April challenge - Banana for scale!

Deadline for entry:

March challenge Winner announced!

Gaming

20 Apr 2020 11:39 #28715 by Banj
Replied by Banj on topic Gaming
You can disable the auto sheathing/unsheathing in the options. It may just casually switch itself back on though. Just wait until he draws his sword after a cut scene and you realise, after hacking at something for several minutes and doing no damage, that the game drew the wrong sword for the enemy you are fighting. :eyeroll:

p.s. Drowners are really easy :confident: :whistle:

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

20 Apr 2020 13:36 #28717 by Valence
Replied by Valence on topic Gaming

p.s. Drowners are really easy :confident: :whistle:

They're much easier in the first game, partly because of the overpowered Aard spell. You just hit them with it and it stuns them, then while in the stunned state you can kill them with one stroke no matter what their health. It's quite simple and satisfying despite the odd rhythm-clicky combat.

In this one, however, all the spells are pretty ordinary at the level I'm at, so it's all just Big Bashing with whatever sword Geralt chooses. I'm not too bad at killing individual things (the griffin was surprisingly easy) but when the big groups start stabbing me in the back I'm always in trouble. I end up running around all over the place in a way that's so panicky and frantic it makes me yearn for the Benny Hill theme. :)

20 Apr 2020 14:53 #28722 by Charlotte
Replied by Charlotte on topic Gaming
:D *pictures Benny of Rivia with music*

Any an all misspellings are henceforth blamed on the cats.

20 Apr 2020 20:46 #28726 by Valence
There should be a mod for that. :lol:

And speaking of mods. Massive mods! I've just been installing Enderal. Took a while to get it running, it insisted on launching with ultra high graphics which was not a good idea. :nope:
Too much grass and five frames a second. :argh:

After many relaunches and plenty of fiddling I managed to get it to save the low settings and it is playable now even though performance is still variable.
Surprisingly good for a free mod and pretty close to professional quality. Not completely there, but close. :)

I'm now hoping that it doesn't mess up my Skyrim saves/settings. :stare:

21 Apr 2020 11:48 #28728 by Banj

:D *pictures Benny of Rivia with music*

That's pretty much what the TV series is :whistle:

21 Apr 2020 12:31 #28729 by Charlotte
:lol:
I don't think I agree.
The only thing I remember from the TV series is all the hmm-ing

21 Apr 2020 14:09 #28730 by Valence
:lol:
He really didn't like that show, did he?
Just let it go, Banj. :)

23 Apr 2020 12:30 #28739 by Valence
Had a play on Guild Wars last night to try and get my thief up to the same level as my ranger. They're almost the same now, the ranger's 11 and at the start of last night the thief was about 9. I must have taken a bit of a wrong turn on the map though because I found myself wandering into some events that were rated a bit higher than me, but it was a good challenge and it wasn't too much trouble fighting off those centaurs that were trying to steal some grog. :pirate:
Then another event triggered behind me and I had to protect someone who was transporting more of the grog. There was another guy who came along and he was bouncing about all over the place while I was just calmly walking alongside the transport. (Sometimes I think I'm the only person in these games that slowly walks around in a normal fashion. Morrowind has taught me too well. :lol:)
Anyway the two of us battled more centaurs and all was going well until some lizardy things sneaked up on me out of the water and I was suddenly surrounded and overwhelmed. Just like my efforts in the other games, it's not the big beasts that get me, it's the big numbers (having some trouble with large gangs of Falmer in Skyrim too!)
So I died. :cry:
And then went through that rally/fight for your life thing that I don't understand well enough. And I obviously didn't spam the right option because... :dead:
I then chose to reincarnate at the nearest waypoint and it cost me money! :ohmy:
Not REAL money thankfully but in-game coins are still coins to me. I actually don't know how much cash I have in my inventory/bank thingy so I'd better keep an eye on it for future deaths. :dry:

23 Apr 2020 13:17 #28740 by Banj
Much grog

23 Apr 2020 14:09 #28741 by Charlotte
:D I think I know where you were!
That monastery in the human lands, right?

So that other player didn't come to your rescue when you were downed? Bad manners! I don't really get the whole rally thing either - I'm too busy surviving to read what each option does. (though they should be accessible in your hero panel somewhere as well). Anyway I usually just keep attacking (button 1 I think?) - if you can - choose an enemy with really low health - if they die, you rally. Then quickly hit the heal button before someone else takes you out again!

Also if those skelks attacked you in that swamp area at the end of the beer transport, they were probably a bit higher level than you ;)
(That area sometimes has an event (joint, for everyone present) where you have to take out.... some thing... and are rewarded with a nice big chest after)