April challenge - Banana for scale!

Deadline for entry:

March challenge Winner announced!

CGMythology's Sketchbook (nudity)

07 Jan 2023 15:24 #43839 by cgmythology
Valence:  Great points!  Just fixed the issue, thanks for your input!

I resumed work on the painting and I'd say it's pretty much done.  Implemented all the feedback I received and the image is all the better for it I hope!  As always, please feel free to let me know if there's anything that feels off as there's still time for changes! Below is the image followed by the steps for those interested.

Attachments:

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

08 Jan 2023 05:46 #43860 by cgmythology
I did some minor revisions to the image, added some subtle contrast in the background and added a gold 'rim' on the shoulder area as suggested to separate the fur more. 

...............Next I finished up a sketch depicting 'Apollo and Daphne' from Greek Mythology.  The figures were referenced from  Satine Zillah's  awesome reference photography.  I'm trying to go with a classical feel for this one, hopefully I can pull it off!  Any feedback before I begin work on some color tests would be appreciated as always! 
Attachments:

08 Jan 2023 10:34 #43862 by Charlotte
Honestly, given that she became a tree in order to escape Apollo's attention, I think maybe the pose is a bit too suggestive of something where she's not a willing participant...

Any an all misspellings are henceforth blamed on the cats.
The following user(s) said Thank You: cgmythology

08 Jan 2023 13:54 #43863 by cgmythology
Charlotte:  Good point, I think if I move her left leg down a bit that would help but that would make the poses less dynamic, so I think I'll keep it as is for now unless it proved to be too problematic. 

.............Went ahead and did some color tests.  My favorites are D and F, so I'll probably develop one of those two.  Please feel free to let me know what you feel works best however as I will take it into consideration! 

Attachments:

08 Jan 2023 14:45 #43864 by Charlotte
Maybe you could put both of his legs in front of her...

Any an all misspellings are henceforth blamed on the cats.

08 Jan 2023 19:08 #43866 by cgmythology
Charlotte:  Yep, I think I'll do that as that's a fairly simple fix, thank you!

..........I decided to go with 'D' and developed it further.  Still has a long way to go but I'm fairly happy with how it's shaping up.  The skin/bark will be a bit tricky, I want it to look very organic and as 'natural' as possible all things considered.  Here is the current progress:

Attachments:

08 Jan 2023 19:23 #43867 by Digital Dave
Nice updates, CG. Good to see you still going strong with your artwork...

I get sketchy around pencils! ...=D

14 Jan 2023 17:30 #43952 by cgmythology
DigitalDave:  Thank you, always great to hear from you!  Hope you're doing well! ..................... And the image image is finished!  Of course there's still time for changes if something is really off, but I'm very pleased with it overall.  Here is the final followed by the steps for those interested:

.................... Next up I started a new sketch, something of a cross between the God of the Sun and the God of Fire.  Portraits are comfort food for me and I haven't done one in a bit, so I'm excited to get started on this one.  Before I begin working on some color tests, I'd greatly appreciate any feedback on the sketch as I want to make sure it's OK before dedicating color to it, so please let me know!

Attachments:

14 Jan 2023 19:00 #43953 by cgmythology
I did some color tests for 'Helios', my two personal favorites are E and F.  I'm torn between the two to be honest so I'd love to hear everyone's input on what works best, so please let me know!

Attachments:

14 Jan 2023 19:35 #43954 by Valence
The tangent of the flame touching the bottom lip looks a bit awkward. Either overlap them or leave a bit of space between those edges.