April challenge - Banana for scale!

Deadline for entry:

March challenge Winner announced!

Gaming

25 Apr 2020 13:32 - 25 Apr 2020 13:35 #28765 by Valence
Replied by Valence on topic Gaming
Well I got absolutely annihilated in Guild Wars last night!
After going so long without too many deaths it was a bit of a shock to have a session where I lost count of waypoints and "fighting for life" button bashing.
First it was a random eagle monster (I wasn't even in a quest/event), then some boar hunting north of the grog monastery and eventually the story quest taking on a gang in a tavern/inn. But the worst one was an event with some kind of bandit outlaw chap on the run. He was the same level as me so I thought that'd be a good (and safe) one to join but despite that he had some crazy attack moves that kept downing me with a single blow/shot. I just could not handle it. And I'm not sure any others could too because all the other players seemed to disappear pretty quick as well.
It was a harsh lesson and one in which I learnt very little. :P

Oh, and I went into my inventory to check my coins and I have.... zero. :blink: Nothing at all. I'm as poor as a poor person can be. :lol:
So it seems that waypoints take your money if you have any and if you don't then they just let you off with a freebie. ;)

Next time I may switch back to my glow-in-the-dark ranger to see if I can survive a bit longer. If I can remember where she is. :dry:

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

25 Apr 2020 14:11 - 25 Apr 2020 14:14 #28767 by Charlotte
Replied by Charlotte on topic Gaming
I'm not sure what you're calling eagle monsters, but for the boars, it's the dire boars you need to watch out for. Big and aggressive they are. :yoda: I usually try to use stun* when they come charging. * You usually have one attack that will interrupt enemy attacks that are still under build up or push the enemy back. For rangers with a longbow that'd be #4 if I remember correctly. Probably thieves with guns too.

If the bandit chap is the one that's triggered when you open a treasure chest (above the fields with cows and occasional harpy attacks) then it's one I always fail too. But two people can usually manage. (And there's usually someone around to "interfere" if you get the thing started...)

EDIT: as for money, you do sell some loot don't you? Even all the trash "trophy" items help early on when you have few funds...

Any an all misspellings are henceforth blamed on the cats.

25 Apr 2020 21:14 - 25 Apr 2020 22:43 #28768 by Valence
Yep those boars were very dire, in name and action! :)

Not only do I not sell loot, I've been trying not to pick it up for fear of being overencumbered! :lol:
But now you mention it, I did pick up a better gun recently and a different outfit so I may be able to sell of the old ones. :hmm:
I've no idea what this thing is though. :blink:

A pixellated box of fun? :shrug:

Anyway... Made some tentative progress in Enderal and was treated to this pretty sunset...

Mmm, look at all that lovely grass.
(And after seeing all that I've been trying to increase the amount of grass in my slightly sparse Skyrim landscapes too. I know there are mods to do it but they REALLY kill my PC, but I have found some INI file tweaks that make it a bit more lush)
But as for Enderal, so far it's a bit more puzzle-y than a normal RPG and some of them are rather clunky "find a tiny object in this room" kind of thing. One of them was so frustrating that I had to go on YouTube and watch Shirley the Skyrim Grandma play through it. :blush:
Attachments:

25 Apr 2020 22:21 #28769 by Charlotte
You're not affected by how much you carry in GW2 - although you can get a full backpack. You should pick up everything and sell everything you don't need. If you want to craft your own armour or weapons, you can use salvage kits to turn loot into materials instead. Materials can be sent to a materials "bank" directly from your inventory and selling things through the black lion trading company can also be done from anywhere. Picking up the funds can only be done at one of their representatives, though. Crafting materials can also be sold if you prefer that. (Selling trash requires a trader though)

The boxes of fun are one of those items I don't really care for... If you click it you might be turned into something else for a limited time... Like a blob of slime or a tiny golem or something. I think that's the usual effect anyhow.

And yes, that's quite a nice sunset :)

PS: some soulbound things in GW can neither be sold or salvaged. You can destroy them or you can take them to lions arch and toss 'em into a magical fountain that'll give you something else in return. One needs enough items of a certain kind, for that though. I've never bothered much.

25 Apr 2020 22:48 #28770 by Valence
The last time I was over-encumbered it created problems with equipping weapons and annoyed me with a recurring pop up message that wouldn't go away. I remember thinking at the time that I wouldn't want that to happen in a fight so that's why I've been avoiding looting bodies in the middle of battle.
I should just be more organised. ;)

26 Apr 2020 19:45 #28776 by Charlotte
in GW2? I just get a red backpack icon and can't pick up anything else... :dry:

26 Apr 2020 20:16 #28777 by Valence
I think I took a screenshot of that time I was being repeatedly harrassed by that pop-up message but I will admit that it's probably all a result of me doing something wrong. :lol:

And in Skyrim... I'm overencumbered, my horse is overencumbered AND NOW Arissa is overencumbered too! Where's Lydia when you need her? I could do with some kind of wheelbarrow.
I'll be glad when I get back to Belethor's to offload some of it so he can then say, "Dooooo come back."

26 Apr 2020 21:22 #28778 by Charlotte
right. perhaps I just click away that message or something... but as you can see in that screenshot your bp is red too :p

27 Apr 2020 11:00 #28781 by Banj
Replied by Banj on topic Gaming
I started playing Beneath a Steal Sky over the weekend. I think I am close to the end, but it has devolved from fairly entertaining to a series of insta-death scenarios, some of which are caused by the game running too fast and leaving you with no way to escape the problem until you slow it down in the options.

27 Apr 2020 11:50 #28782 by Valence
I remember playing that a few years back but I don't recall any of those performance issues. :hmm:
Or maybe that's just my bad memory.
Took me a lot longer than one weekend to finish. :dry:

Last night Geralt (3) finally told me that the "Wind's howling." :cheer:
My sword and armour are now starting to get a bit damaged and I can't find a crafty person to fix it. Not without fast travelling back to the previous place anyway. Perhaps one will turn up in one of these little villages.