April challenge - Banana for scale!

Deadline for entry:

March challenge Winner announced!

CGMythology's Sketchbook (nudity)

08 Jul 2023 14:43 #46185 by Charlotte
I decided to try to illustrate my feelings about dragon feetsies. Mind you, I tend to think dragons should be bird or dinosaur like, so this is based on bird anatomy. 

But basically, birds can trail their legs behind when flying, but most of them will retract them under their body in flight. So basically I wouldn't expect three dragons flying about, all having their legs in the trailing position. And then human and bird legs have different proportions. For instance, at least the feet part of birds are basically just skin, bone and tendons. So I wouldn't expect a dragon's legs to be particularly fleshy, either. I made a little sketch, trying to illustrate this: 

I hope it helps explain what I meant about the legs looking human to me, though obviously you can choose to model dragons on different animals :)

Any an all misspellings are henceforth blamed on the cats.
Attachments:
The following user(s) said Thank You: cgmythology

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

09 Jul 2023 05:22 #46200 by cgmythology
Charlotte: LOL, great point!  And yes, I added another moon or planet to add to the fantasy vibe, I hope it works well enough!

Valence:  Indeed!  Interesting suggestion of the 'bats', that might be a good idea.  I'll keep that in mind next time I paint a dragon!

Charlotte: I agree that dragons should be similar to dinosaurs .  Great work on the sketches as well, I really like the first two in particular as they feel the most natural for a dragon.  I'll save it for future reference, thanks for taking the time to create that, very much appreciate it!

Time for a new illustration!  I'm back to 'fan art' mode, decided to draw Scorpion from the 'Mortal Kombat' series.  I'm sticking closely to his design in the upcoming game as well, and I feel I was fairly successful in capturing that design.  Below is the sketch, any input before I begin the painting process would be most appreciated!

Attachments:

14 Jul 2023 00:43 #46285 by cgmythology
Finished up the portrait, pretty pleased with it although I'll do my best to avoid symmetrical compositions in the future as I tend to overdo it I admit.  Below is a preview of the image, if something is majorly off please let me know as there's time to tweak it if necessary.  Also attached the steps for those interested - hope you dig it!

Attachments:

14 Jul 2023 09:46 #46286 by Charlotte
I'm not familiar at all with these characters (though I do remember having a hilarious time at a mortal kombat movie in the 90-ies where the audience consisted of me and a friend and three guys, two of whom were underaged and only allowed in because they had an older friend. They were probably terribly annoyed with my friend and me, as we were howling with laughhter finding pretty much everything quite ridiculous, though I really only remember a guy having long chains coming out of the palms of his hands.... that's what made us lose it...)

Anyway, I digress.... :) I have two issues with this one, but they're both relatively minor. I do think his hand looks a bit odd and stiff, so I tried a quick paintover (below). I also think that the lock of hair on one side and the blood on the other side of his forehead are too similar in both shape (inverted Y) and angle across the head - the pose is very symmetrical as is, and I think changing the lock of hair slightly would be an improvement (sketched a suggestion in the paintover), but like I said it's no biggie. 

Attachments:

14 Jul 2023 11:52 - 14 Jul 2023 11:54 #46287 by cgmythology
Charlotte:  'Mortal Kombat ' is a long running series that started in the 90s that's still very popular.  I think the character you described is 'Scorpion', in the movie version his chain game out of his hand.  The 90s movies were very cheesy, first was very good actually for it's time, but it's sequel was horrendous.I love what you did with your paintover as well, crazy how changing just a few minor things can really improve an image.  I went ahead and implemented all your input, and the image is all the better for it, so thanks for taking the time to do that!

Update on 'Scorpion', based on Charlotte's paintover.  I'm calling it finished for now!

Next up is a fan art of Spider-Woman.  For the pose I referenced one of Satine Zillah's reference packs, and am quite happy with it.  I'm pretty pleased with the sketch overall, but I'd like to hear any input on if something is off before I begin painting, so please let me know!  Here is the sketch: 

Attachments:

14 Jul 2023 12:34 #46288 by Banj
Her Right leg (our left) could do with moving over a touch. Her pelvis is rotated with the rest of her torso, so you pretty much have her leg connecting to her groin. This isn't perfect but it's a slightly better positioning I would say...

Attachments:

14 Jul 2023 12:40 - 14 Jul 2023 12:41 #46289 by Charlotte
Glad I could help.

For Spiderwoman I'm not entirely convinced by the placement of her right leg (to our left). It looks kind of like it centers/originates on the groin rather than her hip area... The arm that reaches for us might also need to grow a bit wider as it gets closer. As it is, it looks fairly slim all the way in spite of the size of the hand. (But that is always tricky to get right as the lower arm should be slimmer than the upper and that might negate the foreshortening effect a bit...)

And the buildings in the background look rather isometric. With such a forced perspective and foreshortening on the woman I would expect maybe a 3 point perspective on the buildings.

Edit: Right. What Banj said. Faster. :dry: 

15 Jul 2023 05:11 #46303 by cgmythology
Banj:  Excellent points!  Love what you did with your draw over and did my best to incorporate your feedback.  Thanks for taking the time to do that, really appreciate that!

Charlotte:  Great point about the anatomy, but hopefully it works better now with the latest update. Please let me know!   I skewed the perspective of the buildings a bit as well, hopefully it looks more natural now!

Did some changes to the linework based on the feedback received, and painted in the flat colors.  If something appears off please feel free to let me know (I have the sketch on its own layer so I can update it easily before moving on to serious shading if necessary!).

Attachments:

15 Jul 2023 12:55 #46304 by Charlotte

17 Jul 2023 15:47 #46328 by cgmythology
Charlotte

................I resumed work on the image and it's pretty much done.  I'm open to feedback if something is majorly off, so please feel free to let me know.  Below is the current progress followed by the steps for those interested.

Attachments: