that works. Open the console, type "ghost" and then it just passes through objects and terrain. Phew! :S
Back into the console to type "walk" in order to return things to normal, and we're off again. :pirate:

Where was I?
Ah, yes. Pteranodons. And is that one I see over there? Landing? Behind that rock?
I dashed over and saw that it was actually trapped in by some bigger rocks. This might be my chance! :woohoo:
I chucked a bola at it, punched it to unconsciousness, gave it a load of narcoberries and meat and waited....
Waited....
Still waited...
Taming still at 0% and the unconscious bar is going down pretty quick.
*punch* *punch* *punch*
That's better. :evil:
And after many a minute the taming jumped to... 12.5%

Wait. Punch. Wait. Punch.

25%

And.... Raptors!! :eek:
"VERY BAD SWEAR WORD!"

I ran and hacked, tried to block with the shield. Hacked some more. Tried to run them near a Brontosaurus to hopefully get some help but it didn't want to know and they were only interested in me. So... Dead.

And look at those nasty little things guarding my dead body and all of my loot. :angry:

Thankfully I did manage to sneak around the back to grab it all when they looked the other way and I made it back to my raft before they saw me, but I don't know what happened to the Pteranodon. I think I'd better try to find another one in a safer place closer to home. :)
Attachments:

19 Aug 2020 08:35 #30678 by Charlotte
no piranhas?

19 Aug 2020 11:50 - 19 Aug 2020 11:53 #30679 by Valence
My first angry encounter with a piranha was the previous night. I'd just got off the raft to chip at a rock and the music changed! :ohmy:
I looked above expecting the pickpockety bird, looked in the trees for Dilos or Raptors but no, it was the fishy biting at my feeties. :lol:
Just hopped back on the raft. :shrug:
I very rarely go IN the water so they haven't been an issue.

In the end I was quite pleased with my Pteranodon taming efforts. I think it'll all go fine when I find one in a safer place, it just takes a bit of time feeding it only meat. I should really have tried the other night cos there was a cool looking red one by the beach near the obelisk but I chickened out cos of the two Dilos there. It would have been easier to just clear them out and have the beach to myself. But Ark is great for hindsight. :)
I've also been thinking back to all the ways that I could have defeated the Raptors if I hadn't panicked. Could have used that spike wall I'd made to block them off considering the small space I was in behind that rock. But I'll try and learn for next time. :)

It was interesting to venture into the console to rescue that raft. I was looking through the list of commands and noted that there's a SaveWorld option. I'd heard there was but on it's own it's no better than the normal autosave that overwrites it on exit.
Then I saw that there's an OpenMap command.
Does this load in the previously saved game? :hmm:
I'm a bit too scared to try it cos I can't backup my GFN cloud saves and I've got a lot to lose. Internet searches are not helpful but if that IS a hidden save/load game option it would be really useful for the single player.