April challenge - Banana for scale!

Deadline for entry:

March challenge Winner announced!

CGMythology's Sketchbook (nudity)

17 Jul 2023 17:41 #46330 by Charlotte
Looking good for the most part but the shading on the boobs - especially her right - makes it look like she's got a horisontal edge on them... :dry: (in the wip steps the shading looks more natural and the shape more rounded)

Any an all misspellings are henceforth blamed on the cats.
The following user(s) said Thank You: cgmythology

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

20 Jul 2023 16:00 #46378 by cgmythology
Charlotte:  Good point!  Went ahead and refined the boobs, hopefully they look more natural now. 

Some final tweaks on the image based on the input I received.  I'm calling this image done for now as I've already moved on to something else - thanks again to everyone who took the time to offer feedback as always! Here is the final image:  
 Next up I began work on a new sketch.  I wanted to explore an archer again as they're usually fun for me to draw, and I wanted emphasize the environment here as to ground the figure more.  I'm very pleased with the sketch, but any feedback before I begin work on some color tests would be greatly appreciated!

Attachments:

20 Jul 2023 16:30 #46380 by Charlotte
Looking at your new sketch, I am not sure where your eye-level/horizon line is supposed to be? We see the floor from above, the soles of her feet from straight on and her ankles (and everything above them) from below.

If our eye level is somewhere around the tiger's eye level (and ignoring the woman, it seems it might be) her legs need to be adjusted from about mid-thigh down.

21 Jul 2023 14:55 #46403 by cgmythology
Charlotte:  Great point, just fixed the issue!

I went ahead and updated the sketch to fix some of the placement and perspective issues, hopefully the figure looks more grounded as well.  I did some quick color tests.  My favorite is 'F' simply because it gives off the vibe I'm looking for.  Additionally, I never used a palette like that so I thought it would be a fun challenge, so I'll be going with that!

Attachments:

23 Jul 2023 17:28 - 23 Jul 2023 17:29 #46439 by cgmythology
I finished up the illustration, although I'm open to updating the image should there be anything majorly off.  Below is the illustration followed by the steps for those interested.

Next up I started on a new image, 'Captain Marvel'.  Wanted to paint her since I saw the movie a few years ago.  I had a reference of a cosplay photo which was helpful for the general pose which you can view  here , so I tried to stay true to that general pose while not being too slavish too it, I hope.  

Below is the sketch, any input would be greatly appreciated before I move on to some color tests!

Attachments:

24 Jul 2023 07:48 - 24 Jul 2023 07:49 #46440 by cgmythology
Final update for the 'archer', incorporated some more dynamic lighting and did some tweaking here and there to improve the image: 

Next up I did some quick color tests for the new 'Captain Marvel' piece.  My favorites are 'D' 'F' and 'A'.  Not sure which one I'll end up going with, I'll probably take another look later to decide but I'm open to suggestions, so please feel free to let me know what works best! 

Attachments:

24 Jul 2023 08:28 #46441 by Charlotte
For the archer, I just noticed that the glow from the tiger makes it look as if her feet don't touch the ground. I think you need to remove the blue-green light/tint beneath her feet, so she looks more grounded :)

26 Jul 2023 04:19 #46450 by cgmythology
Charlotte:  Excellent point regarding the glow, just removed it and will upload an updated version on my website soon, thank you for that!

I went ahead and finished up the Captain Marvel image, although I'm open to suggestions if something feels off.  Below is the current preview followed by the steps for those interested:

Attachments:

26 Jul 2023 08:24 #46451 by cgmythology
Time for a new illustration!  I want to paint something within my comfort zone as well as painting armor in general, so I sketches out this portrait based on one of Howard Lyon's reference packs.  Overall I'm quite pleased with the sketch, and I think I'll proceed with some color tests shortly - although if something feels off at this stage please feel free to let me know! Below is the sketch:

Attachments:

26 Jul 2023 09:00 #46452 by cgmythology
Finished up the color tests.  I think I'll go with 'E' as it's the closest to what I have envisioned from the start, and it also pops the most!   
Attachments: