April challenge - Banana for scale!

Deadline for entry:

March challenge Winner announced!

CGMythology's Sketchbook (nudity)

25 Jan 2023 03:39 #44121 by cgmythology
I fixed some perspective issues, and ended up going with 'F'.  Here is the current progress, it's still fairly early but I'm happy with how it's shaping up! 
Attachments:

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

25 Jan 2023 15:00 #44126 by Valence
Looks good so far.
The only thing that catches my eye is the way that the "spokes" of the circular window frame don't quite align with each other or with the centre of the circle.
Oh, and I've just noticed that the book on the near left doesn't seem to lay flat at the far corner.

27 Jan 2023 07:41 #44152 by cgmythology
Valence:  Thanks!  I revised the circular frame a bit, hopefully it looks more natural now.  Which book are you referring to btw?  The one on the stand in the front left of the image?  I think it should look better now with proper shading but please let me know!

And the image is done! Had a blast with this one, lots of fun with the colors especially.  Any final feedback on the image would be most appreciated as always.  Below is the current image followed by the steps for those interested.

Attachments:

29 Jan 2023 06:42 #44195 by cgmythology
Some updates! I plan on recording a process video focused on drawing and painting a digital portrait in Photoshop, so I picked up some free software to experiment with it and get as comfortable with it as possible.  Things went very smoothly surprisingly, I was able to record with no lag whatsoever which is always a plus. I recorded a fairly basic video of sketching a face in Photoshop from reference and uploaded it to my YouTube channel for free, you can go to it by following this  link . Additionally, you can purchase a higher quality version on my  Gumroad  here for $1 - I was unable to offer for free due to it's file size, so I apologize in that regard! Here is the finished sketch for the said video - I'm not planning on painting it at the moment.
    Now time for a new illustration!  I'm back in Fan Art mode.  Drawing superheroes is an excellent way for me to make serious study of anatomy, particularly on the muscle groups so I will be doing lots of these.  I chose Spider-Man to illustrate as I always wanted to illustrate that character for years now, and I now have the confidence to pull it off I hope!  Below is the sketch, any feedback before I begin the painting process would be most appreciated!

Attachments:

29 Jan 2023 15:53 #44198 by cgmythology
I finished up some color tests.  I think most of them work quite well, but 'F' is the one that appeals to me the most... just looks more natural compared to the rest with some interesting colors.  I'm open to suggestions however so please feel free to let me know what you feel works best!

Attachments:

29 Jan 2023 17:09 #44199 by Charlotte
I think he looks a little off balance. The coloration of his left arm (to our left, that is) makes it look very skinny which might confuse the eyes, but I think maybe if you tilted his head "up" a bit (made the face more vertical) it would restore some balance?

Colour-wise I'd probably go with F too, but perhaps with one of the more red reds. So to speak. The pinkish tone in F makes him look a little washed out.

Any an all misspellings are henceforth blamed on the cats.
The following user(s) said Thank You: cgmythology

30 Jan 2023 09:54 #44206 by cgmythology
Charlotte:  Excellent point regarding the balancing, I agree!  I made the change you suggested and it does indeed work much better.  Regarding the arm, I forgot to paint in the blue part of the arm hence the skinny look, just finished correcting that as well.  I ended up going with F as suggested, I'll probably apply more saturation to the costume as I go along.  Thanks for your input as always!

I developed 'F' further, it's come quite a way and the painting process is going very smoothly.  I'll refine it further and further, should be fun bringing more details in.  Here is the current progress:

Attachments:

04 Feb 2023 14:37 #44273 by cgmythology
The image is finished!  Below is the final followed by the steps for those interested.  Of course there's still time for some tweaking if necessary, so please let me know if something looks off!

..................... Next up I wanted to continue with the superhero theme as it really helps me practice anatomy, specifically the muscle groups which I feel I've been improving on significantly.  Here is a sketch of Venom I completed, would love to hear any input before I begin work on some color tests!   
Attachments:

04 Feb 2023 19:05 #44283 by cgmythology
Here's another update on Spider-Man, refined the blue on his costume for a more saturated look and did some refining here and there:

Next up I did some quick color tests for Venom. I think B and C work best (colors for B, values for C) so I'll probably combine both, but I'm open to suggestions!

04 Feb 2023 19:05 #44284 by cgmythology
Here's another update on Spider-Man, refined the blue on his costume for a more saturated look and did some refining here and there:

Next up I did some quick color tests for Venom. I think B and C work best (colors for B, values for C) so I'll probably combine both, but I'm open to suggestions!

Attachments: