April challenge - Banana for scale!

Deadline for entry:

March challenge Winner announced!

CGMythology's Sketchbook (nudity)

13 Aug 2023 13:45 #46658 by cgmythology
Charlotte:  Great point regarding the foot, just fixed it and I'll upload the image soon.  Glad you like the lighting!

Banj:  Great point!  I'm not used to drawing or painting snowy environments but I agree, I'll see if I can update it to fix that.  Great point regarding the axe as well, I will try to update it shortly.

Will rework the viking image soon, wanted to take a break from it to start on something new.  I started work on a new illustration depicting climate change, albeit with a fantasy vibe.  I went ahead with the color tests as well, I'm attempting to modernize my color work a bit, and I feel the last two are something that would work well in that regard.  So I guess it's between 'E' and 'F'.  Any input would be appreciated. General pose was referenced from  here . Below is the sketch followed by the color tests.  

Attachments:

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

13 Aug 2023 14:24 #46660 by Charlotte
Not really sure about this one.
One thing is that with her head in that position I think the tear in the nearest (to us) eye would run more to the left (with gravity),, alternately I guess it'd follow her cheek and run closer to the nose.
But it's the map that confuses me, visually. Is it supposed to be a current world map or one from ages ago? Because there seems to be land masses that don't exist today? It also doesn't seem to follow the shape of her head, most notably for S America over her chin. Also that little sliver at the bottom that I assume is Antartica seems a bit like it reached the end of the paper map... I'm thinking it might work better if the shape is integrated into a piece of clothing or jewellery or similar, maybe... Or just reshaped, not that I know the actual shape without looking it up. But it looks distorted, as I said, as if it's at the edge of a drawn map.

I also think the warm colour splotches on the cool skin looks.... splotchy. Not sure what you're aiming for, there.

Any an all misspellings are henceforth blamed on the cats.

28 Aug 2023 15:43 #46836 by cgmythology
Charlotte:  Great input, I'll take another look at the shape of the map shortly, and take into account your other feedback as well.  I should have another update on that image fairly soon!

I'm almost done with the 'climate' image, but decided to take a bit of a break from that to finalize the Viking illustration.  I went ahead and implemented the feedback I received, and consider it pretty much done at this point.... unless of course something major is off, so please let me know if that's the case!  Below is the current preview:

Attachments:

31 Aug 2023 11:34 - 31 Aug 2023 11:35 #46869 by cgmythology
Some final changes to the Viking image: 

I finally finished the painting process for the Climate image.  It started off fairly basic but I kept adding to it to make it more unique and creative.  Overall I'm fairly pleased with it.  Any final input would be most welcome as well!  

Attachments:

31 Aug 2023 12:18 #46871 by Banj
I like it, however those drips running from her eyes don't look like they are actually running from her eyes as they are both below the eyelids.

29 Sep 2023 15:30 - 29 Sep 2023 15:31 #47294 by cgmythology
Banj:  Thanks!  Might rework the drips in the future, a bit burned out from working on the last two to be honest but we will see!  Thanks for your input as always.

I've decided to move on to a new illustration as I got pretty burned out from the last two images and I wanted to do something fresh.  This is fan art of 'Nitara' based on the new 'Mortal Kombat' game, which Megan Fox plays as, so her likeness appears on the character.  The character design was quite complex so it took me some time to get right, but I'm fairly happy with the sketch.   The foot area gave me a lot of trouble so any suggestions in that regard especially would be appreciated... any feedback on the sketch would be appreciated actually, before I move on to color tests.  I have a lot of ideas for some possible color palettes so I'm very excited to begin work on that soon as well.  Below is the sketch!

Attachments:

29 Sep 2023 16:50 #47295 by Charlotte
You've chosen a really difficult pose and a character in a tricky costume. I've really tried to do a sketch-over but in the end one really can't see what I'm trying to do so I guess I'll just list what I perceive as problem areas.

1) Her metal corset can't twist or bend with the body and I don't really think it'd end up looking like it does in your image - specifically the two "wings" at the front should both be visible and closer together if you want to stay true to the costume (we only see one side in your image and that's "behind" her arm). I guess this one comes down to how close you want it to be to the original design.

2) The two bits of leather or fabric that comes down her front are unlikely to fall over the legs/thighs as they do in your image - again this is if you want to stay true to the game design. Personally I also don't like how they each end up behind one of her hands, so I'd let them fall between her legs, closer together and between or just under one of the hands.

3) The hands look stiff and odd. For the one she seems to be leaning against the surface she's kneeling on, I'd just suggest bending the fingers slightly to soften the look and make it look more natural. The other hand, I'm not even sure what it's doing to be honest. Is she leaning on that too? It doesn't look like it's touching the "ground". Is she reaching, casting a spell, what? It just looks odd to me but not knowing what she's doing I can't really say what should be changed.

4) And then there's her foot, the one you had trouble with. It's always difficult to make both feet and the heels of shoes look right in pretty much any angle, without good reference. But when I tried to sketch it I ended up with a smaller foot, where you see more of the curve along the side of the foot and much less of the heel. Remember that the heel of the shoe is placed under it, not behind it, like I think you may have drawn it. It might help to draw a naked foot first and add the seams of a boot and the sole and heels after.

Hope I made sense, and that it's helpful - I have a cat who doesn't want me to focus right now...

Any an all misspellings are henceforth blamed on the cats.
The following user(s) said Thank You: cgmythology

29 Sep 2023 17:11 #47297 by Banj
The foot is a tricky angle because feet in high heels are already angled and turned in perspective. I would draw the foot first, then add the shoe on top. Find some good reference to work from.

This is a quick attempt, and I'm not entirely certain this is correct.

Attachments:
The following user(s) said Thank You: cgmythology

30 Sep 2023 15:11 #47304 by cgmythology
Charlotte:  Great feedback!  I made some changes based on your input, and I feel the sketch is stronger as a result.  Hopefully things flow better now, let me know!

Banj:  Great input and I love your draw over, just incorporated to the image and things look more natural now, so thank you!

I updated the sketch and did some quick color tests.  Any input on either the sketch or the colors would be appreciated.  I'm leaning towards 'B' for the color palette, but I'll look at it with fresh eyes later, although suggestions would be great to hear on what works best!

Attachments:

27 Oct 2023 05:01 #47747 by cgmythology
I finished up the image, took a bit longer than expected due to the complexity of the character design... I also ended up adjusting the color palette several times but I'm fairly happy with how it turned out.  Below is the current preview followed by the steps for those interested.  There's still time to make adjustments if something major feels off, so please let me know!

Attachments: