April challenge - Banana for scale!

Deadline for entry:

March challenge Winner announced!

CGMythology's Sketchbook (nudity)

28 Dec 2023 04:15 #48561 by cgmythology
Charlotte:  Thank  you! Great suggestions as well.  Made some adjustments to the illustration based on your feedback.  Glad you dig the jewelry too! Hopefully you'll be able to use earrings again soon! :) Banj:  Thank you!  The Star Wars one was the fastest of the bunch and most simple, but it was fairly easy to get a realistic look due to the values.  I really dig the new Star Wars films so I'll definitely do more studies of them!  
 ..................... I finished up the painting process on the current image, took a lot of effort and my index finger is in pain from working so long... but I'm happy with how it turned out so hopefully it was worth it.  Below is the current preview followed by the steps for those interested.  As always, please let me know any input as there's still time to make some improvements if needed!

Next up I did some tweaking to the stone illustration, reworked some of the lighting a bit to make it appear more natural.    And finally a study of a movie still from 'The Last Jedi' which was quite fun.  Didn't want to overwork this one as I see no point, learned what I need to in regards to the light.  I'll do further studies soon as well, should be fun!     
Attachments:

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

31 Jan 2024 07:28 #49016 by cgmythology
I'm currently busy with my studies focusing on lighting, doing a lot of traditional studies as well in my sketchbook.  I'll try to post them when I have a significant number of them done, but right now I want to apply what I've been learning with a new illustration.  Below is a finished sketch of the 'All-New Captain America'.  I had a general reference for the pose (you can view it  here ) although I didn't want to be a complete slave to it, didn't just want to do a photo study for this one so I drew him as the new version and attempted something more dynamic with his pose.  Overall I'm fairly satisfied with it but I would love to hear any input before I apply color, so please let me know!

Attachments:

31 Jan 2024 11:10 #49018 by Charlotte
I can't help but feel like maybe the face is a bit skewed - like chin doesn't line up with nose which doesn't line up with glasses. And the glasses might be a bit "narrow" for his head.

Then again, speaking of glasses, I'm basically seeing double all the time, so I'm not sure I can be trusted in what I see, right now... :dry:

Any an all misspellings are henceforth blamed on the cats.
The following user(s) said Thank You: cgmythology

31 Jan 2024 18:11 #49027 by Valence
Yeah, I think most of the issues are with the glasses/visor. The centre point doesn't line up with the facial structure and the shape of the frame on left side doesn't match the shape on the right.

02 Feb 2024 05:19 #49052 by cgmythology
Charlotte:  You have a point, I think it's a bit skewed at the center of the goggles.  Made some changes hopefully it looks more natural now.  Thanks for your input as always!

Valence:  Yep I think you're right!  Made some changes hopefully it's OK now - please let me know!

I finalized the image.  The painting process went extremely smoothly thankfully, and I'm pretty happy with the image overall.  Of course there's still time for changes if necessary so if something feels off feel free to let me know!  Below is the current preview followed by the steps for those interested.

Attachments:

02 Feb 2024 13:03 #49055 by cgmythology
Started on a new sketch.  Wanted to draw something fairly simple to concentrate on dynamic lighting, so I went with a portrait of Poison Ivy from the Batman series.  I based the face on actress Scarlett Johansson and am very happy with the likeness I achieved.  Any feedback on the sketch would be most appreciated!   
Attachments:

08 Feb 2024 13:15 - 08 Feb 2024 18:38 #49118 by cgmythology
I updated the Captain America piece, basically revised the lighting a bit and added some darker shading to the face which made it look more natural.  I think I'm calling it finished for now unless something major is off!  

I went ahead and finished up the painting process for 'Poison Ivy'.  Pretty pleased with it.  Any final input on the image would be most appreciated!   

Here are the steps for those interested:     
Attachments:

08 Feb 2024 20:07 #49126 by Valence
Great work again.
The only thing that looks a bit off (and I didn't notice this in the sketch) is the forehead. It feels a little too small for this pose and angle and the edge of the hairline above seems a touch too hard.

Otherwise the detailing of the freckles and skin texture is fantastic, the foreshortened hands are something I wouldn't even be brave enough to attempt, never mind being able to finish them like this. Also I really like the choice of that vibrant magenta. It's an unexpected colour to see in this kind of portrait but it adds a magical intensity that really captures the gaze.

09 Feb 2024 02:14 #49127 by cgmythology
Valence:  Thank you!  I revised the hairline a bit based on your input, hopefully it looks more natural now.  

Glad you like the freckles, that's probably my favorite part of this image and I'm happy you like the magenta tones as well.  I don't usually work with those colors but I thought it would be quite fitting for the characters.  The hands were hard! I just revised them a bit further as I wasn't entirely happy with them previously, hopefully things look better now.  

Thanks for your kind words and feedback, very much appreciate it!

Made some changes to the image, refined the lighting coming from the 'magic' a bit to reflect on the skin for a more natural look and revised the hands further.  Hopefully it's better now, please let me know!  Here is the current update: 
Attachments:

11 Feb 2024 13:56 #49141 by cgmythology
I continued to do some lighting studies traditionally, will post them all at once when I have the time along with some movie still studies that I completed.  Right now I want to do one more illustration, this time featuring 'She-Hulk'.  I started on the sketch a very long time ago and re-visited it recently to improve it, and I'm fairly happy with how it turned out.  I had a reference for the general pose which you can view  here .  Below is the sketch, any feedback before I begin the painting process would be most appreciated! 

Attachments: