Deadline for entry:

April challenge Voting open!

CGAN April 2015 Challenge - Me, Myself, and I

21 Apr 2015 09:16 #10255 by SchizophreniaWolf
Valence: haha yep idd
CherryGraphics: thx, Cherry!

Here's an update

Attachments:

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

21 Apr 2015 15:48 #10256 by edtuckerartist
Just a little out of practice but holybatman if I'm not going to let that stop me, or will I?

Admittedly there's not a lot of me, myself or I in this ;)
Attachments:

21 Apr 2015 16:01 #10257 by Charlotte
Hey Ed! Good to see you join in :)
Btw if you don't think Batman is enough "you", I think that photo ref would make for a good musketeer. Just a thought :)

Any an all misspellings are henceforth blamed on the cats.

21 Apr 2015 19:41 #10259 by edtuckerartist
Thought I'd try mixing in your idea of a musketeer - a Batketeer?

Don't know why but my tablet is behaving like a pen that's running out of ink, only drawing when it want's too. :(
Attachments:

21 Apr 2015 20:25 #10263 by hobbyhorse
I've had that comment before about being a bit blurry and soft, yet I use a hard round brush for a lot of it. Is there something in the brush settings that I am over looking? It's on the hardest setting..as far as I can tell. Should I turn smoothing off in the brush panel? or is it because it's just 72 ppi ...no I think someone said that should not matter if your not going to export for printing. I looks fairly crisp on my monitor....is it a monitor problem. When I have done it for print the image didn't have a lot of crisp edges...I just thought it was the printer.

If anyone has some suggestions I would love to hear them. I could always use an unsharp mask at the end but that might make for too many sharp edges. This is a bit frustrating.

22 Apr 2015 00:27 #10276 by edtuckerartist
50ish shades of grey:

Attachments:

22 Apr 2015 02:32 - 22 Apr 2015 17:32 #10278 by jessie
Hobbyhorse: Looking good! I like the softness of this one.

Valence: Thanks hun. Unfortunately the "melancholic-ally" feel pretty much sums up my life right now. Drowning in stress. BUT on a positive note I did add a secondary color so hopefully it helps a little.

Micro: Thanks. I hope I can push this one and finish it in time. Yours is looking awesome. I see we went from goofy to serious. Very nice.

Susie: The snakes are coming along nicely. I love that you're doing them all different. Quite challenging for sure.

Schizo: WOWZA. I really like the lighting in yours. Like Hobby said. Order out of chaos. Love it.

Cherry: I would suggest adding more shadow to the neck area behind the globe to help shorten it a bit? Maybe? Possibly?

Ed! How are you? You know what they say about Batman. Always be yourself, unless you can be Batman...then always be Batman.

22 Apr 2015 08:12 #10281 by Charlotte
Ed: Coming along nicely with the shading! (And I Think it a bit funny to make a batketeer because in Swedish bat = fladdermus (something like fluttermouse) so instead of a musketeer it'd be a fluttermusketeer or fladdermusketör...)

Hobby: to me it's mostly the unfinished areas and the background that look a bit blurry, like the horse's coat. The background blur should work nicely once all the foreground is done, though, I think. :)

Any an all misspellings are henceforth blamed on the cats.

22 Apr 2015 08:48 #10282 by CherryGraphics
Hobby: I always paint at least on 300-500ppi just to have more and finer pixels to give my paintings a good sharpness. When I look at yours I can see the pixels on the edges. Maybe this is why your edges looking fuzzy and blurry and not that clear and sharp. Is there any reason you just paint with 72ppi?

You have to have in mind: pixels are squares. When you draw a line that is not horizontal or vertical you have a visible aliasing.

the left is the example for 72ppi - the right for 300ppi. I hope this makes it clearer for you :)

If I had a world of my own,everything would be nonsense.Nothing would be what it is, because everything would be what it isn't.

Facebook / Behance
Attachments:

22 Apr 2015 11:35 - 22 Apr 2015 11:40 #10283 by Valence
Hobby: I've said it before and I'll say it again... ppi only matters if you're planning on doing a print and then the physical dimensions dictates how much detail is required. (My pictures are always 72.) For images on screen what matters is the pixel dimensions. For professional sort of work this should be at least (at least!) 3000px on one side. (At this point I should also plead guilty and confess that I paint at much less than this due to memory limitations. I never follow my own advice! :) )
Edit: Also the forum requires images to be resized to about 1000px which again renders the original ppi value irrelevant.

Either way I don't think this is a problem for you. As Charlotte said it's just a combination of the out of focus background and the unfinished horse. Once you work a bit more form into the horse's coat, and perhaps add some detail to the grass at the bottom to suggest a progression of depth, then I think the whole picture will snap into focus.