April challenge - Banana for scale!

Deadline for entry:

March challenge Winner announced!

CGMythology's Sketchbook (nudity)

11 Feb 2024 15:19 #49143 by Banj
The arm at the top is different from your ref image which makes it look strangely positioned. the ref models forearm is angled away from us, while you have drawn it continuing to the side. The lower leg does something similar with the ref models calf pointing away, while yours is more side on leaving the foot looking twisted awkwardly. 
The following user(s) said Thank You: cgmythology

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

17 Feb 2024 00:42 #49229 by cgmythology
Banj: Great input!  Made some changes to the line work to make it more dynamic, hopefully it works better now!

Thanks for the feedback on She-Hulk everyone, was able to improve and finalize the image.  There's still time to update it further if needed, so if something feels off please feel free to let me know!  Below is the current preview followed by the steps for those interested:

Attachments:

25 Feb 2024 09:52 #49299 by cgmythology
Have lots of updates today, it will require multiple posts since I'm limited to how many images I'm allowed to post.  First are some traditional sketches I drew, some on gray toned paper as well which I absolutely love!  I'll definitely be experimenting more with this format. I haven't drawn traditionally in over a decade believe it or not, but I adjust fairly well I think.  These are just basic studies on lighting to help me improve and understand light and shadow better:

More on my next post!

Attachments:

25 Feb 2024 09:53 #49300 by cgmythology

Attachments:

25 Feb 2024 09:57 #49301 by cgmythology

Next are some digital speedpaints/studies from various movies:

Finally I did another update on She-Hulk as I felt it could be improved:

And that'll be all for now, sorry for the multiple posts!

I'll continue working on lighting studies both traditionally and digitally as I'm learning an immense amount as well.

Attachments:

25 Feb 2024 12:24 #49302 by Valence
Lots of good work here.
Congratulations on having so much more motivation than ...erm... me! :lol:
Love the movie studies too. Especially the Avengers one with the strong silhouette and the framed light from outside. That one really catches the eye. :aha:
The following user(s) said Thank You: cgmythology

14 Mar 2024 09:26 - 14 Mar 2024 13:40 #49535 by cgmythology
Valence:  Thank you! Glad you dig the Avengers one, that was my personal favorite from the set as well! :)

I went ahead and continued my studies, this time digitally, although I'll go back again to traditional studies again shortly.  First up are some simple shapes painted from reference.  The cube is based on a photo reference (from geoartref.com specifically), and the rest are based on some quick scenes I rendered in Poser Pro with the primitive shapes tool.  

Also did two movie still studies, didn't spend too much time on refining these as usual... just want to learn what I can in regards to light and shadow and go on to the next one: 

Next up I revisited an older painting based on Robert Chang's feedback on lighting, hopefully things look more natural now!

Next I revised the She-Hulk image.  I think I took it as far as I could, so if nothing major feels off then I guess it's good to go, please feel free to let me know! 

Attachments:

14 Mar 2024 09:28 #49536 by cgmythology
And finally I got to illustrate a Tarot Card for a client, the '7 of Wands' card specifically.   I was asked to have a female Viking defending herself with a torch against 6 figures also carrying torches.  I spent a lot of time on this one as I also thought it would make for a strong portfolio piece, so any final input on what can be improved would be greatly appreciated!  Below is the current image followed by the steps for those interested.  

Attachments:

15 Mar 2024 09:58 #49559 by cgmythology
I  revised the lighting further, made the flames brighter and added some bounced light coming to the figures from the torches.  Hopefully things look more natural now!

Attachments:

23 Mar 2024 02:51 - 23 Mar 2024 02:58 #49672 by cgmythology
I decided to combine a new illustration with a study on lighting to slow things down.  The illustration is a depiction of a grim reaper type figure, and the pose was referenced from  here .  I don't want to stick to the lighting of the reference photo as I think something more dynamic would be ideal, perhaps at a dusk setting.  

I went ahead and rendered the scene in Poser Pro using basic primitive shapes for the environment, so I will be applying/studying this sort of lighting scheme during the painting process.  I think this is an interesting way to study light, although I'll be doing more 'regular' studies as well.   

Below is the sketch followed by the render.  Any feedback on the sketch before I begin painting it in would be most appreciated!

Attachments: