April challenge - Banana for scale!

Deadline for entry:

March challenge Winner announced!

CGMythology's Sketchbook (nudity)

19 Feb 2023 06:13 #44486 by cgmythology
Charlotte:  Great input!  I lowered the opacity of the 'window' light to give it a more natural look, I think that did the trick!  As for the bricks, I wanted something a bit more random to give the scene a feel of chaos.  I feel it works well enough for now.  

Great input on the new image as well!  I think the main problem is I drew her waist a bit too high making the arms appear long, I just the fixed the issue and did some other improvements to the sketch. Great point regarding the necklace as well, just updated it.  Thanks again!

Banj:  Excellent point regarding the helmet, just rectified that.  Revised the columns as well for a more natural look.  Also fixed the said tangents, great feedback!

Here is a minor update on the previous image, just lowered the opacity of the light on the background for a more natural look.  I think I'm calling this one done now unless something major is off!

I updated the sketch on the new image, reworked the anatomy a bit as well as updating the structured in the background, I feel it works much better now.  Next I did some color tests.  My favorites are A, C, and E.  Might combine elements from each that work the best and go from there I think, although I'm open to suggestions.  Below is the updated sketch for the sake of clarity followed by the said color tests:

Attachments:

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

19 Feb 2023 11:36 #44487 by Charlotte
I'm thinking a clear blue sky and sunny weather might be a bit at odds with the mood you want to convey with her being upset and crying. So personally I'd probably opt for C, with the more subdued background. The warm glow back there can also be construed as coming from fires instead of the dawn/sunset so at this early point it gives a bit more options. I'd probably still choose the less saturated colour on her dress from A or F, though.

Any an all misspellings are henceforth blamed on the cats.
The following user(s) said Thank You: cgmythology

20 Feb 2023 18:03 #44533 by cgmythology
Charlotte:  Great input, I agree with developing 'C'.  Added some more desaturated tones on the shadowed side to give it a more natural look, hopefully it's an improvement!

I went with C and continued to paint it in.  Having a lot of fun with this one.  The lighting on the figure was fairly challenging but I feel it works quite well.  I had the shadows on the skin a bit too dark initially but I feel I've corrected that.  Still has some ways to go, any input at this stage would be appreciated as always.  

Attachments:

27 Feb 2023 16:58 #44612 by cgmythology
I finished up the painting process for Helen Of Troy, did my best to incorporate the feedback mentioned.  Also went for something a bit more desaturated for the colors to add to the mood and hopefully create a more natural look.  I'm open to feedback as well, so if something is really off please feel free to let me know!  Below is the illustrations followed by some steps for those interested!

Attachments:

04 Mar 2023 11:41 #44697 by cgmythology
Decided to rework the image a bit as there was some room for improvement, hopefully it works better now.  I think I'm calling it finished unless something major is really off, so please let me know!  Below is the update.

Attachments:

18 Mar 2023 01:23 #44877 by cgmythology
And time for a new illustration!  I started on this sketch a while ago, was going for an 'Assassin's Creed' vibe with this one.  This particular character doesn't exist within the universe, but I wanted the character design to feel like it fits in that series if that makes sense.  The general pose was referenced from a stock photo I found  here , I felt it was very dynamic so I tried my best to recreate it while coming up with a character design for the figure.  Any feedback before I begin on some color tests would be most appreciated as always! 

Attachments:

18 Mar 2023 10:18 #44878 by Charlotte
I like the female figure but I'm not sure the building she's jumping from and the one in the back share the same vertical perspective.... Actually I'm not sure even the towers in the background are following the same perspective between the bottom and top parts... I think it might need a bit more work.

Any an all misspellings are henceforth blamed on the cats.
The following user(s) said Thank You: cgmythology

23 Mar 2023 13:57 #44916 by cgmythology
Chrarlotte:  Thank you!  Great point regarding the perspective of the background, updated it and hopefully the issue is fixed!

Here's an updated sketch, I wanted the figure to be more dynamic so hopefully this is an improvement.  I'll work on some color tests shortly but I'm open to feedback if something is majorly off, so please let me know!

Attachments:

04 Apr 2023 03:44 #45063 by cgmythology
I did some changes to the sketch, tried to make the cape more natural looking and fixed some perspective issues.  I went ahead and began the painting process, I'm quite happy with how it's turning out so far.  It still has a long way to go, but if something is majorly off please feel free to let me know!  Below is the current progress:

Attachments:

27 Apr 2023 01:47 #45354 by cgmythology
Took a small break as I had several bad experiences with burnout earlier this year, so I'm trying to take it a bit easy.  With that said, I found the time to resume work on the image and pretty much finalized it.  I'm open to any input as well, so if something feels off please let me know.  Below is the final followed by some steps, hope you dig it! 

Attachments: