April challenge - Banana for scale!

Deadline for entry:

March challenge Winner announced!

Gaming

27 Mar 2020 10:50 #28480 by Charlotte
Replied by Charlotte on topic Gaming
:D I don't know those controls!
With regards to the numbers, just wait til you get #5 with longbow. That and #2 are favs. (For pistols I think it's #3 I like but it's similar to #2 with a bow; at least longbow - I can't recall what options the short bow has...)

and you ought to open those chests, you know... (I can't recall seeing the first, red, icon on that row... what's that?)

oh and did you notice that sylvari can be bioluminescent in the dark?

Any an all misspellings are henceforth blamed on the cats.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

27 Mar 2020 13:40 #28482 by Valence
Replied by Valence on topic Gaming
I think it's Ctrl-Shift-H to clear the interface, but I've remapped it to the Numpad. :)
And the Action Camera didn't have a default key so I had to set that myself too but now with that on it does play just like all my other favourite RPGs.

Open chests? I have chests? :dunno:
I have no idea what ANY of the icons are. :lol:
I should do some research, shouldn't I?

And I played just long enough last night for it to go dark and show me all the lovely glowing stuff. It was just like Avatar. :)

27 Mar 2020 13:45 #28484 by Charlotte
Maybe you should skip the research and just PLAY? Click the little wiggling icons to the lower right: you get something every day you log in, you get rewards for filling those hearts, and for leveling up of course. They also have some daily quest type things, where you get rewards for each and a bigger reward if you do all five. I think. It's been a while since I bothered with the dailies.

27 Mar 2020 20:40 #28493 by Valence
Just had a quick go on GRID 2 having not played it for ages and the voice-over man greeted me by saying "Hey I thought you'd changed careers!"
Shut up, annoying man! I'll play whatever games I want whenever I want! :stare:

I then crashed a lot.

28 Mar 2020 02:40 - 28 Mar 2020 02:41 #28501 by Valence
The red icon was an invitation to buy Guild Wars 2: Path Of Fire. :confident:

I did not buy, but I did click on all those chests and got some goodies. Then I clicked on some hearts and got karma and maybe coins? And then I clicked on another thing and it asked me to choose one of three things. But I didn't know what I was choosing so I cancelled. :shrug:

Then I was told my inventory was full. I didn't realise I was looting so much. Or at all. :dry:
Apparently I have a dagger, so I tried to switch to that for a while but I couldn't attack with the mouse button any more. I could only use it by pressing 5. :huh:
Maybe because it was an "offhand" weapon? I then couldn't switch back to my bow because "my inventory was full" even though I hadn't picked anything else up, so I had to sell something first and now I can shoot again! :)

It's still occasionally confusing but I'm having fun. :pirate:

28 Mar 2020 11:35 #28502 by Charlotte
Hearts give you karma and coins and also lets you buy things from the people who had that particular heart over their head. Sometimes you can get better weapons, armor or trinkets, sometimes they just sell... well, less interesting things, like stones.

Items called "trophies" are basically junk items and going to anyone who sells things, you can opt to sell junk, and clear up your backpack some. Crafting materials can also all be moved to a crafting inventory kind of thing if you click the little cogwheel at the top of your backpack. :)

I think you can use two weapons from level 7 or so? Not sure, but it takes a little while before you can equip more than one. Eventually you'll also be able to swap between two weapon setups using the § key. (Uhm at least that's the symbol on MY such key...)

And as for making choices, it usually doesn't make much difference. The items are usually comparable in both effect and value. But if it's armor, you might want to choose something either of the type for your character (cloth, leather, heavy) or a skin you haven't unlocked yet. Same thing with weapons, really. All items may have little things attached to them (I've forgotten what they're called...) that can increase damage, precision etc. So you can also make your choice based on which attribute you wish to increase.

Glad you're enjoying yourself :)

28 Mar 2020 21:08 #28504 by Valence

... but yesterday I noticed a big discount on Hellblade: Senua's Sacrifice.

Well I'm glad I didn't buy that! It's just disappeared from Geforce Now! :(
I would have been very angry indeed if I'd wasted eight and a half precious coins on something I'm not able to play!

Anyway, back to games that I CAN play and I suppose I'm gonna be doing that familiar slow walking in Fallout as well. :dry:

I guess I'd better drop something again. :)
Attachments:

30 Mar 2020 00:14 - 30 Mar 2020 00:19 #28513 by Valence
Different game. Same old story. :eyeroll:

But I think I've got another bag that gives me 4 more slots? Also I should point out that I wasn't really trying to say "wwwwwwwwwwww" to anyone. I just wanted to move forward and had inadvertantly activated the chat mode without realising . :blush:

And I've now got a sword that's a little too big for me...

..but it has plenty of BASH! :pirate:
And I got a nice long coat too...

I don't know what that big thing is in the background but it looked cool enough to get it in the shot and it didn't want to attack me so that's OK. :)
In fact just seconds before this a big flappy dragony thing (I don't know what that was either) flew overhead and it was all very exciting, but it was gone before I could press any kind of button. I was dying for those Skyrim console commands that let you freeze and move the camera to get the best screenshot but I guess that kind of thing wouldn't work in an MMO. :P
Attachments:

30 Mar 2020 10:22 - 30 Mar 2020 10:23 #28516 by Charlotte
You'll get more and better bags as you progress. If you're "old enough" to use the trading post you might be able to pick up some 8 slots bags cheap. (I think the maximum number of bags is 5? Though one can purchase more bag slots for each character, for gems).

And don't worry about the wwwwwwww. At least you didn't post it to chat. I keep doing the same thing, but when I'm trying to divide stacks in my inventory I somehow always end up sending actual messages to chat. "[chain leggings]" or something. Out of the blue. But hopefully we're not the only ones... :)

And the great flappy thing was probably another user on a flying dragon mount ;)

Speaking of freezing the camera, you can do that in No Man's Sky and that's an MMO. I haven't really paid attention to whether it just freezes your view, or actual time, though... Freezing time could be annoying if people keep trying to take screenshots where there are other people... :dry:

EDIT: Chain leggings was a really bad example as they don't stack... :dumb:

The following user(s) said Thank You: Valence

30 Mar 2020 20:26 #28530 by Valence
I think there may be a "free" camera that you can move a bit more. I saw the option in the settings but haven't tried it. Without the time pause it'd be a bit tricky anyway.

Went back to The Witcher (1) recently and I've been shoving all those stones in the obelisks. Can't get the last one though. :hmm:
Kalkstein's notes are unhelpful and the quest marker sends me to the detective's house but he's not there! :dunno: