May challenge - Alien excavation

Deadline for entry:

April challenge Voting open!

CGAN April 2015 Challenge - Me, Myself, and I

27 Apr 2015 06:09 #10381 by CherryGraphics
Thanks Hobby & Dom :blush: :lol:

I love all these kittys Hobby :)

good update schizo! The wolf is great and your choice of colors is really nice - the vibrant orange and the blue accents works really well :)
wow susie... a lot of new snakes, mh? They all look so shiny - I really wanna touch them!

If I had a world of my own,everything would be nonsense.Nothing would be what it is, because everything would be what it isn't.

Facebook / Behance

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

27 Apr 2015 14:11 #10389 by edtuckerartist
Going to try and spend a few hours today improving my painting! (posting that so I now have to do it :ohmy: )

27 Apr 2015 18:38 #10391 by edtuckerartist
Attachments:

28 Apr 2015 00:06 #10392 by Susie1981
Hi All,

Another night in and seem to have got on with it!
Ed - nice perspective, its going to be nice to see you bring the two styles/characters together.

I am not yet 100% on the background - gonna see what it looks like in the morning. Let me know if you have any thoughts :cheer:

Attachments:

28 Apr 2015 00:21 - 28 Apr 2015 00:33 #10393 by Valence
Susie: That's looking great now that the picture is filling with colour, all those different hues are playing off each other really well. And those snakes are awesome. There's such believable texture in those snakes that, unlike Cherry, I don't want to touch them. I really don't! :unsure: and I don't have to because I can tell what they feel like by just looking. The colour, the form, the variety and that slithery shine. Perfect. Can't wait to see what you'll do with the eyes.

Ed: All the colours are working fine now, it looks like a unified image now just as you said it would. It just needs a few highlights to pick out the form of the figure, especially the logo on the chest so that we all know who this fearsome super hero is.

Schizo: I like that better now. Having a clearer silhouette for the figure makes him much more prominent, just as he should be. It also improves the overall lighting of the image and you've done it without sacrificing the dynamic angles. Nicely done.

Edit: Thought I'd typed this bit first but clearly didn't so...

Hobby: Liking the progression including the work on the horse. I'd perhaps push the light and shadow a bit more on the head to emphasize the way that it's bending towards us away from the body, maybe adding a darker cast shadow on the neck and extending it just under it's face to push it all back behind the head. But the image is still reading very well as it is.

28 Apr 2015 16:53 #10400 by hobbyhorse
Valence- the horse's head was bothering me as well so went back to my reference to see what I missed. It did need to be more tucked around and I think it reads better.

susie- As others have mentioned the color in the BG works well and the snakes are wonderful.
Some love needs to be given to your face to bring it up to the level of the snakes..but looking good.

Ed- This is coming along nicely, and the ramparts look very realistic and contrast well with the more distant buildings and landscape....down to the final detailing on the figure and face.

Cherry- Thanks

Schizo- Agree with valence on the way the piece is working better.

I think I'm done unless you guys see anything that stands out, that I can change.

Attachments:

28 Apr 2015 17:05 #10401 by Thomgirl
Damnit... you guys would be doing self portraits again... They're looking awesome, I wish I could join in :( I might try, but time is... really not on my side with this now.

28 Apr 2015 18:46 #10402 by Valence
Hobby: Excellent changes there and they're so subtle it took me ages to work out what you'd done yet it makes an obvious difference. That extra light on the horse's neck and the dark edge to its nose really helps to explain that curve towards us and fixes the head in three dimensional space so that it's clearly connecting with the cat at the same depth. Well done.

And Susie (again): I kind of agree with Hobbyhorse. I liked the face before but the snakes are now so very good that you could use a bit more work on the skin. I think the colours are working it just needs a bit of softening with some kind of blender brush to get the texture nice and smooth. Keep going, it'll work out for you.

29 Apr 2015 04:23 #10403 by microscopi
Update, haven't really been commenting much but definitely will in the finals, i'm almost done with mine, going to work on the background a bit more and forearms then pretty much done :woohoo:

Attachments:

29 Apr 2015 07:01 #10404 by SchizophreniaWolf
Valence: Thx! I often start somewhere like a mad man and then I clean up :lol:
hobbyhorse: Thank you!
CherryGraphics: Also thx! But I changed the color of the sky, because I started adding buildings in the back and I suddenly wanted a more realistic enviroment.

Attachments: