April challenge - Banana for scale!

Deadline for entry:

March challenge Winner announced!

Gaming

06 Aug 2020 08:06 #30530 by Charlotte
Replied by Charlotte on topic Gaming
Apparently Subnautica has had an update and among the fixes it says they've "Disabled managed code stripping for mod support". Does anyone here understand what that means in English? :dumb:

Any an all misspellings are henceforth blamed on the cats.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

06 Aug 2020 10:52 #30531 by Banj
Replied by Banj on topic Gaming
My interpretation after some quick Google-Fu is that Unity (which is what Subnautica is created with) has a feature called managed code stripping. Code stripping throws away what it considers unnecessary code to optimise the file size etc. but this can also throw away code that is referenced from outside (i.e. in third party mods), preventing them from working as they should. So the update switches that off. At least this is roughly what I think it all means, I'm not a coder or a Unity user. :confident: :unsure:

06 Aug 2020 11:30 #30532 by Charlotte
:dry: thanks. Though I still wonder if that means we won't have to reset the mod capability every time they update... In my limited experience the only thing it's done before is reset a small text file that enables or disables mods... Not affected the mods themselves. (Although all the mods have previously required updating to work, but I think that was after a major patch and I assume it's because of what the mods refer to in the game code rather than what is in the actual mods... uhm, do we have a "head spinning emoji"? I think I need one.)

07 Aug 2020 14:22 #30545 by Valence
Replied by Valence on topic Gaming

Geralt has a phone? :blink:

I think it's Keira's "phone" really, she does like to talk too much. :dry:
It's called a xeno-something and it doesn't seem to have a great signal either. If it really was a phone it wouldn't show many bars. :lol:

I was hoping to finish that quest last night but... :shrug:

Maybe tonight, if everything's still working.

07 Aug 2020 19:59 #30552 by Valence
My painting attempts today went very wrong so I switched to gaming and then found an easel in Enderal...

So I sat down and pretended that my painting had gone very well. :lol:

Quick switch to Skyrim and I'm STILL riding to Riften, even at night. Big Moon's nice enough though...

I don't think I'm too far away now and I may arrive during my next session. At least I beat the blood dragon on the second third sixth attempt. It was a bit easier with Arissa there. Last time we'd got separated after a fight with a big spider on a cliff so I went back to find her again so that she could offer a bit of help. Giving the dragon another target gave me a bit of extra time to fire some arrows and once it had crash landed I finished it off with a .... BASH! :pirate:
Attachments:

07 Aug 2020 21:09 #30553 by Charlotte
I tried to play Aven Colony again, but I'd forgotten pretty much anything so I started replaying the tutorial, and apart from the two first parts (holo-sims) the first "real" mission took forever and I got bored. I just needed to remember what the colony needed and in what order etc... :dry:

Maybe I'll try again, now. Or maybe I should watch the end of TNG season 1. *looks* Eh, no - there's two episodes left, not just one. So games or bed....:hmm:

07 Aug 2020 23:05 #30554 by Valence

Or maybe I should watch the end of TNG season 1.

At least you're past the worst of it now. :P
But I do recall some dodgy stop-motion animation at the end of that next episode. :lol:

07 Aug 2020 23:07 #30555 by Charlotte
:dry: I really don't get how you can recall each episode and where it is in the sequence of episodes etc, like you seem to do...

08 Aug 2020 17:22 #30558 by Valence
I did just binge-watch them a few weeks back. :P
And TNG is probably the TV show I've rewatched the most times. During the late 90s/early 2000s it was repeated endlessly on TV and I was always content to leave it on. :)

And returning to gaming... I managed to get a few Steam coins the other day and spent two of them on Sleeping Dogs just before the sale disappeared. I've almost bought it a few times before but chickened out cos it's only borderline playable on my PC. But it appeared on GFN the other week so now I can do some Kung Fu fighting in Hong Kong at a credible frame rate.

08 Aug 2020 17:26 #30560 by Charlotte
:dry:
...everybody was kung fu fighting... :whistle:

Now look what you did to my brain :stare: