April challenge - Banana for scale!

Deadline for entry:

March challenge Winner announced!

CGMythology's Sketchbook (nudity)

04 Nov 2023 17:25 #47846 by cgmythology
Time for a new personal illustration.  I was in the mood to draw a fairy, albeit with a simple character design as the previous image drove me crazy in that regard, so I'm giving myself a bit of a break by drawing something a bit more simple.  Below is the sketch, any feedback before I begin work on some color tests would be most appreciated! 
Attachments:

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

04 Nov 2023 18:07 #47850 by Valence
I think the foot needs a bit more definition, it's hard to tell which way it's facing at the moment. But I like the angle of this composition. The low viewpoint with the torso above us creates an interesting tension and mood.
The following user(s) said Thank You: cgmythology

05 Nov 2023 03:48 #47854 by cgmythology
Valence:  Thanks!  I defined the foot a bit more as well, great call!

I did some minor changes to the line work and did a series of quick color tests.  I have a few favorites and it's gonna be hard to decide which one to develop, so I'd love to hear any input in that regard!  Below are the color tests:

Attachments:

05 Nov 2023 10:08 #47855 by Charlotte
Since I tend to associate faeries with green, I'd go for F personally :)

Any an all misspellings are henceforth blamed on the cats.

11 Nov 2023 15:46 - 11 Nov 2023 15:48 #47916 by cgmythology
Charlotte:  Great suggestion!  I went with F as a starting point although I significantly darkened the palette as I went along.  Hopefully that was the right choice!

Below is the final followed by some steps.  The image is pretty much finalized but I'll consider making changes if something major feels off, so please let me know!  

Next up is a new sketch.  This will be a gift for two fellow artists I admired since I was a teenager - Henning Ludvigsen and Natascha Roosli;  in fact they're work was my introduction to digital painting, and I learned quite a great deal from their work and tutorials so I thought I would paint them as fantasy characters as a gift for Christmas.   

For the poses I had a reference from Satine Zillah that I bought from ArtStation that I did my best to recreate while coming up with my own original character designs.  You can see in the sketch I've included some magical powers forming a 'heart' - I didn't want this to be too blatant, for an easter egg but I feel it work well compositionally.   

I have some ideas for the colors, want something light, bright, and colorful but before I work on the color tests I would love to hear any input on the sketch as I'd like to get it as good as possible before complicating the image with colors, so any feedback would be great appreciated!  Here is the sketch: 

Attachments:

11 Nov 2023 16:16 #47918 by Valence
I think the torso of the woman in the sketch is a bit short and as a result her neck looks very long. I'd just select everything between her belly button and neck and nudge it all up a bit. Also her right foot looks rather twisted relative to the knee. It needs to rotate and point towards us a little more.

And I love the lighting on the finished fairy pic. The distant planet is a lovely little detail too. :)

11 Nov 2023 16:40 #47920 by Charlotte
And I think you should take another look at mr Ludvigsen's legs... In spite of the foot further away being higher the knee on that leg is significantly lower and there seems to be no bending or extreme perspective or such to explain this.

The faerie turned out well, and reminds me of old timey pin-ups with those soft locks on her head :)

16 Nov 2023 11:42 - 16 Nov 2023 11:42 #47973 by cgmythology
Valence:  Great points on both issues, just fixed them.  Glad to hear you enjoy the fairy piece as well, had a blast with that one!

Charlotte:  Good point regarding the legs, just fixed the issue.  The pin up look is something I enjoyed creating, so I'm glad it gives off that vibe!

And the painting process is finished... for now at least.  Below is the final image followed by the steps for those interested.  If anything feels off please let me know as I have no issue making minor adjustments if needed.

Next up is a sketch I started a while ago.  The figure was referenced from Grafit I believe, wanted to challenge myself drawing and painting complex folds.  Trying to achieve a 'Game of Thrones' look with this one, and I feel I was quite successful in that regard.  Any feedback on the sketch before I begin work on the color tests would be most appreciated!

Attachments:

16 Nov 2023 11:53 #47974 by Charlotte
I've always avoided the actual throne from game of thrones - all those swords seem too much work for me :P

That said, the only crit I have at this point is the eyes of the dragon. Them being so different makes it look a bit crazy... (It's how cartoons show characters are crazy, after all.)

19 Nov 2023 17:37 - 20 Nov 2023 02:13 #48014 by cgmythology
Charlotte:  LOL yeah I know what you mean, the swords can be a bit of an overkill.  Great point about the eyes, I did that intentionally to avoid it being completely symmetrical but it didn't work out as well as I hoped.  I now made both eyes the same size so it looks more natural now, thanks!

I finished work on the current image.  The painting process went extremely smooth as I got the colors early on as I wanted them, and was very careful with my value work at the beginning stages which ultimately lead to a very smooth painting experience.  I'm quite pleased with how it turned out, but I'd love hear any input so if something feels off please feel free to let me know!  Below is the image followed by the steps for those interested: 

Attachments: